Saw this in RV Travel newsletter.
A warning about grilling: Danger lurks!
I posted this article last summer in this newsletter, but it's good information. So while I am away on vacation I have posted it again for those of you who may not be aware of this potential danger to your health and even your life.
Be careful the next time you eat a hamburger or other product cooked on an outdoor grill. There could be danger lurking in the form of undetected wire bristles left by grill-cleaning brushes. The problem is so serious that the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recently issued a consumer warning.
The small wires can work their way into the hamburgers or other food being grilled, and then into you. Such ingestions happen, and the results are not only extremely painful but deadly if not treated immediately, usually with emergency surgery.
Six cases were identified at one hospital system from March 2011, to June 2012. All six reported outdoor residential food grilling and use of commercially available wire grill-cleaning brushes. Injuries ranged from puncture of the soft tissues of the neck, causing severe pain when swallowing, to perforation of the gastrointestinal tract. Severe pain on swallowing was the chief symptom in three of the six patients. In all three of these patients, a wire bristle from a grill-cleaning brush was found in the neck. Two patients underwent emergency abdominal surgery to retrieve the foreign object and repair the intestine. In one patient, the wire had not perforated the intestine and was removed via colonoscopy.
: In fall, 2013, a teenage girl in Delaware ate a grilled hamburger and ingested a wire from a grill-cleaning brush. It punctured her colon and required surgery and weeks of recovery. In June, 2014, a grandmother in Washington state almost died after ingesting a wire from a grill brush and it became embedded in her intestine. Following surgical removal of the wire, she acquired an intestinal infection due to the wire puncture. The infection shut her intestines down and required almost total isolation in the hospital, the use of a feeding tube and a long period of recovery. There are more examples of this danger, too many to list here, but you get the picture.
TO PREVENT SUCH OCCURRENCES
, before grilling examine the grill surface carefully for bristles that may have dislodged from the brush and could then embed in cooked food — or perhaps find a way to clean the grill without using a wire brush.