Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Distracted Driving

Finally some States are starting to pass Distracted Driving Laws.

I am sure this will have many pros and cons re this issue.
I am very used to the law as I come from BC, Canada.
I stay in an RV park in Kamloops, BC during the summer months
and we have had many Americans passing through on their way
to Alaska.
Unfortunately, quite a few of them have been hit with the D/D law
while on their cellphones. This is a high cost fine.

I have talked to some of them and they feel that because the law
did not exist in their State, they should not be charged while in BC.

I winter in the States and am very surprised at the number of drivers
I see on their phones.
I also see some Canadians using their phones because it is legal.

Please leave your anger at home while responding. Thank you
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #2

A friend is retired LEO. Frequent tells us that he really wished that there were some way he could have written citations for just being a jerk. It all comes under the same heading.....

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I am in favour of the distracted driving laws. One of my neighbours lost his 18 year old son just days before grad. Young and inexperienced, he was doing something and not watching. He drove head on into a truck coming the other way. (the truck driver tried to miss him, but could not) There are so many other examples of crashes caused by not only phones, but other distractions, we need some more enforcement. People just don't seem to have enough common sense any more, so someone has to hold their hand!
The fine is $368.00, and applies to ANYONE driving in BC.
LEAVE THE PHONE ALONE!!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

I wish the cell-phone manufacturers would add a routine, in the GPS feature that searches for receivers, that would shut the phone off if its ground speed was more than 10 mph. For people riding a plane, bus or train, it would need an override, but it could be deliberately made difficult to use.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I don't wish that....

And I thought politics was a taboo subject? this will turn there quickly I'm afraid
but I do know that two or more teenagers in a car is more of a distraction than a cell phone

Heck,
a fine looking woman shouldn't be able to walk down the sidewalk...
billboards should not be allowed...
at what point do you stop then ?

Just like with ANYTHING, some CAN and some CAN'T....
(do more than one thing at a time)

But we can't legislate differences except when it comes to bathrooms

but seriously folk - if it's not cell phones, it will be the radio dial or the air conditioner controls or the just AIR head failure or the joint in Colorado or Kalifornia...
Old 03-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Am I getting old or what? Seems to me a lot of the new cars have WAY too many doodads to fiddle with on the dash and steering wheel! The touch controls for everything from heat to radios has to be distracting. I have recently rented cars in the US, Canada and Portugal. Every one had totally different controls. The rental companies just turn you loose with no instructions and everyone seems to be in a big hurry to get on the road. Got to love "progress"!!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #7

I have an at&t and it does have that feature. Sends caller directly to voice mail. Then sends an automatic text stating that I'm driving. Automatically turns on at 15 miles per hour and off when I stop. I love this app. Try it. It has many features.. . Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #8

I initially think that 'distracted driving' laws are ridiculous because the ENFORCEMENT is the problem. If folks think that it's not very likely they'll be caught, then it is probably not going to change anything.... but,

I'll admit that having some laws such as this, especially if well advertised to the public and especially to young drivers without much experience yet, can at least make us THINK about the possibilities and ramifications.

We all probably believe that we can easily multi-task, but we all have brains that function the same - the focus is only on a single activity at one time. While we 'switch' activities quickly in our mind, and believe that this is multi-tasking, we actually are fooling ourselves. If you're all like me, you've looked up from your google maps, or text, or email, or social media, and suddenly asked yourself if you can remember the last mile you just drove!

Yes, many distractions are now at play, not only on our devices, but within our vehicles - easily stealing our focus from the more important activity at hand. Most of us with many years of driving experience just tell ourselves that we can handle it... : /
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #9

One problem is distracted driving can be caused by passengers also. Add in phones now are somethings being used for routing instructions and things get confusing.

Problem is the person being distracted not an item like a phone. Heck if could just be someone is upset and not thinking clearly.

Granted some things should never be allowed but it takes education and convincing of the driver to really make things effective. All too often people think well I can get by this once..

Tom
Old 03-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=MisterT;3493440]I initially think that 'distracted driving' laws are ridiculous because the ENFORCEMENT is the problem. If folks think that it's not very likely they'll be caught, then it is probably not going to change anything.... but,

The RCMP have a camera/scope that can take a pic 1.2 km (3/4 mile) away to show that you were using a phone or GPS and ticket you. Talk about the "long arm of the law"!! Nice little money maker!

New tool means police can catch distracted drivers from over 1km away - NEWS 1130
Old 03-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #11

This is a problem that will soon solve itself, as driverless cars are coming, and sooner than you think.

Then communities will have to find a new source of revenue.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #12

People are dying left and right from drivers on the phone. It's not the talking but the texting. When someone texts there eyes are not on the road,the wander all over the lanes and fail to stop at stop signs. From a long term motorcycle rider Texting is one of the worst things a driver can do. It's too bad but we do net strict law enforcement to protect people and others from this. And like some have mentioned there's too much distractions in the new cars. Most is just junk,expensive junk. I'm so at ease driving my 77 Dodge class B without all the stuff on the dash. It even has the high low headlight switch on the floor. Love it.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I agree that it is the texting that is the worst. With blue tooth and new cars set up to be hands free it take some of the danger out of using the cell phone.
I spent a lot of years on the road trucking and could multi task a lot of different things while driving with out issue. Sometimes I would have 2 different 2 way radios on radio controlled roads and never had a problem. I never did master the cell phone while driving and actually had a near accident. If my phone rings while I am driving it stays ringing.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
My problem has always been phones in cars.
Imagine driving in rush hour traffic in a major city.
The phone rings,...you have hands free, so you answer it.
Your brother, sister, aunt, is screaming at you.......
"Your mom just hit by a car and she is on the way to the hospital".

Just think how safe that person is behind the wheel of a car, truck,
semi, MH. Just think how safe you are.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote