Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #1

Disillusioned

I must say I'm becoming disillusioned with some of my fellow campers. I've been following and posting in several threads lately and the things I'm hearing don't seem as though they can be from the same folks I run into on the road. There is much rancor and ill will being shown to fellow members who are merely expressing their views. It makes me rethink whether some folks real selves only come out in the semianonymous world of the internet. Anyone else notice this. ( guess I'll put on the flame proof suit now)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First....

I think it is important that people understand that on-line communications like these forums lacks true interaction. You don't see the face, hear the tone, react, re-react... Communication's models break down quickly in this environment.

That being said, when you have several hundred to a few thousand contributors, you are going to get the whole gamut of perspectives and personalities. Liberals to Conservatives. Technically smart to KNOBs. Families, singles, old, young, pet owners, solo and all manner major and minor differences. Heck, you even see differences in gas/DP, Class a/b/c, pop ups...

I have been a moderator on several web sites ranging from Union to weight loss surgery to government employee investment (TSP) subjects. I've learned the value of selectively ignoring users, threads, and such.

Remember, there are basically 3 things you can do with what you read here:

1. Use.
2. Store away for future use.
3. Ignore.

Just concentrate on what you find value in and let the rest go. There are a lot more good post (BY FAR!) than bad.

Last thought...

Sometimes the veteran posters get a little tired (cranky) of answering the same questions over and over. How many times have you seen the subject of tire pressure return? New users haven't figured out the use of the search capability to get them started and naturally just start "new" threads. I wonder if that sometimes adds to some of the more tense/terse postings?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to brandypup
It's the same on any board IMHO.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #4

I find that written communication lacks the tonal inflection, the facial expression and the body language associated with face to face communication for the receiver. The sender of the message also gets instant feedback in face to face meetings and can clarify statements if they sense that the receiver has not understood exactly what the sender wanted. Often the words can be exactly the same but received and interpreted totally differently when written online. What does your insurance company say about you running into people on the road? (just one example of how one could interpret your post)

You say: " There is much rancor and ill will being shown to fellow members who are merely expressing their views." Again, I think these are problems with reducing thoughts to written words which can be studied and parsed. Are the people saying "I think that ......." Or are they saying authoritatively, "most RV's are ......".

If I said "Winnebagos are a low quality entry level motorhome", that sounds like a challenge to some and a statement of opinion to others. And there is even some truth to the statement because W does make some lower quality entry level motorhomes when compared to a top of the line Marathon Prevost, but it's also true that W makes some upper quality MH's also. Depending on the readers individual feelings about W brand MH's, a great arguement could ensue. Ford and Chevy enthusiasts have been doing this for years.

If you find a solution to this be sure to trademark it before you go public with it, you'll make a fortune!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think there are some people that think it's safer to take out their frustrations (bad day etc) on a poster from behind a keyboard vs. face to face where consequences are instantly accountable. This is not always the case, but I have seen it here and in many other forums.

In today's society there are many pressures in day to day living. Some people handle it better then others. Some look for a place to vent (like from behind a keyboard) others are more adept to handle life as it comes.

Don't let angry posters affect how you see and deal with real live people. Getting into an argument on a thread with a poster will be a useless waste of time and energy. It's best to just ignore some posts rather then confront IMO.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thing you don't know or see about a poster is how many adult beverages they have imbibed. A little too much lubricant can bring out a mean streak and/or careless comments in some folks who are otherwise quite pleasant people.
Then again, for some it just comes naturally.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Another thing you don't know or see about a poster is how many adult beverages they have imbibed. A little too much lubricant can bring out a mean streak and/or careless comments in some folks who are otherwise quite pleasant people.
Then again, for some it just comes naturally.
+1

Guilty as charged. i have personally posted things here that I looked at later and thought: "...why did I post that?". Unfortunately, iRV2 only gives you ONE HOUR to reconsider, and that's not enough time for the adult beverage(s) to wear off.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
I hear ya! Although sometimes frustrating, I can handle the 'tougher' discussions. The only times I get frazzled with posters is when it becomes personal, or gets really judgmental as in trying to shame or dishonor someone... If a thread interests me, I truly enjoy a healthy discussion, and I often learn a lot. I just try to stay honest. But, in the end, the above posters have it right: if it offends you, just ignore or unsubscribe, that's what I do. Happy trails to you all.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #9

Maybe I didn't take make myself clear, I'm a big boy I can handle all that's thrown my way. Just am surprised at the anger some display towards others. None of the discussions will change world affairs, but some folks feel the need to lash out at other members in very personal ways. This is contrary to what I've found in my travels and interactions with folks that are fellow travelers. Just an observation.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
Maybe I didn't take make myself clear, I'm a big boy I can handle all that's thrown my way. Just am surprised at the anger some display towards others. None of the discussions will change world affairs, but some folks feel the need to lash out at other members in very personal ways. This is contrary to what I've found in my travels and interactions with folks that are fellow travelers. Just an observation.
I think this may be why...most folks are more conscious of your impression/opinion of them when they are looking you in the eyeball. I also think it is easier to walk away from someone you don't like or who just rubs you wrong and move on. It's over and done without anyone else having the opportunity to pile on.

Threads on line are just waiting to be pulled...ya know what I mean Vern?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
well... that seems to be why some topics are off limits... too much emotion behind certain things. There are times when I get surprised by folks I've known quite awhile, in real life, if certain topics come up... and I am a pretty good people reader as that is what I do for a job...LOL! You can never be sure what lurks beneath...and sadly for most of us... it ain't pretty.
I'm not saying folks are bad... they just let anger heat their emotions to the point they cannot carry on a civilized conversation with someone of an opposite opinion. One of the things I love about my spouse... he is one of the rare ones who can.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The people on this forum seem to be alot more tolerant then I have seen on other forums. Sometimes it turns heated but that will happen on any forum. I think people here are more prone to try and help rather than berate. That's just my opinion.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
well... that seems to be why some topics are off limits... too much emotion behind certain things. There are times when I get surprised by folks I've known quite awhile, in real life, if certain topics come up... and I am a pretty good people reader as that is what I do for a job...LOL! You can never be sure what lurks beneath...and sadly for most of us... it ain't pretty.
I'm not saying folks are bad... they just let anger heat their emotions to the point they cannot carry on a civilized conversation with someone of an opposite opinion. One of the things I love about my spouse... he is one of the rare ones who can.
Personally I just enjoy the debate, I've been known to argue a point that I don't agree with just for fun, but totally without rancor. I guess it's some folks need to feel important
Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
but online... can they tell you are arguing without rancor, just for the fun of it? That is sometimes the trouble.

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote