Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
We are going to the big Ft. Worth RV show this next week. I'm trying to get a feel for the current best quality diesel pusher company out there. Here in Texas we hear a lot about Newmar and Tiffin. I'm reading more and more about Tiffin's quality going down. Coming from the telecom industry where quality and dependability has improved enormously, I find it difficult to read about the RV industry's quality problems. Any thoughts or comments on the quality of certain RV companies?
You might want to add American Coach and Entegra to your list. Keep in mind that all the mfrs use pretty much the same components (engines, a/c and heating, Aqua Hot, generators and even variations in chassis) and those seem to be where the quality issues arise.

Right now it seems Entegra owners are very happy wth the customer support.

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #16

Going used and worth the $?
Mine has an "M" on the front and back, Camelot on each side, a side radiator, a tag axel, and an RR10S chassis.
Whatever you do, NEVER drive one.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:02 AM   #17

Older country coach has been great for us.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #18

I was working on a Workhorse chassis looking at a trans leak and when I got out from under it I looked at the name on the Coach . Tiffin, I thought they were good quality but this looked terrible underneath. Shotty wiring, screws missing there intended location everywhere.
Maybe there pushers are better ?
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:31 PM   #19

Oh my!
Old 01-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Where are these RV "rankings" that someone mentioned? A google search doesn't turn up any really reliable sources, and forums generally turn up passions with people exemplifying their own choices. I can find individual coach reviews, but rankings are a blank? Am I missing something?
Old 01-11-2016, 12:55 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We bought our first RV last year, never having even owned a tent trailer before. I decided I wanted a DP right from the start knowing how we would use the rig, pull a toad and desire all the room and amenities a Pusher can provide.

Although it was my first purchase I can tell you I didn't purchase Jair anything. I had some specific criteria for the coach spec, floor plan, manufacture reputation etc...but the coach criteria only came after I determined the what I found acceptable from the chassis first. Once I figured that out it really narrowed things immensely.

Flood plan, heating systems color schemes and all that, well you will find something that suits your fancy from one of the builders mentioned so far. Try starting underneath it all.

I chose a Newmar btw, a Dutchstar in particular which is a great trim level for us.

Good luck!

P.S. Do buy used, you will save thousands and be just as happy!

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Used is the way to go. After my Father retired from the Marine Corps he went all out and purchased a Newer Allegro Bus while i inherited his 96 American Eagle and man is she a tank. Lets just say she hasn't even been broke in yet with 45K miles and i have no problems, runs strong and very powerful with the Banks Kit. Needless to say thats not the case for the my dads Allegro Bus. His has been in and out of the shop. Newer isn't always better. There are plenty of great older coaches out there. Do some research and see what you can find. American Coach, Newmar are great brands.
USMC_1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
We are going to the big Ft. Worth RV show this next week. I'm trying to get a feel for the current best quality diesel pusher company out there. Here in Texas we hear a lot about Newmar and Tiffin. I'm reading more and more about Tiffin's quality going down. Coming from the telecom industry where quality and dependability has improved enormously, I find it difficult to read about the RV industry's quality problems. Any thoughts or comments on the quality of certain RV companies?
In RVing there is "high end" and then there is "High End". Overall diesel pushers are gererally high end compared to gas A-class coaches and most C class.
Within the DP category though you have the "attainable" high end and the true high end. At the "attainable" level you have makers like Foretravel, Newmar, Entegra, Tiffin, Country Coach, etc. At the truly high end you have companies like Marathon, Millennium, Liberty, Featherlite Coach, Newell, and some others I can't recall. The "attainable" high end is around $500k while the truly high end starts at about twice that.
The question is, how big is your budget?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:22 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
In RVing there is "high end" and then there is "High End". Overall diesel pushers are gererally high end compared to gas A-class coaches and most C class.
Within the DP category though you have the "attainable" high end and the true high end. At the "attainable" level you have makers like Foretravel, Newmar, Entegra, Tiffin, Country Coach, etc. At the truly high end you have companies like Marathon, Millennium, Liberty, Featherlite Coach, Newell, and some others I can't recall. The "attainable" high end is around $500k while the truly high end starts at about twice that.
The question is, how big is your budget?
So, where in you scenario does our 2009 CC Magna with a $749,750 sticker price fit in?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So, where in you scenario does our 2009 CC Magna with a $749,750 sticker price fit in?

Scatterbrain mentioned Country Coach and said that the ones in that category are ballpark at $500,000 and up. CC doesn't fit in the next category which starts at $1,000,000
Old 01-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #26

If you're not 100% sure what you want, find a good deal on a used RV. Eventually, you will find things you wish were different and have a better idea what features you need. Since you got a 'deal', you won't loose you tail in depreciation and can then trade in for the "perfect" setup. We did that with our first travel trailer. If depreciation isn't an issue for you, then go for new.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
JMHO but go used and spend as little as possible on your 1st one. We bought a new Coachman TT in 97 and sold it after we bought our 93 Monaco. We love it and we paid cash and it was less than the cheapest Kia. It is a 2 owner (Brothers) with great service records.

We're not sure if we can ever fulltime so we won't be out much if we can't.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi gosman, well I see that you have plenty of reply so I figure I would put my two cent worth. I'm now semi retired but always was in the Trucking industry. First went I was younger I was mainly driving highway run and in time had a fleet of five truck. Later on purchase a Truck Repair Shop and sold the Trucks, run the repair shop for 22 years. At the same time always had RV trailer and now on my third Motor Home which is a 98 American Dream made by Fleetwood. I personally purchase a older model 4 years ago for a few raison, First I'm also a mechanic and purchase it as a Hobby doing some upgrade to the unit. But what I'm finding out is that I'm having way less problem with my old rig that friends of mind are having with there new MH
and spending more time working on there rig then working on mine and going to the same places, doing about the same mileages per years. One friend have a 44 ft 2015 Mountain Air, $600,00. rig and in the last year he spend more time at the dealer for warranty repair that he did driving it. He telling me never again will he ever buy a new MH just to much problem with them. A second friend two years ago purchase a new 44 ft Newmar fully loaded for $450.000, spend most of the first year at the dealer and is now back at the manufacturing plant, have to replace the hold front cover with windshield and surrounding framing. Could not stop this unit from water leak at roof cap joint and around windshield. Plus he had electrical problem that they also have to fix. For sure today new MH model are build cheaper and faster and way to expenses for the quality product your getting. 10 to 15 years ago each ten unite build you could hit 1 or 2 lemon in the bunch, today product you will be lucky if you get 1 or 2 trouble free no matter how much money you put out. SO that say I'm a bit more like most guys before me, if your a bit of a all around handy man I would suggest you buy a use model no less then 4 to 5 years old were most of the bugs already been taken care off.

Tags
diesel, quality