Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
When I go on a long RV trip I turn the power off on my TVs and Dishnetwork receivers with a powerstrip. What I did not know the receivers call in at night for programing. Because I have turned the receivers off I am gettings a $5.00 a month extra charge for each receiver, for a total of $10.00. I have a call into the Attorney General's office to see if this is legal. Let you know when I find out.
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
When I go on a long RV trip I turn the power off on my TVs and Dishnetwork receivers with a powerstrip. What I did not know the receivers call in at night for programing. Because I have turned the receivers off I am gettings a $5.00 a month extra charge for each receiver, for a total of $10.00. I have a call into the Attorney General's office to see if this is legal. Let you know when I find out.
Tom

Old 06-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #3

Yes it is leagl If you look in the agreement you signed when you first subscribed it will tell you just that ....Now What most customer service reps won't tell you is that you can call in and have your receivers made inactive for a period of time when you won't be using it Now this cant just be for a few days or while you are on vacation but needs to be for a few months That way there should not be another start up fee ,Now the deal with the phone line I being a former Dish customer did not have a phone line hooked up to any of my receivers We had an HD DVR and a VIP 222 hd receiver They say the phone line is for receiver updates but it is mostly for ppv event billing and if you order any movies from them We never watched eather but if we wanted to you could alwasys call the dish cust servise # of corse there would be a small fee for that Just remember they are in the buisness to make money and they will charge you for what ever they can to help them do that Dish and Direct both have a great servise and offer them at a fair price I subscribed to Dish for almost 10 years so have had many dealings with them over the year mostly very positive only a couple negitive Let me know if you have anyother ?

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The next time I take a long rv trip. I will tell them I don't need their service. When I get back home a call to cable TV and a few mins. hooking the set back up. So how much in the future they going to make off of me ?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Tom, I believe you are getting hosed on that issue. We have Dish at home and Direct in the MH. Dish said we have to have the receivers in the house hooked up ot the phone line. Lightning knocked out a portion of the receiver in the bedroom and it will not communicate via the phone line. Everything else still works on it however. Told the Dish folks and they said it was only necessary if we ordered movies and PPV. We don't. If we do, we call the 800 number and order them.
With Direct you can call and suspend service if you are not going to use it for a while. When the current Dish contract time is up, I suspect we will go to Direct for the house and MH. Direct is so much easier to set up and use.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Doc, I went through three people this morning before I found out what is happening. My bill went up $20.00. I was charged $5.00 for the extra receiverand $5.00 for programming it. $10.00 for the two receivers at the house with no power that could not call in to get programing.
Tom
Old 06-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Why do you have a phone line connected? I would disconnect the phone line and never connect it again. Problem solved.

If you have to, tell Dish that you do not have a wired phone. You use cellphones.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Tom N. I don't mind the phone being connected to the phone line. I just don't feel it is right that I be charged extra for the receivers to be programed. My contract has long been expired so I can go where I want to for service. I may sell the receivers on Ebay to get my few dollars back. lol
Tom
Old 06-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hey Tom,

DishNet zinged me $5 per month on my DVR receiver that I carried with me in the trailer to Florida this winter. When I called to fuss they said it's only charged when the phone line isn't connected.

Hooked it back up in the house with the phone line when we returned in March and the $5 charge stopped.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have 3 and none have ever been hooked up to a phone line. I am charged $5 each per month for the 2 extra receivers.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a dish receiver that was never hooked up to a phone and never had a charge. With the new receiver, we had to have phone connection added just for the stupid receiver to avoid the $5.00/month charge. We never watch PPV and never intend to, so it is just a money making scheme from the 800# gorilla.

I'd love to tell Dish to take a hike, just a few more months and we are off contract... and it is adios

Ken
Old 06-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Are they the newer ones with DVR that Dish requires a phone connection on? I have an old non-DVR receiver in the basement (about 6 years old) that I've used in the trailer without incurring the programming fee.

But, if I leave it off for several months it gets screwed up due to lack of a downloaded program, then I have to call and have a tech straighten it out.... but there's no fee.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
yes Richard, They are the newer 322 receivers. The one in the RV is a older type with no phone connection. I was talking with my next door neighbor and he claims they only charge him for the receiver not the programing as he has no phone on his. I think the best thing for me to do is use it until I go out for a month or more. Drop the service when I leave and get from Direct TV or cable when I get back.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:33 AM   #14

We had dish network for only one year, PITA! I am now seriously learning about free-to-air television. When I feel I know enough to jump in, I will. A 30" dish and tripod will store safely in my 5er basement, and appears to be quite easy to return to a permanent setup at our house.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote