Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #1

Direct TV and Carryout Dish

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. We have Direct tv at home and four receivers one of which we put in our mh when we travel. This past summer we traveled to Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico and always had service with our in-motion and with our carryout when it was necessary to use it. After being home for a few months, We took the receiver out of the house and back in mh and have not been able to get a signal yet on either in-motion or carryout. Have talked with Direct and they are not much help. It keeps saying it is not receiving a signal but I know both of the "dishes" are working as you can hear them cycle looking for signal. We are not doing anything any different so this is confusing. All connections are good, view of southern sky is good and all is powered up. What gives?
augar boy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That does sound like a weird one. I know because I have different types of dishes in the stick house and coach I have to go through the set up process each time I go from one to the other to tell it what dish I'm using but that's the only thought I have.

Good luck...

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #3

That is strange, as a Rcvr that isn't even activated will receive a signal on channel 100. Before we had our automatic dish installed on the roof, we used a portable dish and an old Rcvr to do the alignment so we didn't have to take the good Rcvr out of the rig. Worked fine for the alignment even tho it was no longer active. I do know that if a Rcvr doesn't receive the normal guide updates for an extended period, you either have to call DirecTV to have a reset signal sent, or go to your account on-line and have it reset. Good luck
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, as stated in the above post, you need to have the receiver reset. Some receivers have a reset button also. You can usually do it yourself by calling 1-800 DIRECTV and following the menu, or wait for the next available representative to help you.

Dieselclacker
Old 12-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPugVA
New to this thread and site. Is Direct TV the "standard" for MH/TT reception? Are there alternatives (eg Dish)?

Have seen other discussions on this site. Don't need tracking/motion - just want to watch Food TV network when we get there.
OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you using the same receiver that worked with your Carryout and in motion before?
I have Direct TV and used a SLM 5 HD antenna with my TT and MH. Some times no mater what I did I could not get a signal when others around me could. I bought a Carryout a few months ago. I took a receiver from the house, same one I had been using with the TT & MH before. I had verified this receiver was working in the house, it would not work with the Carryout. This receiver is a H20 and is in the den. I finaly took the H21 out of the living room and it worked great. Hooked the H20 back up to the Carryout and it did not work. Put the H20 back in the den and it works. We have taken the H21 on several short trips and it always works.
OldPugVA RVers use both I think is evenly split between Direct TV and Dish.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPugVA View Post
New to this thread and site. Is Direct TV the "standard" for MH/TT reception? Are there alternatives (eg Dish)?

Have seen other discussions on this site. Don't need tracking/motion - just want to watch Food TV network when we get there.
I'm not sure I would call it the standard but I do believe they have the biggest market share for RVs.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you done a RESET on the receiver? Press the RED reset button (Which is hiding behind the panel) or follow the menus to RESET

If you have trouble finding it the "-" (Dash) key is below the number 7 and may not be clearly labeled (or it may be) on mine the label is molded in but not a contrasting color so it's very hard to see.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #9

Direct and carryout

I'am using the same receiver each time. It works perfect in the house but when I put it back in the mh it says "no signal". As stated before, I used this all summer with no trouble. After it was installed back in the house for a few months then back to the mh, it has not worked since. I have talked with direct but not much help, just the usual ( does it have a clear view of the southern sky etc.?) In the past all I had to do with the carryout was to just sit it outside and it would find the correct setting and it was good to go. I have not tried the reset button but I will. I do know that the carryout is a certain "dish" size (don't remember just now what that is) but when I go into set up on the receiver and go to dish type, it has this setting as carryout, but it won't let you highlight it to select it. When I try to highlight , it skips over this setting. I believe the setting is 3 lnb. I never did this in the past but I don't believe the receiver is recognizing the dish.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #10

I have to manually change the receiver (Satellite Set-Up) each time I move my receiver from home to RV. My Satellite Settings are different from home to RV. I have to change from (SWM) to (Multi Switch) and I also have to change the dish type to (18" round). When I bring the receiver back home it changes all the settings back automatically because it gets the signal from the satellite. Direct TV may have changed your setting without your knowing it. If that's the case then you may have to change your Set-up each time like I have to do.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPugVA
Is anyone using Dish or do they not offer a RV option?
OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #12

I'm a service manager you have to call winegaurd direct with dish network and they offer a pay by the month plan, you can go to winegaurd website and it gives you all the information and phone numbers to set up service.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #13

As far as not getting a signal many things can attribute to no signal . First double check the cables , we one moves the reciever from the coach to the house and coach other cables can become loose. Check all cables . Then second issue remove the card from inside the reciever and then put in the card after you count to 30. After you reinsert the card it should come up with a recieving signal message . If it doesn't unplug power to reciever and let sit for about 20 minutes. Then turn the box back on that's a hard boot. If all those dont work last thing is calling direct tv and have them resend the signal to the box, sometimes we have found that it just simply needs reset. Your problem deffinately lies within the reciever and cables. Let me know
Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #14

We use Dish both at home and in our motorhome. The service is great. Like referenced by others if the receiver hasn't been used for awhile you need to activate via a phone call. We use the tailgater automatic portable, and it works like a charm. Easy setup and rapid signal acquisition. The tailgater works only with the VIP 211K reciever.

Tags
dish