Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Dale Sr

With Daytona coming up this weekend. And the ten years since we lost Dale Sr. How many others are thinking of this great loss? I was a big fan of the Intimidator. Been spending the evening watching tributes to him on youtube.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

Jr seems to pull through at times like this.....maybe his show this weekend. What could be a better finish!
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we havent watched any nascar since his death until this past weekend and i saw a glimpse of the nose to tail drafts and got re-engaged so to speak

then i watched the "day" i beleive, sort of gave us closure
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
......You gotta give Jr.credit, he has handled it just like Sr.would have wanted him too. What an inspiration and tribute for him to continue, and with all that's wrappred up inside of him, he keeps on going to the front. Wish him well, we will be pulling for him, the POLE says a lot.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #5

Nascar sucks anymore with all the rules. It all started as " I have a chevy that can beat your ford."...you do what you want to your car and I'll do what I want to mine. Thats where we got competition not only on the track but from the dealers and new products. They eliminated the Iroc races because nobody watched them. Iroc was everyone had the same make and nearly identical cars. The only difference was the color. Boring !! So what does Nascar do make rules so all the cars are even. They tell them everything about the way the car has to be. They even all have the same car....The Car of Tomorrow. They regulate everything about the cars and I've even seen where they tell the drivers they are being to aggresive. How the hell can you be to aggresive when you are racing??? You can't pass below the line...even though it's part of the track. They are doing just like the goverment and football, telling everyone what to do. It's not racing anymore it's a bunch of cars going in circles. It's a joke. Dale Sr would have quit racing but now it's all about the money not the sport!
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Loved Dale Sr., and we too remember that sad day 10 years ago. Good luck to Dale Jr. at Daytona!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hard to believe it's already been 10 years. How time goes by so quick. Haven't followed much Nascar since the accident but do hope Jr. has a good race Sunday and maybe even finish with a win. Nothing could be better to jump start him again.
As far as Nacsar goes as mentioned in a previous post, to many rule changes for me. To me racing is about who builds the best car and brings it to the track and smokes the competition. All these templates, engine checks throw that stuff out the window. How about a few years back when Jr. won a race at Talledega I believe and had been in a wreck during the race. Now, can someone explain to me how the templates fit that car as they did before the race???? I don't care how bandaged up a car is before or after a race, heck if it's the fastest then that's all that should matter. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
NASCAR has gone to ''spit'' with all the rules.
Racing was when Richard Petty brought a ''Hemi'' and the Ford people brought a ''tow rope'' and a big ''gang'' to try to catch him at Daytona.
Racing was when Yarborugh went wide open if he was first or last in the pack.
Racing was when Walthrip cried like a child when he lost and acted like a fool when he won.
NASCAR aint worth the ride to the track any more.
NASCAR is more exciting than watching paint dry or the grass grow but that is about it now.
Of course this is just my opinion......

God bless our troops ....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Back in the Late 1950s early 1960s I was involved in racing. It was get a car do some work on the engine (sand/polish) the valves track flow the heads; Put it togather and go racing;; What fun A case of beer for the winner. Then that $%@@%^% Winston cup got involved next Nascar And the big buck sponcers. And the family weekends were gone forever;; And thats Progress; I don't think so;; Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
I guess I'm too old and remember too much. The 60s were fun with Fireball Roberts in his Pontiacs, the 427 high riser Ford Galaxie fastbacks with David Pearson et al, Petty and his Plymouths and always waiting to see how far Smokey Yunick could bend the rules with his Chevies (does anyone else remember his 7/8 scale Malibu that he would never park near anyone else's car? That's why we have body templates today.)

Nowadays it's spec cars with drivers recruited more for their ability to do commercials for the big sponsors. How do you think NASCAR would respond today to Cale Yarborough and the Allisons having their on the front straight at Daytona in 1979?

Oh, well, time goes on, and everything we call progress isn't necessarily....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We still miss Sr. I think he would have been very disappointed with how racing is today.
Did anyone notice, when they re-did Daytona, they painted over the spot where Sr crashed. That had previsouly been left unpainted.
NASCAR is now all about the money, very sad
phxmtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
Nascar sucks anymore with all the rules. It all started as " I have a chevy that can beat your ford."...you do what you want to your car and I'll do what I want to mine. Thats where we got competition not only on the track but from the dealers and new products. They eliminated the Iroc races because nobody watched them. Iroc was everyone had the same make and nearly identical cars. The only difference was the color. Boring !! So what does Nascar do make rules so all the cars are even. They tell them everything about the way the car has to be. They even all have the same car....The Car of Tomorrow. They regulate everything about the cars and I've even seen where they tell the drivers they are being to aggresive. How the hell can you be to aggresive when you are racing??? You can't pass below the line...even though it's part of the track. They are doing just like the goverment and football, telling everyone what to do. It's not racing anymore it's a bunch of cars going in circles. It's a joke. Dale Sr would have quit racing but now it's all about the money not the sport!
Corporate sponsors ruined the sport. They do not get my money now.
My #3 racing jacket now has a broken zipper and is retired.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I still sport a big 3on the front of my Motorhome. You would be amazed at how many thumbs up I get, especially in the south.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #14

Not that it really matter at a restrictor track, but Jr wrecked his car during practice and is uing his backup... which means no pole starting. Well he keeps the "pole" but has to move the back before green flag. As i said before doesnt matter, jr will be up front quickly
leenchar is offline   Reply With Quote