Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2007, 03:19 AM   #1

Anybody have a list of chain restaurants that have heart healthy and diabetic sections on thier menu?

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2007, 03:19 AM   #2

Anybody have a list of chain restaurants that have heart healthy and diabetic sections on thier menu?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #3

I am not sure of any chains, but I know Disney World is awesome about special dietary needs. My dd3 has a gluten intolerance similar to celiac disease (that is what she was originally diagnosed with) so we know which restaurants have gluten free foods. At Disney you just let them know and they will cater to your special dietary needs at no extra cost. The chef at each restaurant would come to our table and ask us specifically what she liked or did not like and offer a suggestion. If she said yes, he would make it for her. They even had gluten free rolls for her.

Anyway, as far as heart healthy and diabetic foods, I think most major chains are coming around. Even McDonald's offers grilled chicken sandwiches on "wheat" bread. It is not whole wheat, but it will do. If you can't have that much bread, you can always ask for it w/o the bun or take the bun off. I always ask for it with no mayo and ask for a packet of honey mustard instead. It is quite good. Stay away from the fries. They do have apples slices that you can buy as well.

A lot of restaurants, such as Applebee's and Outback, will have a little heart or the like next to selections that are heart healthy. My advice would be to either go online or call your local chains and ask. That is what I did with my dd who can't have gluten. They are more than happy to help. The internet is a wonderful place as well. I joined a group for celiacs on yahoo and they have more information than I could ever need.

Try going to yahoo and searching the groups for a diabetic group. Many will have databases with lists of restaurants and the healthy choices at each.

Good luck in your quest for healthier foods. Good news is that it is getting easier now.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #4

The thing is,my whole eating habits have donr a 360.Its easy at home ,everthing has labels. I will be eating out of a hotel room for a week next week in Atlanta,wanted to see what I was in for.I have done a lot of research before I posted.I know a lot of people here have Diabetes,so they are like pros at the restaurant thing.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #5

Personally, I think chain restaurants and "heart healthy" are mutually exclusive, but that's just my opinion. I know a lot of restaurants have a heart symbol for so-called healthy alternatives, but I don't think that's regulated, so you only have their word for it.

I believe the best way to go is just to educated yourself on what is good and bad for you, and try to figure out what menu items might work. Then ask for any thing special you might need--my experience has been that most places are willing to try to accommodate you. If they refuse, leave.

My wife and I are vegetarians and have been totally spoiled here in North CA, so we had to learn the hard way how to order on our trips around other states. Some places don't know what a vegetarian is. Funny story, one place we stopped at in Wisconsin had "macaroni and cheese" as the vegetable of the day!

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #6

Check with some of the Diabetes support groups. You should be able to find them online as well as the website for the Diabetes foundation. They should have the info you are looking for.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #7

Frankie check this out Hope it helps

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #8

Thanks every one ,Sue thats a great site.