Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
It seems to me that there are many people dead because of what those two are accused of doing. I cannot believe that either of them are sane! I believe both should be convicted in a court of law and should be punished if found guilty! War is hell! Some manage to do their duty and return home and lead normal lives. Others cannot! I support them all for doing their best! However I will find it impossible to do that if they are found guilty.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And there is the situation in, I think Florida, where the "Neighborhood Watch" Type shot the resident young lady's boyfriend, admits it, and has yet to be arrested.

Yes, multiple standards do exist, it is one of the things that really ticks me off.

In the case of the soldier, however there is an excuse. This is an international incident, and in order to keep from a senseless war, we need to resolve this and show the foriegn country that we do not cotton to this kind of behaivor.

In the case of the Fort Hood shooter. IT is domestic, not an international incident, and thus... Well there are many in this country opposed to the death penality. And of cours ein this country YOU HAVE RIGHTS (or so they tell us. alas they also deny them right left and center).

There is more. but not only do I not wish to go there.. I fear if I did the moderators would be required to moderate (Which is to say I'd not be able to blame them) so I won't.

But you are right, Mulitple standards DO exist and that offends me.

And not just in cases like this. I have many examples.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by longarrow View Post
For those thinking we're made progress in Afghanistan or Iraq...just watch! We haven't even cleared out of Iraq yet, look what's happening. Afghanistan is no different. ANYONE who thinks those countries will ever have a government like ours, freedoms like we do is "smoking something" They have been killing each other for 2000 years, we're not gonna change that. We have the weakest people in the highest office I've ever seen. This soldier has been the service 8 years, working on his 4th tour in a combat zone, has to walk around on a base where AFGHAN soldiers shoots American soldiers. I've been in his shoes (24 years). The American people need to stand up for our soldiers. Not saying what he did was right/wrong. He, his family and all of our soldiers, sailors, marines and air force needs our prayer and support. We need to our soldiers out of these places. If we not willing to fight a war and WIN, don't waste our soldiers lives.
I agree with your thinking 100%!
Who knows how messed up this guys mind was from 24/7 stress being in a potentially close combat situation for 4 tours of duty?
It seems the media have let that little tidbit slide under the carpet.
He needs help; as do many of our returning and soon to be returning soldiers.
They might not have lost their lives but a large chunk of their minds will never be the same.
They need our help.
To heck with the Afgans and Iraqis....Those are our kids over there, and for WHAT?

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #18

CiderDog,

Well said. Both were horrible crimes. Both should be dealt with harshly. Both should be called what they are. WRT the one in Afghanistan, we don't yet have all the facts; the full investigation should find the facts (although I suspect he will be found to have been drunk and mentally ill) and he should be tried without political influence. WRT to Hasan, the crime should be related to terrorism (based on what facts are already known) and he should be tried without political influence. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the administration will meddle in both cases. Under the UCMJ, command influence is not permitted in military trials. We'll see.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I want to point out that Longarrow had information regarding Afghan soldiers killing American soldiers. The specific incident I'm talking about is where the two were standing guard in a tower and the Afghan soldier shot the Amarican soldier in the back of the head.

Where is the outcry? Where is the news? I wonder why you don't hear much about it.

The Afghan soldier was turned over the the Afghan government for disposition. I was told that they take care of these matters very quickly.

So if the Afghans demand and get their own soldiers and prosecute them under their law, it is only right that the U.S. get their own soldiers and prosecute them under U.S. law. Don't you think?

There are different standards for everything. Why?

I could give another different standard of a recent trip to Mexico, but it would definitely be banned.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
For those thinking we're made progress in Afghanistan or Iraq...just watch! We haven't even cleared out of Iraq yet, look what's happening. Afghanistan is no different. ANYONE who thinks those countries will ever have a government like ours, freedoms like we do is "smoking something" They have been killing each other for 2000 years, we're not gonna change that. We have the weakest people in the highest office I've ever seen. This soldier has been the service 8 years, working on his 4th tour in a combat zone, has to walk around on a base where AFGHAN soldiers shoots American soldiers. I've been in his shoes (24 years). The American people need to stand up for our soldiers. Not saying what he did was right/wrong. He, his family and all of our soldiers, sailors, marines and air force needs our prayer and support. We need to our soldiers out of these places. If we not willing to fight a war and WIN, don't waste our soldiers lives.
Amen!

Quote:
I agree with your thinking 100%!
Who knows how messed up this guys mind was from 24/7 stress being in a potentially close combat situation for 4 tours of duty?
It seems the media have let that little tidbit slide under the carpet.
He needs help; as do many of our returning and soon to be returning soldiers.
They might not have lost their lives but a large chunk of their minds will never be the same.
They need our help.
To heck with the Afgans and Iraqis....Those are our kids over there, and for WHAT?
Couldn't agree more!

This post political,,,Naaah just the truth in many more ways than one!
When are we going to learn? It never changes!
Old 03-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Think of it THIS way: The guy that killed the Afghanis did far worse for us than the guy that killed our troops. The guy that killed the Afghanis has single handedly reversed every progress we have made towards our goals in Afghanistan, making all the kids who have died and were wounded over there, and their families, INCLUDING the ones Hassan wounded and killed, sacrifice in vain. Now, if we are to achieve the stated goals, we have to start over. How many more of our guys will have to die because of what this guy undid?

Hassan was a lunatic, and he did some terrible damage shooting up our guys. This other guy's actions made all of our sacrifice over there for nothing. To me this is unforgivable, and Hassan's crime pales in comparison.
Hassan's actions were premeditated and heinous. The soldiers were a reaction to an internal demon. Where do we put Jared Locher in the mix.

BUT, we are not the Judge/Jury in either case.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 03-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
My sentiments exactly...
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
Old 03-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #23

With regards to the Afgan incident, if you have never been in combat, you may not understand.

Everyone has their mental limits, and this soldier, after seeing many of his fellow soldiers killed by 'civilians' had obviously reached his. To him, and to many others, they are all the enemy, and although this is the most publicized to date, it happens in all conflicts as it has for century's.

In the big picture, this incident is nothing more than a minor blip on the radar screen.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
The Ft. hood shootings are not considered an act of terrorism but have been classified by the DOD as 'workplace violence'.
Lawmakers Blast Administration For Calling Fort Hood Massacre 'Workplace Violence' | Fox News

The tragic shooting of the 17 year old in south Florida has been classified as "self-defense' by the Sheriff's department, based on their evidence at the scene.. It is being investigated by a Grand Jury, the Governor, Florida Dept Of Law Enforcement, and the Federal DOJ for starters. Every media outlet and publicity hound in the country, has their version of what happened based primarily on sensationalism with few facts and a great deal of misinformation.. It has both families and the entire community devastated. How this could have escalated into the death of an unarmed young man is very difficult to imagine.

Thanks longarrow for your comments.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Longarrow, who are you referring to when you say, "We have the weakest people in the highest office I've ever seen." ???
Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I agree, 100%. Wake up America.
US Navy Vet.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #27

Win? Win what? There is nothing left to win in Afganistan. It's all tragic, and I am a proud veteran as many are on this forum. Lest we forget it wasn't long ago that the US assisted in the arming of what were then called the Mujahideen. I seem to recall a shoulder fired rocket bringing down a Russian helicopter on Dan Rather's (60 minutes) cameras when Russia was involved in a War in Afganistan. The roles have been reversed and there is nothing there to fight for, or Win. Bring our sons and daughters home, put them to work building quality motorhomes, and don't expect other cultures to change.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
My feelings also. Want to see if double standards exist in the United States? Burn a Bible in public. Then, burn a Koran.

'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Closed Thread