Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2004, 06:18 AM   #15

Sycamore,

All US dental schools offer excellent care for 25 to 50% of the usual US cost of care. This compares well will what you are considering. I have done some dentistry in Mexico - in a large city that has a dental school of it own and I can tell you there is a great difference when compared to dentistry in the United States. The education does not compare but the greatest problem is lack of equipment that makes great treatment possible.

Sounds like advice and not information.But honest concern without any financial motive.
wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2004, 06:57 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's another Google search that may help.

http://www.google.com/search?q=denta...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wave:
Sounds like advice and not information.But honest concern without any financial motive. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>wave, Thanks for posting your "information".
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #18

Heed the Man and say thanks.He is just telling it like it is and did not speak out of turn.Good advice is some times looked at as bad.But bad is never looked at as good!Try and find a man in the U.S.A.and You will be the one on top in the end I would bet.My .02 and Merry Christmas!!John
Old 12-30-2004, 03:13 PM   #19

Check your cost estimates closely, nowdays the south of the border dental charges have gone up!. Last year my son went down there and paid $2000 for a set of plastic dentures that he could not even wear. No warranty or follow up of course.

Grandpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:19 AM   #20

We just had major dental work done at Dr. Julio Alor in Progreso, Mex. (south of Weslaco, TX)and are very pleased with the work. He was recommended by friends who live in the Rio Grand Valley and were pleased with his work. We had several root canals and porcelein crowns, bonding, fillings, etc. We would go back there in a heartbeat. The cost was about 20-30% of the US cost. A neighbor RVer had their top-of-the line dentures made there three years ago for $500 and said they were the best ones he had ever had. Check with other RVers in your RV park for recommendations. They can be very helpful for suggestions on dentists and where to buy medications. You won't be the only gringo there.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #21

I can vouch for the quality of dental work in Mexico. Due to radiation therapy (not complaining) my healty teeth just melted. We got some recommendations from Taxistas and they have been working for two winters on my mouth. Almost done. Our US dentist complimented the qualty of work. My wife recieved very powerful whitening treatments at 1/3 the US cost! Do your homework and get referrals and brush up on your Spanish.
Note: We are a considerable distance from the border. My cost analysis shows that even with airfare and hotel we would still be way ahead!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #22

We've been going to Mexican dentists for well over 15 years. It all started when our American dentist said my wife had 3 crowns that needed to be replaced and I needed two. We went to a Mexican dentist who said we only needed one crown each.

Then a year an a half ago when I had health care coverage I went back to an American dentist as it covered a check up, X rays, and cleaning. I told them I'd been going to Mexican dentists for many years. The dentist complemented the work that had been done. However, the hygienist didn't clean my teeth, but she did bill the insurance company! What she did do was tell me I needed a very deep cleaning that was very expensive. My Mexican dentist assured me that I didn't need it.

So the two times in over 15 years that I did go to an American dentist they attempted to rip me off for services I didn't need!

I read some comments about poor equipment and poor quality dental work. Like anything else there are good and bad it does make sense to get recommendations. I just went to the dentist here in Puerto Penasco. They cleaned my teeth with ultra sound. They had digital X-rays that show immediately on a computer screen. It does however, take 24 hours for them to make a crown on site. They also do implants. A crown cost $250.00. I have no idea what you might pay in your area but you can do the math! What kind of equipment are they missing?

We've been in Puerto Penasco for 10 days now. Other than a wind storm the weather has been fantastic. You can see the view from my front window. The shrimp are fresh and amazing. We've found several restaurants on this trip that are truly amazing. They are doing a lot of construction going on. If you haven't bee here in a while you'll be surprised when you return. Don't let paranoia stop you from enjoying life!

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slides
2005 BMW K1200LT
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PP2011 002.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	9033  
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
LAS VEGAS, NV. as cheap or cheaper! and your in vegas.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #24

Vegas? I here most of the Dentists are Mexican anyway. HA
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon man View Post
LAS VEGAS, NV. as cheap or cheaper! and your in vegas.

Really? Post the name of the dentist that charges $250 for a crown in Vegas or anywhere for that matter?
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #26

Do you need your RV engine fixed? Get an American. Do you need advice on a good dentist. Most people judge a dentist by how much pain they experience and how it feels afterwards. Not very scientific, but what do you know about science, you just want a good dentist who is cheap in Mexico.
lowpasslew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #27

I am a retired Periodontist who used to treat periodontal disease. It is painless and is treated by deep cleaning and later possibly gum surgery. Ignored, it causes pain, swelling, and loss of teeth. If you ignore periodontal disease, it results in loss of teeth and possibly dentures. The inflammation of periodontal disease can cause strokes, heart attacks, and other unpleasant problems in an RV. Go see a Periodontist to ensure that your mouth is as healthy as you ASSUME that is.

Lewis Larson, DMD
Periodontist
lowpasslew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
this is a very slow thread over 10 years and i am #28 with nothig to add
brianj