Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's different if we are talking everyday products which are no longer made in the US. If we are talking a item from say a battle field and it is made in another country that is the item that I will not buy. My choice.

When we went to Edinburgh, we could not find items made in Edinburgh. That is what I will not buy.

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #16

First, most souvenir stuff is something we already have an ample supply of so we are not interested. If we do find something interesting it is because it is made by a local artist that we might even be buying from.

Second, those of us who understand applied macro economics also understand a lot of people will offshore if it saves a nickle over the cost of a local producer. Sometimes we are talking real money, mostly we are not when it comes to decisions to offshore by the time the cost to the door is figured.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #17

I am torn between buying domestic stuff vs. imported stuff. It's a mixed bag when it comes to who's the blame for exporting our jobs and manufacturing.

Many repetitive jobs that require no skill except knowing the four repeating steps to perform your part of the task of manufacturing your company's widget. Then the widget maker finds unskilled labor across the sea that will reduce overhead by 30% +, the widget makes moves the building site to Bangladesh.

To make matters worst, everyone demands a $15 - $20 dollar shirt for uncle Harold for Christmas but they don't realize the aspects of manufacturing that is required to make costs low enough to produce a shirt with a selling price of $15 - $20. Uh . . . . foreign labor.

The signs are still up at the union hall's parking lot restricting the use of the lot to "American made" cars and trucks. MANY, I say MANY, cars and trucks have names that sound 100% American but sadly aren't.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
I am torn between buying domestic stuff vs. imported stuff. It's a mixed bag when it comes to who's the blame for exporting our jobs and manufacturing.

Many repetitive jobs that require no skill except knowing the four repeating steps to perform your part of the task of manufacturing your company's widget. Then the widget maker finds unskilled labor across the sea that will reduce overhead by 30% +, the widget makes moves the building site to Bangladesh.

To make matters worst, everyone demands a $15 - $20 dollar shirt for uncle Harold for Christmas but they don't realize the aspects of manufacturing that is required to make costs low enough to produce a shirt with a selling price of $15 - $20. Uh . . . . foreign labor.

The signs are still up at the union hall's parking lot restricting the use of the lot to "American made" cars and trucks. MANY, I say MANY, cars and trucks have names that sound 100% American but sadly aren't.
A dieing breed is just trying to hang on..........Unions are like dinosaurs.......soon to be extinct.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...Lzlqw.rlMhIrM-

11% OF OUR NATION AND DROPPING FAST.............
Old 12-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #19

I prefer to buy locally when I can. That is not carved in stone, but if I have the opportunity to see two items, one made in the USA and one not, I am more likely to buy US, even if a couple more pennies or dollars.

To me, what is the significance of owning an item that says "I went to 'xyz' if it was made by some low wage person in another country that has no idea what 'xyz' even is? I am pretty sure that the "I love NYC" trinkets are right next to the "I love Paris" and " I love Bagdad" trinkets on the assembly line in that Chinese factory. The people making them have no emotional investment, so I have trouble with it as well.

If I go to the southwest, and see some native american artist making something, I am likely to consider it. That may have some emotional investment for me.

I had a great conversation with my wife's aunt, many decades ago, when the aunt was still alive and I was not yet married, and we spoke of the little old ladies in Cape Cod (Massachusetts) who spent all summer selling antiques to tourists, and spent all winter making antiques for the following summer. The picture of little old ladies hitting rickety old tables with chains is a humorous image in my head that I will always associate with that cool aunt.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #20
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
I believe the "Made in U.S.A." Labels may have a label on them saying "made in China"
Old 12-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
It's different if we are talking everyday products which are no longer made in the US. If we are talking a item from say a battle field and it is made in another country that is the item that I will not buy. My choice.

When we went to Edinburgh, we could not find items made in Edinburgh. That is what I will not buy.
Exactly! I have no problem using my Toshiba (Japan) laptops. But what does China have to do with, say, Zion National Park?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
Exactly! I have no problem using my Toshiba (Japan) laptops. But what does China have to do with, say, Zion National Park?
If you dig deep enough, you might just find that they "Own" it
Old 12-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
If you dig deep enough, you might just find that they "Own" it
I had a feeling someone was going to say that!

You fell right into it!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Old 12-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
I had a feeling someone was going to say that!

You fell right into it!
Good reply/save to your question............
Old 12-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
So you get a company like Disney who is multinational. Where do they get their trinkets made? They probably have a movie lot or some other attraction in most large countries.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
So you get a company like Disney who is multinational. Where do they get their trinkets made? They probably have a movie lot or some other attraction in most large countries.
Interesting point. We were at Tokyo DisneySea in October. We didn't think to look at where their "trinkets" were made.

Soon, we'll see "Made In Cuba" tags.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:38 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
First, most souvenir stuff is something we already have an ample supply of so we are not interested. If we do find something interesting it is because it is made by a local artist that we might even be buying from.

Second, those of us who understand applied macro economics also understand a lot of people will offshore if it saves a nickle over the cost of a local producer. Sometimes we are talking real money, mostly we are not when it comes to decisions to offshore by the time the cost to the door is figured.
Your second point could not be more wrong, and simply reinforces incorrect stereotypes. The decision to move ongoing production offshore is painful, and involves a tremendous amount of planning and coordination. Moving something like auto parts manufacturing is devastating to a local economy, and incredibly expensive to shutdown, pack, move, find new property, build new facility, train new workforce, build logistics chains in and out. And all the while, the customer of the moved production expects shipments to arrive on time. Absolutely monstrous task that never goes as planned. And it better save a boat load of money pretty quick or the board is gonna fire EVERYBODY. Several famous failures have cost many billions of dollars.

[Moderator Edit]
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
If you can't eat it or wear it you probably have to dust it!
Best statement I've seen in some time.