Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 04:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
DISH So disappointed

In 2018 I splurged and bought a satellite system from Camping World. Got the Travler 1000 dish and 2 211 receivers. I signed up for a 2 year contract for Rvers 'pay as you go'. Was told that when I put the rv in storage for the winter I could pause the account and my contract would be extended by the amount of time in storage. My 2 year 'special' cost me $71.71 per month included local channels. When taking out of storage this year I was informed that when I placed my rig in storage, that voided my original contract. I had to pay more for the monthly service. Also when I attempted to talk with an online agent concerning this matter I was #243 in line. So, I called. After a 1/2 hour on hold I got to talk with an agent. She stated the same thing. Had my service activated and had to pay $95 per month. 2nd day of use we had no local channels on one receiver, but did on the other. I rebooted the one receiver to no avail. Back on the chat line. This time I was 145 inline. Called and was on hold for 20 minutes. When I finally got to speak with an agent he informed me they would work to get my problem resolved. I was also informed AGAIN that because I paused my service I voided my contract. Now, he states my monthly fee was going to be $130.00. Frustrated, I asked to cancel my service. He stated I would be charged for early termination on the card I had on file with them. I stated I would wait until the following day, cancel the debit card I paid my DISH bill with, then call back and cancel.

I received an Email that evening that my service had been terminated. Early the next morning I called my Credit Union and cancelled that card. I checked my bank account a few times and they didn't get to charge me that 'fee' before I cancelled my card.

I am not alone with continued problems with DISH. We were at the NASCAR races at Dover, DE this past week and 2 other campers near us also had issues.

I'm going to be removing the unit from our MH and selling the whole package.

NO MORE DISH for us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 05:08 AM   #2

I don't blame you for taking that action. My experience has been different. I bought a portable unit last year and started a pay as you go account. I kept it for 2 months while we were traveling on our motorhome. When we returned home I cancelled the service with no issues. I did not have a contract of any kind.

That was 2 years ago and we've had no need for it since.
However next year we will be traveling to the Canadian maritimes in our MH and will re-start the service.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:39 AM   #3

DISH So disappointed

Not same experience here.
When we first signed up, we had cable at the house and satellite on our rig. During camping season, we were paying for both cable and satellite for nearly $275.00 per month, then on non-camping months, the total bill was around $170.00 ($7 per month for suspended dish account included). That total cost included 1 premium channel( Stars+).

We closed our cable, moved the primary satellite account to the house and obtained a Hopper 3 receiver and two “joeys” for three TV in the house. Got rid of the old v211 (3 total) receivers in the motorhome and replaced those with “walleys”.

Our total satellite monthly bill is $170 and includes all channels (+HD) including all premiums and locals for any travel destinations and has never changed going on three years. I would bet knocking off the premiums would reduce cost, but we like all the movies.
Due to the way we configured satellite and dropping cable, our satellite stays “on” all year to avoid the suspension fee and we pay less.

Never had to wait calling Dish for service. They typically answer within 2-3 minutes assuming your calling the Dish To Go or Anywhere services.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 AM   #4

My experience with Dish has been very different as well. I switched our RV from DirectTV to Dish over a month ago and have found them excellent to work with. Little to no wait when I called to set up service and activate the Wally’s. No contract to deal with, just pay as you go each month and I use the app to switch locations when we travel so we get local stations and programming.

I just dumped DirectTV at home but that is another subject all together.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have had Dish at home and on the road. We just carry the hopper with us when we travel. Everything we have recorded comes with us, all our programming except for locals is exactly the same, over the air stations automatically show up in the program guide, when we have the antenna up all timer work as usual. We do all of this at no extra charge ever.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:13 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Was told that when I put the rv in storage for the winter I could pause the account and my contract would be extended by the amount of time in storage.
Oh, my! Sorry you had such a frustrating time!

I'm curious:
Was it Camping World who told you that or a DISH representative?
When you put it in storage did you put the service on a temporary hold or just stop it?
Old 10-09-2019, 06:14 AM   #7

Sooo Dish said YOU voided the original contract by placing the rig in storage, but then wants to charge you an early termination fee only when you wanted to kick them to the curb due to the increased "no contract" price? But if you kept paying the extortion price all was good?

Sounds like they want to talk out of both side of their mouth. I assume you called and suspended the service when the rig went in storage and had no push back at that time?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:15 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
That is very frustrating. I would do the same as you.

But I've had nothing but great service from Dish. When we are on the road, we daily call to change our zip to get locals. So far, it's never taken more than 5 minutes to accomplish.

I would like to say you just got connected with the wrong person, but it's obvious you've talked to more than one and over a period of time. Sad to hear. I hope Dish isn't going the route of Direct TV.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
We have had Dish at home and on the road. We just carry the hopper with us when we travel. Everything we have recorded comes with us, all our programming except for locals is exactly the same, over the air stations automatically show up in the program guide, when we have the antenna up all timer work as usual. We do all of this at no extra charge ever.

I heard that is a method as well....take the Hopper with you.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrantz View Post
Oh, my! Sorry you had such a frustrating time!

I'm curious:
Was it Camping World who told you that or a DISH representative?
When you put it in storage did you put the service on a temporary hold or just stop it?

Dish should have “temporarily suspended” the account for a nominal monthly fee under pay as you go. If you just stop it, that could be interpreted as canceling the account.
I would call Dish and talk to an account representative and explain the misunderstanding and see if they can put you back to what you originally agreed to. Dish has always been good with us and much better than ATT owned DirecTV ( which customers are vacating by flocks).

Check into using satellite at your house year round and have the same bill month to month and same usage whether home or away.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #11

I wonder if the OP just signed up for the wrong package.

A good example of why I always come here and ask. Probably there is as much or more knowledge here than at Dish CS.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:36 AM   #12

the OP said what happened in his opening sentence, he dealt with Camping World with a sales person who didn't know anything. I Love my Dish system and have never even talked to them. I got it from an Independent dealer who installed a system in my home and told me to take one of my receivers with me when we travel the RV. I use a Winegard X2 and the 211Z receiver from home and incur no extra fees or anything. it just works. Love My Dish System
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I recall now that over the years we have suspended our dish acct at a nominal $5 fee. Then resumed when we got back in country.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #14

Sumpthin' ain't right here. I've never had to wait very long on the line with Dish.
OP signed up for a plan they said he could pause and then when he did he got screwed.
That's not the way the Dish plan works.

Tags
dish