Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #1

Do you correct people abusing their pets

A man two doors down from me came out of his trailer and i guess his dog had wrapped itself around the steps. I saw him jerk the dog leash hard, so hard i thought maybe he could have hurt the dog. It was much more than a corrective jerk they teach people in dog school. The dog actualy moved in the air a bit when he did so.

Do you say something? And if so how do you say it to avoid confrontation?
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
A man two doors down from me came out of his trailer and i guess his dog had wrapped itself around the steps. I saw him jerk the dog leash hard, so hard i thought maybe he could have hurt the dog. It was much more than a corrective jerk they teach people in dog school. The dog actualy moved in the air a bit when he did so.

Do you say something? And if so how do you say it to avoid confrontation?
Dont get me started.
I'm not typically a 'pet person' but from what I can see, most 'pet people' shouldn't be pet owners in the first place.

Pet ownership is a big responsibility, far beyond the selfish reasons most people get pets for in the first place.

But alas I shouldn't complain because I see plenty of parents that shouldn't be 'kid handlers' either.

Rant Over!

And as for your question...
If the guy treats his own dog poorly you can be assured he's going to treat "you" poorly. The best you can do is say a prayer for the pooch and keep your distance.

Thanks for posting.
And sorry about the rant but... I hate bully's, especially when they bully their pooch!
-Ej-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #3

YEP......
I speak up.
Don't care if they think it is confrontational or not.
They have already PROVEN they are *jerks*----so I treat them just like ones.

At 6'2" 285# I can be very intimidating especially when I am speaking in my 'soft no nonsense voice' .
But that works for me.

Others may have their own approach
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
YEP......
I speak up.
Don't care if they think it is confrontational or not.
They have already PROVEN they are *jerks*----so I treat them just like ones.

At 6'2" 285# I can be very intimidating especially when I am speaking in my 'soft no nonsense voice' .
But that works for me.

Others may have their own approach
DITTO except I am 6' 3" 253 svelte lbs
cant stand folks treating animals badly...pup probably wouldn't be tangled up...if said owner walked the pup on the leash and not left it out side unattended on a tether.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #5

Im 6'3 and 287 - lost 10 lbs in the last month

Im not worried if they like me or not. The reason i ask is that i really dont want something so basic to turn into something that the guy is suddenly attacking me and i cant walk away or get away and i am forced to have to pull my concealed weapon and defend myself over something that should be common sense.

I was just thinking about a way to get the point accross without making him feel that he has to be defensive. Maybe i should have taken a quick walk down the trial and just passively pretend i didnt see that and introduce myself and say oh what a nice dog and then somehow bring up the subject in general.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Play good cop bad cop......say you are just being neighborly and giving a warning that if wife sees him doing that ....she just might kill him! That way you are just the messenger, and acting as if you are helping him. The message will get across ....and you probably will see him looking over his shoulder the remainder of his time there - LOL
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't , because I don't like confrontations, but I know people who do, and it generally escalates. Folks don't think you have a right to tell them how to treat the animals nor people in their lives... they are their "possessions" in their mind.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

Turn his butt in to the manager......a lot of things one can let slide by, but that ain't one of 'em!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #9

These days there seem to be a lot of "opportunities" to get personally involved in things we don't think are not right. However, getting personally involved is not always without consequences. If you feel strongly about a situation, then get someone in a position of authority involved.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
I would certainty address it directly to the offender on the spot, as a pet (dog owner) myself as She always travels with me - there are no excuses for violating a pet - Ever !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I would certainty address it directly to the offender on the spot, as a pet (dog owner) myself as She always travels with me - there are no excuses for violating a pet - Ever !
How would you do so? I mean im two trailers down, would just yell hey now thats not called for!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You might try the approach that most parks don't allow unattended pets tied up outside alone - so talk to the park...

All 'pets' require corrections during their training, some more than others.

Our previous 135 lb white lab could tear you UP if she wanted to, but she wanted to please so much it was SO pitiful if she even thought you were raising your voice to her...

Our new ALL BOY 70 lbs of muscle is different, he's almost as hard headed as me so I have to really make sure he knows who's alpha so he WON'T go too far.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Turn his butt in to the manager......a lot of things one can let slide by, but that ain't one of 'em!
Do you really think it is the managers problem?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I sure wish people would be as willing to get involved if it were a spouse or child in question.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote