Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel Fuel

Were can all members get a break on Fuel.
Any truck stops?. If so get us the name...
Rocky1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
For us the Kroger super market chain provides shoppers with discounted fuel based on purchases. In my neck of the woods Kroger is King Soopers and Loaf 'n Jug. They have lots of other names too, perhaps Fry's in your area. Besides regular grocery shopping they offer 2X fuel points on gift card purchases and throughout the year they run specials with 4X points. The gift card rack has Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, and lots of other stores that you may shop at. I always keep some HD, Lowes and Amazon cards on hand and on a typical month I get between 50 cents and a $1 off a gallon of gas or diesel. There are several of the gas stations near me that are plenty large enough to get the coach in and out of too. I'm pretty sure other super market chains off the same program. I don't know any other opportunity to save this much money on fuel with no additional expense or legal way to get it.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We also use Kroger when home. On the road we have a Flying J plus card that gives $.06 discount on Diesel. If nowhere close just use cheapest truck stop and pay the price. Several apps for smart phone that helps me find best location and price.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Here are the apps that I use while traveling in the RV, in order and free:
Trucker Apps - DAT - locations of truck stops, prices of most fuel, rest area locations and walmarts
GasBuddy.com - GasBuddy Mobile Applications - of course fuel prices
Love's Connect - fuel prices and locations of Love's truck stops
Pilot Flying J - fuel prices and locations of Pilot's/Flying J's

If we are in the car and not the RV then Gas Buddy is what I use most but in the RV those are the ones in order and yes I search all of them when it close to time for us to stop for fuel.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good Sam members get a 3¢ discount at Flying J's, or get the GS/FJ Plus card for 6-8¢
Bank of America Visa CC for 3% off. In the fall Discover card 5 % and both can be used with the GS 3¢ card.

Walmart Gift card for 3¢ off at Murphy's and at special times 10¢
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Some parts of the country have better discounts than others. The station discounts are usually higher price than a stations down the street street with no discount. The CC discounts are good at any station. Walmart prepaid cards are good and some states have much better discounts than my state. We suck for any kind of discounts.

Use GasBuddy on my phone and fuel when I need it at the best price for the area I am in.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Big truck stops have the highest prices. Sure they give you a discount...that might bring it down to what everybody else charges. I avoid them if possible.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1971 View Post
Were can all members get a break on Fuel.
Any truck stops?. If so get us the name...

Not a truck stop or location but PenFed credit card gives 5% on fuel purchases which is about 20 cents a gallon for diesel plus what other discounts such as Flying J card.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #9

diesel

although I agree that truck stops are more expensive I have always been told that it is worth the price since less chance of getting contaminated fuel that is more prevalent at a low volume station. Any truth to that?

Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Sams Clubs that have diesel usually a lot cheaper then regulars stations in the area at least here in western NY.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #11

Kroger is: Kroger, City Market, Dillons, Jay C, Food 4 Less, Fred Meyer, Fry's, King Soopers, QFC, Ralphs and Smith's. And they do higher volume now (smaller underground tanks, quicker turnover) as the RVs now flock to them.

And they have many newer stations with good pump access now. My 42+toad have been in many of them, last time next to a Prevost with a big covered trailer.

To top that off, Loves and P/FJ are often in the same block and 15 to 25 cents higher. $15 to $25 savings per 100 gallons is driving lots if business to the new stations. I would gladly buy from P/FJ if they would be competitive.

GasBuddy and Google Earth gets lowest price at a station with good access.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoffat View Post
although I agree that truck stops are more expensive I have always been told that it is worth the price since less chance of getting contaminated fuel that is more prevalent at a low volume station. Any truth to that?

Jim
We use FJ and the Discount Card through Good Sam. 6 Cents off the pump price and it's a credit card. Yes I will only buy fuel from a high volume truck stop like Flying J or Pilot (same) Bad fuel will ruin the whole day. Not worth it to me.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
We use FJ and the Discount Card through Good Sam. 6 Cents off the pump price and it's a credit card. Yes I will only buy fuel from a high volume truck stop like Flying J or Pilot (same) Bad fuel will ruin the whole day. Not worth it to me.
I second that motion.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The reason we check the apps that we do is that we find the cheapest price with the closest station to where we are headed. Sometimes that is truck stops and sometimes not. Double check on several places about what the prices might be because you never know who might have it cheaper.

Tags
diesel, fuel