Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2018, 06:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
California has their own rules and everyone knuckles under them. If they deem it, so be it! Just my thoughts! Fuel for thought, they are planning only elec. cars in the future!
Yup, electric cars are the way to go. I leased one of the first Nissan Leaf's to arrive in the US. Best car I have ever owned hands down. Range was a bit short but I never had an issue during the 36,000 miles I drove it. Now that Chevy is making the Bolt with 200+ mile range and Tesla coming out with a reasonably price car with 200-300 miles range. (My best friend is getting his model 3 in a few weeks)
The most amazing part of the Leaf were the services. The 7500 mile service was a tire rotate, the 15000 mile service was a tire rotate, new windshield wipers and a cabin filter. I had a separate meter put in that included TOU rates for midnight to 5am charging resulting in my daily 50 mile round trip commute fuel costs were 95 cents, my SDG&E bill averaged $24 month.
-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
It doesn't mean that some US cities won't try.
The cities won't have to. In most of the states with large cities those cities control the state legislatures.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:07 AM   #17

Here's an excellent documentary about extreme air pollution in China (I wonder how this got past their censors?). Contains some graphic scenes of London and Los Angeles before any air quality controls were implemented.

And, rather than banning diesels, why not just set emission standards and let the manufacturers work to conform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
... has anyone been to China lately?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #18

My son-in-law has a VW diesel car and got caught up in the scandal. He is a high mileage driver, and has elected to take the money that VW throws at him and run the car into the ground. Too bad; I drove it once and got some 50 mpg. With proper pollution controls, the car would still be impressive. But no, thanks VW for screwing up the diesel option. On a recent trip to Mercedes Benz with our Sprinter RV, a salesperson told me that you won't find any diesel cars on their lot.

Our 2009 Navion rode on a 2008 Dodge Sprinter chassis; a 3.0L diesel with a DPF. At a campground, I was being educated by a Granola Head that I was ruining the planet and giving him lung cancer. I grabbed a Kleenex and swabbed the exhaust pipe on the Sprinter. "OK pal, now try this on your jalopy." Of course I directed his attention away from my diesel generator. Our new motorhome on a 2016 Mercedes Sprinter now has an SCR system that uses DEF, in addition to the DPF. This allows the engine to be tuned to produce more torque and horsepower as the SCR cleans the NOx from the exhaust. I'm confused. Do they not have this tech on vehicles sold outside the US? If so, is it not good enough to meet Euro standards?
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #19

I try to avoid most (All if I am able) cities anyway.

We are going to Carlsbad this spring from Alabama and I must find a way around Ft. Worth Dallas.
Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco1 View Post

We are going to Carlsbad this spring from Alabama and I must find a way around Ft. Worth Dallas.
Off topic a bit, but why the big concern about Dallas/ Ft Worth??? We take I-20 straight through and don't have a lot of problems. Yes, we try to avoid the high drive times, but we keep our speed up, stay toward an outside lane and go right through. We usually run it 1-2 times a year. Too many people get in too big a panic about city traffic. Our rig is 70'+ with the tow and DW or I have few issues in the big cities.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #21

Next thing you know they'll wanna take away our horses! Question; when the switch to cars was ongoing in the teens, did anyone complain that the streets were no longer clogged with horse manure? Track the decline in flies?

Times change (wasn't there a song about that?)
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco1 View Post

I-20 exit 589 (longview) TX31 to TX 22 to TX 6 takes you below and around DFW. probably an hour or so longer but a nicer drive. I went that way the last two trips to Alamogordo
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #23

I guess I will have to void Berlin as well as California
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
Yup, electric cars are the way to go. I leased one of the first Nissan Leaf's to arrive in the US. Best car I have ever owned hands down. Range was a bit short but I never had an issue during the 36,000 miles I drove it. Now that Chevy is making the Bolt with 200+ mile range and Tesla coming out with a reasonably price car with 200-300 miles range. (My best friend is getting his model 3 in a few weeks)
The most amazing part of the Leaf were the services. The 7500 mile service was a tire rotate, the 15000 mile service was a tire rotate, new windshield wipers and a cabin filter. I had a separate meter put in that included TOU rates for midnight to 5am charging resulting in my daily 50 mile round trip commute fuel costs were 95 cents, my SDG&E bill averaged $24 month.
-Bill
So, how much "greenhouse" gas was produced in order to charge you battery every night? Unless you are serviced by nuclear or hydro, greenhouse gases had to be produced to create your emission free energy.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
So, how much "greenhouse" gas was produced in order to charge you battery every night? Unless you are serviced by nuclear or hydro, greenhouse gases had to be produced to create your emission free energy.
Yep, other issues as well. I have a cousin who's a major player in the power generation and distribution in the northwest multi state power system who says they are looking at serious issues caused by these electric vehicles when everyone comes home from work and plugs in and the lights go dim. Of course folks will try the midnight to 5AM trick until everyone does it, then watch the power bill soar. I'd also be concerned about getting home from work with my electric car, then taking the kids to a school function, Mom out to dinner and a show, pick up the kids, get home and plug in and then have to make an emergency run to the hospital for one reason or another. Oops, out of power. Just have to push, or run??? No thanks. The technology will have to get a lot better and the grid expanded vastly until I get on this band wagon. Too many down's and not enough up's for me right now and the foreseeable future.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Here's an excellent documentary about extreme air pollution in China (I wonder how this got past their censors?). Contains some graphic scenes of London and Los Angeles before any air quality controls were implemented.

And, rather than banning diesels, why not just set emission standards and let the manufacturers work to conform?
If you look into what has been going on with automotive diesels that is sort of what the US government did. The problem is that the specifications the lawyers set exceed what the engineers seem to be able to do. If they can do it the cost is a lot higher than advertised.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Almost everything in a "big city" has gotten there with a diesel engine truck or worse for environment a "Bunker fueled" ship. In the future yes, today not practical.
landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #28

Can't tow an electric car.

Tags
diesel