Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dangerous burgers!

Saw this in RV Travel newsletter.

A warning about grilling: Danger lurks!
I posted this article last summer in this newsletter, but it's good information. So while I am away on vacation I have posted it again for those of you who may not be aware of this potential danger to your health and even your life.
Be careful the next time you eat a hamburger or other product cooked on an outdoor grill. There could be danger lurking in the form of undetected wire bristles left by grill-cleaning brushes. The problem is so serious that the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recently issued a consumer warning.
The small wires can work their way into the hamburgers or other food being grilled, and then into you. Such ingestions happen, and the results are not only extremely painful but deadly if not treated immediately, usually with emergency surgery.
Six cases were identified at one hospital system from March 2011, to June 2012. All six reported outdoor residential food grilling and use of commercially available wire grill-cleaning brushes. Injuries ranged from puncture of the soft tissues of the neck, causing severe pain when swallowing, to perforation of the gastrointestinal tract. Severe pain on swallowing was the chief symptom in three of the six patients. In all three of these patients, a wire bristle from a grill-cleaning brush was found in the neck. Two patients underwent emergency abdominal surgery to retrieve the foreign object and repair the intestine. In one patient, the wire had not perforated the intestine and was removed via colonoscopy.
Update: In fall, 2013, a teenage girl in Delaware ate a grilled hamburger and ingested a wire from a grill-cleaning brush. It punctured her colon and required surgery and weeks of recovery. In June, 2014, a grandmother in Washington state almost died after ingesting a wire from a grill brush and it became embedded in her intestine. Following surgical removal of the wire, she acquired an intestinal infection due to the wire puncture. The infection shut her intestines down and required almost total isolation in the hospital, the use of a feeding tube and a long period of recovery. There are more examples of this danger, too many to list here, but you get the picture.
TO PREVENT SUCH OCCURRENCES, before grilling examine the grill surface carefully for bristles that may have dislodged from the brush and could then embed in cooked food or perhaps find a way to clean the grill without using a wire brush.

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
I heard of that years ago...I have taken the grills of after every use and washed them. That said, I would bet that folks use the same brush for years. Probably wouldn't have the problem if you bought a new brush every BBQ season.

Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #3

I use a metal spatula to clean grates. Don't want or need them to be spic 'n span; because the pre-heating phase turns what's left to charcoal before new meat touches the surface.
Works for us, anyway!
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Wet newspaper cleans hot grill quite well.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
The easiest way to clean a grill in my opinion is to get it real hot before or after cooking and use a spay bottle of water and a paper towel. Chefs have used this technique for ages - look up deglazing pans or bbq grills. There is a product called the grill daddy that works on this principle. It has a wire brush that drips water but you really don't have to put pressure I n the bristles to clean the grill.
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
franknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee, and I thought this was going to be a link to "The unhealthiest restaurant meals" which featured a few different burgers.

Sorry do not have the link handy.

My grill was always washed (Soap and water style) after brushing.. Today I no longer use it. Oh well.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
I thought this thread was more epic!
Attached Images
Frank (RVM88), Lourdes, ChiChi and Coco!
Newmar 2016 DSDP 4381, 2016 Jeep Sahara Unlimited, Blue Ox Alladin Towbar with SMI Air Force One[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FRasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Forest River Owners Club
Another reason why I like using my George Foreman grill......
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Entegra Owners Club
Unhappy Happened to my neighbor

Our neighbor's wife almost died for this very reason earlier this year. She was in the hospital for three months and then rehab for six weeks. A lesson for all of us for cleaning our grills.
Beth and Dave with Hope the Boston Terrier rescue
and her little Boston Terrier boy-toy, Winston
in a 2015 Entegra Cornerstone 45J
BethLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
I thinks it more like a 1 in a trillion odds, but I use a regular steel wire brush, and then just wipe it down with a paper towel.

2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote