Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2015, 07:58 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do You Avoid Buying Souvenirs Made In China or Elsewhere?

During the past several years, while wandering around in national park gift shops and other places, I've noticed quite a number of souvenirs made in China or in other foreign countries.

I make it a point that whenever I buy something for myself or othere, I make sure that they are 1.) made in the USA and/or, 2.) made locally.

Are you the same way?
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
USA

Yes I am the same. Good to hear I'm not alone. I try to buy everything made in the USA. It has given me a good education as to how much is made outside our country. Sad.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get ready to do without, if you exclude purchasing products made in China in your quest for souvenirs. Lots of things no longer made in USA .........
unfortunately
Old 12-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We lost this Battle years ago.......when Uncle Sam threw the towel in
Old 12-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The world has transitioned to an international economy. That's a good thing. Governments are far less likely to feel the need to attack a country that they do business with. One of the things I like to do when my wife goes shopping is check the labels on the clothes hanging on the rack. Many are from China, and many are from Vietnam and other countries. Quite an education. When we look for something "special" as a souvenir, we will find a local artist or local company as a source.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
We don't buy any of that stuff, we are fully loaded.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
The world has transitioned to an international economy. That's a good thing. Governments are far less likely to feel the need to attack a country that they do business with. One of the things I like to do when my wife goes shopping is check the labels on the clothes hanging on the rack. Many are from China, and many are from Vietnam and other countries. Quite an education. When we look for something "special" as a souvenir, we will find a local artist or local company as a source.
That's what I do. I would rather buy a kachina or dreamcatcher made by a local Native American artist than ones imported from overseas.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #8

Be careful of "Assembled in USA" stickers. Build a pickup truck overseas, import to the US with the pickup bed off, bolt bed on to frame with 4 bolts, plug in wiring harness, and Voila! They used to be able to legally call it "Made in USA". Now laws specify that a certain amount of actual work or parts have to be made/put on in the US in order to call it "Made in USA". Now they call it "Assembled in USA". Still foreign made, but most people only look for the "USA" in the label, if they look at all!

Foreign made isn't necessarily bad, just that I like to know where my stuff comes from, and who I am supporting. My wife and I are Metal Sculptors, (see our avatar) and we've had pieces ripped off, purchased, sent overseas, and now offered for sale at a fraction of the price we are able to sell for. Heck, I can't even buy the metal in this country for what some of the rip-off artists are selling metal "art" for!

Okay, enough whining, hope everyone enjoys the holidays and has many safe miles of travel in the New Year!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #9

We typically don't purchase souvenirs. If you can't eat it or wear it you probably have to dust it!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I try very hard NOT to buy made in China, Vietnam, Iran, or any foreign made item so often just don't buy at all.

Went to England 15 yrs ago and tried to buy local items but couldn't find until we went off the main path. The store owner's have learned to cut off the part of the tag that says Made in China because they loose sales.

We'll just go without unless we can find something made local.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It's very simple; if you pay someone with no real skills or talents, more than a fair market can afford, that workload is going to look for a better market to produce those goods or they will quit producing those goods. If the US quit buying from the cheaper markets, you'd park your rv, because you wouldn't be able to afford it, because your's paying hundreds for a pair of sneakers you used to get for $30. Macro ecomomics are simple, but some people still can't get it.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #12

Always find it funny that we avoid china-made items and talk about it on our china-made smart phones, tablets and computers. (Includes Taiwan, Bangladesh, Indonesia and others) lol
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
Always find it funny that we avoid china-made items and talk about it on our china-made smart phones, tablets and computers. (Includes Taiwan, Bangladesh, Indonesia and others) lol
Good one
Old 12-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #14

Best to look for something that is local made.

There may be a hunt involved but that adds to the fun and memory.

We collected Olympic pins for la84 when we were there and on those you check for the markings on the back.

Our favorite is one we picked up on the queen Mary it is the eagle holding a banner with the "I love" and banner varies and we have a couple but the city was Las Vegas or something else odd and it had the correct marks.

Check out local shops for unique local stuff to remember the trip.