Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

Different car, same keys

One day I drove 2005 Chevy Aveo to walmart to buy studd. I come back out and got in car and drove away. Few minutes later, I realized that the interior and stuff was wrong that this car wasnt mine.
I drove back to parking lot and I see the owner putting their stuff in my trunk. I got out and walked to them. They looked at me like who is this laughing stranger coming up. I said "i thought thats was my (their) car. All the stuff was wrong inside."

Oh man we had a laugh. Almost traded the cars and not even know it. Both us and owner, we both have exact keys in to both exact same ignitions!
Who had this happened to others?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

That's crazy! Years ago friends of ours opened up their trunk and a car that was two doors down with their remote door fob.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #3

Buddy's Buick Ignition key would open the door locks on my Bronco and Start it.

My Bronco key would do neither on his Buick
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

My first car was a 1938 Buick (bought in 1970). I lost my ignition key and a coworker said "try mine." His 1968 key worked like a champ. Buick used the same key for at least 30 years.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafManiac View Post
One day I drove 2005 Chevy Aveo to walmart to buy studd. I come back out and got in car and drove away. Few minutes later, I realized that the interior and stuff was wrong that this car wasnt mine.
I drove back to parking lot and I see the owner putting their stuff in my trunk. I got out and walked to them. They looked at me like who is this laughing stranger coming up. I said "i thought thats was my (their) car. All the stuff was wrong inside."

Oh man we had a laugh. Almost traded the cars and not even know it. Both us and owner, we both have exact keys in to both exact same ignitions!
Who had this happened to others?
The last time I experienced this was in a De Soto. Same interior and exterior. Got in and drove half way home before putting everything together. Went back to the parking lot to find the folks were just getting to their car. There was just one car between the two. We all had a good laugh and went on our way in our own cars.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-kolby View Post
That's crazy! Years ago friends of ours opened up their trunk and a car that was two doors down with their remote door fob.
Haha, our remotes didnt work. At first I thought it was malfunctioning before I figured out that the car wasn't mine. Same thing for other. Lol
Old 09-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #7

Many years ago I had a 49 Chevy and lived in a college dorm. One of my friends asked to borrow my car to take his girlfriend out to a movie. The next day he gave me the keys back and said to thank me he filled it with gas. Don't know whose car he used but it wasn't mine. Could have used the gas.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #8

that is crazy!
Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
In the 70s worked at a Ford dealer and they had a key ring with about 50 keys on it to open any Ford
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a 59 T-bird, any ford key would start it and open the doors. The convertible top key control which was supposedly key the same as the ignition would only operate with my key.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
a bit of a hoot reading these posts ... i’d forgotten about the “one key works everywhere” thing back in the day.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #12

When in high school in the 60s our family had a 62 suicide door Continental, black on black. One evening when my Dad got home he asked, "who's here?"
Not understanding my Mother said, "no one, why". My Dad said, "then who's car is in the driveway".
Turns out my Mother went to the store and came home in another black Continental BUT it was black on RED and she didn't think to wonder about the different interior color!
My Dad drove it back and parked it on the other side of the lot, found ours and drove home :-)
Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #13

I locked the keys in my 97 Winnebago. The camping world sales helped out with their ring of keys for used units on their lot. Only took 3-4 tries before they found one that worked!