Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Dental Insurance for Retirees?

I'm lucky enough to have retiree medical insurance until Medicare kicks in, but it doesn't include dental insurance.

I know many head south of the boarder to get work done but DW says that's not in the cards so I'm curious about how many retirees carry dental insurance and if there are any recommendations.

Thanks,

Rick
__________________

__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
ChileRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Palm Desert, Ca
Posts: 630
I retired almost 4 years ago. I can buy dental through my retirement benefits, but it is sooooo expensive, I don't carry it. I have found that it is less expensive just to pay for my dental work. I take what I would have paid in insurance and save it for any large dental expenses.
__________________

__________________
2012 Winnebago Sightseer
2003 Wrangler
...and a dog named Belle
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
GaryKD's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wellington, Florida
Posts: 12,324
Google "dental insurance" and you will get many choices to review and make a decision. Currently I am in a dental HMO. This is not like medical insurance. I found all the plans have limitations, deductibles, co-pays and monthly premiums. When the remedy has choices (good, better or best) the plans pay for the good choice with no way to upgrade.
__________________
Gary
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,139
Hi Rick. This is what we have.

http://www.careingtoncare500.com/
It's more of a discount plan vs an ins policy. The yearly premium is absorbed by 2 cleanings each and the discounts on other items such as crowns is a few hundred $.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Hi Rick. This is what we have.

Careington Care 500 | $6.95/mo | 1-800-515-7401 - Careington Care 500
It's more of a discount plan vs an ins policy. The yearly premium is absorbed by 2 cleanings each and the discounts on other items such as crowns is a few hundred $.
This sort of plan gives you access to the discounted price that the insurance company would actually pay the dentist rather than the price you are billed. Not all dentists will accept it, but in our area there are quite a few on it.
__________________
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jack1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 967
Rick....good luck with your quest for affordable & quality dental care insurance ( suspect this maybe an oxymoron). I understand your wife's natural concerns with Mexican dentistry, but I think you would both be wise to reconsider this option and do some more research. We lived in Mexico for over 10yrs and while we were both very healthy during that time, our experiences with both doctors and dentists was always comparable to anything North of the Border. We also had many friends who experienced quality care.

Having said the above, you do need to do your research and be sure to check references and word of mouth recommendations. This forum has many members who have used the Algadonas option and could provide you with some solid first hand references and experience. If it were me and I lived in Phoenix, I'd research a couple of recommendations and then plan a quick trip to Yuma/Algadonas. I'd have my teeth cleaned at one dentist and my wife's cleaned at another....this would give me an opportunity to inspect the facilities, interview the dentist, review & compare prices to the US and scope-out the situation before having anything serious done.

Hey....what's the down side......if you're uncomfortable with the Mexican scene you can still grab some cheap Viagra from the Purple Pharmacy and your home for dinner!
__________________
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Rick....good luck with your quest for affordable & quality dental care insurance ( suspect this maybe an oxymoron). I understand your wife's natural concerns with Mexican dentistry, but I think you would both be wise to reconsider this option and do some more research. We lived in Mexico for over 10yrs and while we were both very healthy during that time, our experiences with both doctors and dentists was always comparable to anything North of the Border. We also had many friends who experienced quality care.

Having said the above, you do need to do your research and be sure to check references and word of mouth recommendations. This forum has many members who have used the Algadonas option and could provide you with some solid first hand references and experience. If it were me and I lived in Phoenix, I'd research a couple of recommendations and then plan a quick trip to Yuma/Algadonas. I'd have my teeth cleaned at one dentist and my wife's cleaned at another....this would give me an opportunity to inspect the facilities, interview the dentist, review & compare prices to the US and scope-out the situation before having anything serious done.

Hey....what's the down side......if you're uncomfortable with the Mexican scene you can still grab some cheap Viagra from the Purple Pharmacy and your home for dinner!
A person living in the PHX area doesn't have to travel all the way to Yuma, I found a great dentist in Nogales. In my case, the Mexican dentist fixed a $4,000 screw up by an American dentist, for $600.
__________________
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jack1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat
A person living in the PHX area doesn't have to travel all the way to Yuma, I found a great dentist in Nogales. In my case, the Mexican dentist fixed a $4,000 screw up by an American dentist, for $600.
Not to purposely high jack this thread, but in the interests of anyone else wrestling with whether or not to consider the Mexican option......Algadonas is pretty much set-up as healthcare facility for Americans. You do not need to take your car ( thus no need for vehicle insurance) to cross the border (massive parking lot providing millions of $$$ in revenue for the local Native Indian band). Selection of health care professionals (doctors, dentists, opticians & taco stands) highly concentrated in an area that is safe and can easily be accessed on foot. Visited by many members of this forum so it is easy to solicited first hand experience and recommendations...But to your point....probably all sorts of people in Phoenix have used Nogales with great success and can provide excellent advice.
__________________
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
WheelingIt's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On Wheels
Posts: 1,983
No dental insurance for us either. We've gone to Los Algodones for dental care and been very happy with it. It's super easy to go...just park on US side and walk across. The town is only a few blocks large and has everything you need. Our care was quality and inexensive.
__________________
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Thanks all for the insights. Maybe I'll have to start working on the DW and her views toward southern dentistry. Some good options to consider though.

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
WheelingIt's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On Wheels
Posts: 1,983
If you helps you any I wrote 2 detailed blog posts about our experience in Los Algodones with lots of links which also generated a bunch of interesting comments:

http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2013...g-myths-facts/
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2013...es-experience/

Might help you decide if it's for you.
__________________
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
WheelingIt's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On Wheels
Posts: 1,983
Another idea (not to hog the thread) are Dental Schools in the US. Many Dental Schools will offer very low cost care in return for more of your time in the training of their students. This can be a real alternative for folks too worried about south of the border. You can expect longer wait times, and possibly multiple days in the chair, but it can be very inexpensive.
__________________
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Alan_Hepburn's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: San Jose, Ca, USA
Posts: 1,045
When I retired my company paid for dental insurance for the first year. After that I was on my own so we shopped for an affordable plan - the best we found was going to cost us $70 per month and they would cover anywhere from 20% to 60% of services depending on what the service was. BUT they would NOT cover ANYTHING for the first year - so, we'd be paying $70 a month for the first year and not getting any benefit from it. We decided to talk to our dentist and work with them on a payment plan and be self-insured. So far it's worked well for us - when we owe them money we pay up to $300 per month, with no finance charges, 'til the bill is paid off.
__________________
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Not to purposely high jack this thread, but in the interests of anyone else wrestling with whether or not to consider the Mexican option......Algadonas is pretty much set-up as healthcare facility for Americans. You do not need to take your car ( thus no need for vehicle insurance) to cross the border (massive parking lot providing millions of $$$ in revenue for the local Native Indian band). Selection of health care professionals (doctors, dentists, opticians & taco stands) highly concentrated in an area that is safe and can easily be accessed on foot. Visited by many members of this forum so it is easy to solicited first hand experience and recommendations...But to your point....probably all sorts of people in Phoenix have used Nogales with great success and can provide excellent advice.
I've been to both places and you are right, Algodones has much more of everything! But, Nogales has $4 parking right at the border and a much shorter walk to the dentist! My point was that if you live anywhere near Tucson or east of Nogales, there really is no need to travel over to Algodones.
__________________

__________________
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
insurance



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.