Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 AM   #1

I watch a program on Food Network a great deal that focuses in on some of the countries "best" road food.

I got to thinking that the folks on this forum must really be experts and have some great experiences with some of the countries best Diners and Drive In's.

So that begs to ask this group the question... What is the best Diner, Drive In or Dive out there?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 AM   #2

I watch a program on Food Network a great deal that focuses in on some of the countries "best" road food.

I got to thinking that the folks on this forum must really be experts and have some great experiences with some of the countries best Diners and Drive In's.

So that begs to ask this group the question... What is the best Diner, Drive In or Dive out there?

Old 02-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
For those interested, here is a link to a file for your GPS showing locations for Diners, Driveins and Dives.
Diners, DriveIns and Dives

Here is another link for some good eat spots in Missouri.
http://www.ruralmissouri.coop/rmEATS.html
Old 02-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #4

Barbara & Deans Diner Phoenix Arizona

i dont like eating out too much, i realy like my Wifes cooking, or my cooking, so thats the deal, and you can drive thru (Like my kids)
mom, can you make me Pork Chops... i cant make them like you hehe
Old 02-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Well, for true Diners, Mel's is really good, but I have to travel to Cali-town to go visit that one.

Now, good ole fashioned home cooking back here in Oregon, we've got:

Wooden Nickel (Silverton, OR)
Markum Inn (Markum, OR)
Dairy Lunch (Salem, OR)
Stonefront Tavern (Salem, OR)

Now, a good place to a good Cigar, dinner and a drink, there's just the Sport Den in Beaverton, which is part of the Northwest Grille, which is part of the Shilo Inn on Canyon Rd E.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #6

One of (if not THE ABSOLUTE) best places to eat is Lambert's. They have 3 locations, Foley, AL, Sikeston, MO, and Ozark, MO. The only one that I have been to is the one in Ozark. The food there is Southern, down-home, country style with generous portions. They have plenty of room to park your RV. Lines can be long at times, but so well worth the wait. We live about 20-25 minutes from it, and take company there whenever we can. My hubby is not one to wait for seating, but we have waited as long as 1 1/2 hrs, and didn't mind it a bit. Here's their website: www.throwedrolls.com Check them out if you're near one of them.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Martin,

Terrific idea!!

The Lambert's in Foley, AL, (AL Hwy 59) is good. I'm usually almost full on the "pass-a-rounds" by the time I get my order.

Further south on "59" in Gulf Shores, AL, is the Original Oyster House, a truly fine seafood restaurant. Not fancy or overly expensive (no lobster or king crab), just terrific food.

While in the area, check-out Smokey's BBQ in Pensacola, FL, on US 29 a couple of miles south of I-10. I have yet to find anyone else's to match their BBQ.

Good steaks and atmosphere can be had in Pensacola, FL (E Gregory Street) or Destin, FL, at McGuire's Irish Pub (US 98). Salads you won't believe and a chance to "kiss the moose".
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #8

Right on.
This is great stuff.
I am going to try to hit all these places this summer.

MG
Old 02-22-2008, 06:07 AM   #9

We.ve just discovered a good restaurant in New Port Richey,Florida called Christo's.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #10

I second thr recommendation on Lamberts

http://throwedrolls.com/

They have 2 other Locations Sikeston MO just off I-55 and Ozark MO just off of US65 just South of Springfield heading toward Branson. There is a overnight campground behind the Ozark location.

We have been to all 3 locations and our waist lines show it.

We also chase Rib places one my wifes favorites is a real "Rib Shack" in Texarkana Arkansas across the road from the FlyingJ, it does not look like much but the food is good.

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Martin,

If you get down to my area, and I'm home (which I'm going to try not be - I want to be in your area), I'll be glad to show you around. Send me a PM and I'll give you my number. This really goes for any of the forum members.

JC2

That's a really good website. I'll have to put them and all the rest on my travel list. (Another list to keep up with - my travel list, my shopping list, my honey-do list, etc)

Here's some more I thought of:

Red Bay, AL: Lunch downtown at the Piggly Wiggly. You can also restock on your groceries.

Foley, AL: The Gift Horse Restaurant, US 98 1 & 1/2 blocks west of AL 59. Buffet style of some the best food you have eaten. Has some variations on the standard stuff. Try their praline sweet potatoes (candied yams). Some desserts come with the meal, others are extra. Either way, no reduction in the waist-line here.

Pensacola: The Marina Oyster Barn, off Cervantes Street. Small place on the Bayou. If you're looking for Mullet, look here. Other seafood dishes as good.

Pensacola: Bailey's Farmer's Market, Davis Hwy.
Big servings of down home cooked veggies with a different meat each day of the week. Lunch only M-F. Get your veggies & fruits while you're there.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 AM   #12

I've seen that show on the Food Network also. Pretty neat, also like the BarBQ cookoff series. On that note I'll put a little place, Cranky Franks BarBQ in Fredericksburg Tx. up against all the famous ones, Rudy's, Cooper's, etc. Little hole in the wall on US87S.
Miss Sue and I do a little getaway to Percy Quinn SP in McComb, Ms. Really nice park and fairly close, 100mi., but we go to eat. In town is the famous, Dinner Bell that's mainly open for lunch. It's an older house that has round table, lazy Susan type dining. The larger tables seat 18, with the food in bowls that are constantly being refreshed on the lazy Susan. Wow, pork chops, chicken & dumplins, turnip greens, field peas, sweet potatoes, squash, cornbread, roast pork & beef, mashed potatoes& gravy. If it's southern cookin, it's on the table. $9 weekdays, $10 Fri.& Sat and $12 Sun. Make a reservation on Sun. Then they start serving desserts, wow. When you leave you have 16 new friends, maybe more if you're a slow eater like me.
Then just down the road from the SP is a very large Catfish place, Mr. Whiskers, only open on fri & sat evenings and always packed. To be able to compete with the little mom & pop catfish houses that are all over the So. Miss. piney woods is an accomplishment.
Wherever you go, go hungry.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:07 AM   #13

Another place you have to stop is up in Des Moines, IA. There's a local Burger Chain called "B Bops" that is great! As the name suggests, it's a 50's themed place. Last I knew, the only one that has indoor seating is the one in Altoona. The others are all drive-thru. They are off the path, and may be a bit difficult to find, but well worth the effort. Just go to the internet Yellow Pages, and type in B Bops in Des Moines IA and you will find them. We try to get there every time we are up in Des Moines....get to craving those burgers!!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:51 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by full-timer:
We.ve just discovered a good restaurant in New Port Richey,Florida called Christo's.
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, yeah, Full-Timer, Christo's is terrific - moderate price, huge quantity, and Delish!!! Specialties in Greek, Italian, Steaks, and a great breakfast, too. Always a wait during busy times. Actually located in Trinity, just SE of New Port Richey, in the shopping center behind Panera's Bread. Christo's faces SR 54.
Address:
3136 Little Rd
Trinity, FL
727-376-4082

Millers, Lois & John
38 FDDS Alpine