Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The dealer and I came to an agreed price over the phone for a particular unit. I put down a $1,000 refundable deposit on a card, flew down with a cashier's check for the balance (they picked me up at the airport) and drove home in my new motorhome. No biggie. Been a happy camper ever since!

2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 05:01 PM   #16
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
My last used purchase, they asked for a refundable $500 deposit. I told them no thank you. They said they needed it to apply for financing. I said 'Fantastic, I don't need financing so you don't need $500." They stammered around for awhile and then tried the familiar line about needing it to know I was serious. I still said no thanks and started working on the negotiations. The deal moved quickly and they never asked for a deposit again. My point, deposits are just something they want to hold over your head - say no - absolutely no to a non-refundable.
Can I ask where you bought your motorhome? Thanks.

BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
It was in the Glendale, AZ area. I don't have the dealership handy but I can look it up if desired.
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
When I was shopping for my current moho I went to a dealer in the next county over. I was driving my old 73 Winnie and was interested in buying a brand new 98 model, no trade in. But with cash, you know, that green stuff! The salesman wanted me to give them $20 to show that I was serious. We wrote up a contract, settled on a price, picked out our colors and I got out my check book and wrote a check. Then the sales manager came over and told us that it would be $10k more for some forgotten reason. I told him that we had a signed contract and he had taken my $20! I was politely ushered out the door. Wife and I went up the road 30 miles and stopped at a restaurant to celebrate our good fortune of not buying at Le Mesa RV. Well, there sat the salesman eating dinner on our $20! I didn't ask for my $20 back, but the fella was so uncomfortable that he got up and left in the middle of dinner. True story!!!!!

I bought from Lichtsinn motors in Forest city Iowa, over the internet. I knew exactly what I wanted and didn't want. Had some things added, others deleted. Gave me a price that was $15k cheaper than Le Mesa, before they tried to add on the $10k for exactly the same model. After we had a signed contract I paid him $5k up front because it was a special order. It was refundable should something unforeseen happen. Balance due upon delivery. It was ready for us when we flew in. No hidden charges or extra bullpucky. He even sent a car to pick us up at the twin cities airport. Moho was hooked up and running ready for us to occupy. He received our UPS shipment of cloths and tools and put them in the moho. Then gave us a free rental to run around town and go on the Winnie tour. What a great dealer!!! Over the past 18 years I've used their parts department many times for body parts as well as hard to get chassis parts. Gotten nothing but good advice from their service department. Nice folks to deal with.

Boy, do I sound like a commercial.....
May your black water hose never break!
lonfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #19

Like so many other responses, I would never put down a non refundable deposit.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:46 PM   #20
Entegra Owners Club
Deposit Required to Purchase - Really???

A refundable deposit was required for two out of our three RV purchases. One answer for this was that" We just can't let any Tom, Dick, or Harry come in here and ask to test drive a vehicle". Well, I know who the Dick is .. And did not deal with him again!Who, in their right mind, would purchase anything for over $375.000 plus, without a test drive?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Krafty52k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #21

We were asked to put a $1K deposit down after we had negotiated the price via e-mail. It was refundable if the coach was not as presented, which was vague enough for us. Since it was a price that worked for us and we could not see the coach for a few days it seemed fair for them holding it off the market. Turns out when we got there 4 days later to view the coach they had not run the card to charge the deposit. After inspecting it we told them to run the card and we would be back in a week to pick it up or so to pick it up. This was our first purchase and it all sorted itself out.
Bill & Laurie | 2016 Monaco Trek 26HMD - CHF - Roadmaster RSSA Steering Stabilizer - SuperSteer SS400 Trac Bar | 2005 Honda Element - Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar - RVIBrake2 System | TireMinder TPMS |
rvtrekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #22
I put a $5K non-refundable down on our custom coach order (Newmar). It seemed reasonable to me as I was asking the dealership to encumber his floor plan and business to order me a coach that may or may not have been easily salable if I walked away. Not that I had any intention of it. And, if for some reason, if I couldn't have purchased the coach, a 2.5% deposit didn't seem too bad to put at risk considering the total cost of the transaction.

2016 Ventana LE 4040
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
BlueOx BP w NSA ReadyBrute
pilotspike is online now   Reply With Quote