Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Dishes

We are new to RV'ing and was wondering what type of dishes and glasses you use, I was thinking of Corelle ware. Maybe a set for 4. I was also wondering about weight. What do you use?

ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #2

We like Corelle also and have a set onboard for occasional, special use. Normal, day-to-day we use paper or heavier plastic disposables to save on water.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #3

we use regular dishes but we cut squares of the non-skid shelf liner to go between each of them when we stack them. so far, nothing broken and they don't move around at all.

we just wanted something nicer than corelle (although that was MY first choice; i got overruled. )
Old 02-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We use Chinet paper plates, paper cups & plastic utensils most of the time. Just throw away, no need for clean up. We also have a set of Corelle & stainless steel silverware, for when we have steak or chicken - even the Chinet doesn't hold up well for that & plastic forks & knives break when trying to cut meat. We use insulated travel mugs for coffee/hot chocolate/tea & acrylic tumblers for iced tea/soda & for those extra special occasions, we have etched acrylic wine glasses.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
We have the corelle and love it. We use paper plates if we're dry camping, and sometimes for lunches. But prefer the corelle 'cause I don't like to feel like we're "roughing it". We use acrylic cups but I'm considering purchasing thick glassware (Crate and Barrel has some great styles) and using 'sleeves' made from old socks when we're underway to keep them from banging and breaking. Also, if you like to have friends over, you may need more than a set of 4. We also have a fullset of 'silverware'...I don't know how we do it, but even just the two of us use alot of it per day.

Welcome to RVing!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have had some nice acrylic plates and glasses from Mikasa, I think. They do scratch though. I just bought some Corelle because we will be snowbirding next year. I would like to find some sort of holder for glasses. There is something for someone to invent.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Years ago when I was a parttimer with a trailer, I had Corelle.

Now I'm a fulltimer and use the Pfaltzgraff and glasses from my house in my MH.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #8

Corelle for over 20 years. We don't care for paper plates even though I despise washing dishes. We use deli waxed paper sheets for sandwiches and "dry" meals..
Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Paper, plastic or go out

Seriously I think they are Corelle for no reason. DW did put the non-skid stuff in the cabinets though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
a k

Newmar Owners Club
My wife uses anything that will rattle.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I like Corelle, and have it in my stick house, but wanted to keep the weight down (for towing) so one of the things was to get the plastic plates, bowls, cups at WM. They are very inexpensive and if they get cut/stained- throw away. I can have a full set of them and they are a fraction of the weight and I don't have to worry about careful placement for traveling.

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnvt View Post
I would like to find some sort of holder for glasses. There is something for someone to invent.
RVUpgrades has these foam holders for glasses. Don't know how well they work though. I'd still think they might touch at the rims (rolling down the road) & possibly chip or break if you had glass glasses. For a while, I did have ceramic coffee mugs that I covered with cut off tube socks & kept them in a shoebox that fit my cabinet. But coffee mugs didn't fit in those netted holes in the arms of our camp chairs, so that's when I went with the travel mugs (actually more like travel tumblers, looks like below).

One more thing, to cushion the Corelle, I just put the paper plates between them. Does a good job of keeping them from rattling.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We use Corelle
Old 02-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #14

We are full-timers and we have the same Blue Danube china that we had in our house in our RV. We also have the same silverware, glasses (Martini...in the freezer, rocks, hi-ball) and our cloth napkins. We try to keep a service for 8 on board but an occasional drop (same as happened at home) brings us down to 6 but that's OK since we have never served dinner for more than 4. If the party is bigger than that there is going to be some BYO food and plates going on (like Thanksgiving for 10...What fun!).
We do have some plastic glasses on board when we head for the pool but otherwise we prefer to feel like we are at home when we are at home.
Janet put a layer of silicone caulk on the bottom of all of our dishes (dinner, salad, bowl) and they stack without touching and without noise and the addition is completely unnoticeable when in use other than the dishes can't slide around. We keep some dish towels between the pots and pans but otherwise we don't have to take special care of anything.