Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #15

Heres the latest:
Went down to the shop today to complain about the 54 degree air;
This is I found out; they had installed a reconditioned compressor; (used, rebuilt, someones junk that most likley didn't work), I paid for a new one (compressor) $330.00.
I priced them on the internet at three diferent places, got prices of new compressors from $285.00 to$335.00.
I made an appointment for tuesday to get the compressor cnanged and a new one put in.
Bottom line is this:
I charged all this on my credit card; this will be the fourth time I've been to this shop to get the air fixed; If they don't get it fixed correctly this time I will call the credit card company and deny all the charges.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Yep.. if the bill says 'NEW' then you should get 'NEW'..

I had a half shaft replaced once.. went on a trip and it went bad. Came back, they changed it out then tried to charge me! I told the guy, in the waiting room with at least 5 customers, that 'no way was I paying for a new axle when you already cheated me for a used one from a salvage yard'. People started looking at their paperwork and each other...

Some people..

First time I used somebody else in 15 yrs, and that was because I was hurt.. Never again.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
the 20 below ambient value is really for the roof-mounted r22 units. and it is 20 degrees below intake air, not outside air.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #18

When I first went it to the repair shop and they said the compresser was bad, I agreed to have a new compresser installed; I look at my bill and it says replace AC compressor. That compressor they put in was faulty and leaked freon, I went back and they replaced it with another; the statememt I got says that the compressor was replaced with a remanufactered compressor. ( my opinion of a remanufactored compressor is that it is a used one that is just painted up to look new); maybe they ,may have put new seals in it; but in my estamiation it a used compressor.
When I go in tuesday, I have a feeling I'm just going to get a big run around.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
actually, a rebuilt compressor should have new seals, gaskets, bearings (if replaceable), valves and rings. it should be as good as new, if done right.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
actually, a rebuilt compressor should have new seals, gaskets, bearings (if replaceable), valves and rings. it should be as good as new, if done right.
True" if done "right"; the one that was leaking that they have replaced was putting out 39 degree air at the vent before it died; the remanufactored one they put in puts out 54 degree air. this is what I'm not happy with.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #21

I have checked and checked the internet; from the information I can get; (except from the ones that appear that they haven't a clue) is that the air cominig out of the center vent when the air is on max and is set to recirculate, should be between 36 to 44 degrees.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
36 degF is a little low. You are running the evaporator dangerously close ot freezing conditions and the refrigerant will be below freezing. It should be middle to low 40's degF.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
I was charged $320 for a remanufactured compresser; I priced new ones on the internet, got prices from a low of $269 to a high of $318, for a new compressor delivered.
If given a choise, woud why would anyone; (not me), buy a remanufactored compressor, (unless the price was reduced), instead of a new one?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
I was charged $320 for a remanufactured compresser; I priced new ones on the internet, got prices from a low of $269 to a high of $318, for a new compressor delivered.
Yes, but you're buying a new compressor from a supplier...most shops will want some 'mark-up' if you buy the compressor from them. Most shops will not install customer supplied parts from an 'unknown' source. On the other hand, some sleaze shops will buy used parts of unknown quality for the high yield...not reliability. You should expect some mark-up on that shop supplied compressor. Just say'n...Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Yes, but you're buying a new compressor from a supplier...most shops will want some 'mark-up' if you buy the compressor from them. Most shops will not install customer supplied parts from an 'unknown' source. On the other hand, some sleaze shops will buy used parts of unknown quality for the high yield...not reliability. You should expect some mark-up on that shop supplied compressor. Just say'n...Bob
Agreed:
The old gal is in the shop now; I took her down this morning; they said they would make it right, we will see.

Tags
dash