Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #127
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I drive 60 on 4-lane and interstate, and 55 or less, depending on road conditions, on 2-lane roads. I'm comfortable and feel in control at those speeds. JMHO

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #128

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After reading most of these posts one thing that stands out is that most responders don't drive the speed limit which in the east is predominetly 65. They drive at 63,61,55,45 but not 65. Is there really a danger in driving the posted speed limit. Will 63 be safer than 65 ? I also am aware of the expertise level or lack of expertise which I have observed in all the miles I have driven. Does anyone understand that the slower they drive under the posted limit, the more they put themselves in harms way ?
I am pretty sure most of the below 65mph crowd will take exception to my observation which is fine.
I was just something that aroused my curiocity.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #129

Vintage RV Owners Club
Let's keep in mind that it is a speed LIMIT, or maximum..
In most states speed limits are trumped by the requirement that speed be adjusted for actual conditions, and those conditions can include the size/type of vehicle being driven.
"Driving too fast for conditions" is a common ticket and a defense of "I was driving the posted limit" won't get you off the hook for it.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #130

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Let's keep in mind that it is a speed LIMIT, or maximum..
In most states speed limits are trumped by the requirement that speed be adjusted for actual conditions, and those conditions can include the size/type of vehicle being driven.
"Driving too fast for conditions" is a common ticket and a defense of "I was driving the posted limit" won't get you off the hook for it.
Now were nit picking. If the speed limit excluded certain type of vehicles it would be posted. In California for example all truck and trailers and all vehicles towing trailers have a POSTED SPEED LIMIT OF 55MPH. If there is fog, blowing dust,snow, of course you have to slow down because of conditions. If you are exceeding a speed that the officer deems an unsafe speed, you are correct, you will get a ticket for excessive speed. Just because a person is uncomfortable driving a certain speed does not qualify as a condition. For people that do not feel qualified to drive on an Interstate they have the option of driving on secondary roads where they would feel a lot less threatened by the higher speeds of the Interstates.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #131

Winnebago Owners Club
Chuck, I am with the same mind set as you. I posted back near the beginning of this post that I drive the speed limit up to 70mph. But at 70 I may be a little lower due to lack of power to maintain that speed. I have checked MPG's driving 60 & 70, no significant difference. Maybe 1 tenth better but that could be contributed to terrain or winds. I was not personnally attacked for being one of the few on this subject to actually admit I do the speed limit or maybe even a few mph above, but the comments that followed were directed at anyone like me. Best to just accept that on this forum we are not the norm.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #132

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Chuck, I am with the same mind set as you. I posted back near the beginning of this post that I drive the speed limit up to 70mph. But at 70 I may be a little lower due to lack of power to maintain that speed. I have checked MPG's driving 60 & 70, no significant difference. Maybe 1 tenth better but that could be contributed to terrain or winds. I was not personnally attacked for being one of the few on this subject to actually admit I do the speed limit or maybe even a few mph above, but the comments that followed were directed at anyone like me. Best to just accept that on this forum we are not the norm.
And I plan onn keeping it that way Dan !
Good for us
Old 07-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #133

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike
As I stated before, I drive the speed limit up to 65. Over that it's just a little uncomfortable. Not an issue since in the northeast where I do most of my traveling, 65 is the max limit. My rig also seems to get BETTER mpg at 65 rather than at 55 since it stays in 6th gear more consistently.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #134

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I usually drive our motorhome on the interstates and multi-lane highways at 60/62 MPH. The engine sounds and performs well in this speed range, it seems to be a pretty good speed for our coach mileage wise also. Probably as important as anything else, I as the driver feel very comfortable at this speed. I have no qualms for those who drive faster or slower than me. I try to drive with courtesy and safety in mind, and would like to receive the same consideration from other drivers who share the road with me , but as we all know this doesn't always happen in todays "me first world".

Dieselclacker
Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #135

Recently drove I-15 through Utah (going North)and there are several "Test Sections" on the freeway that the posted speed limit is 80mph. Sections seem to be about 20 miles long and I have no idea what they are testing.
Most western states the limit on freeways is 70 or 75mph.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
As I stated before, I drive the speed limit up to 65. Over that it's just a little uncomfortable. Not an issue since in the northeast where I do most of my traveling, 65 is the max limit. My rig also seems to get BETTER mpg at 65 rather than at 55 since it stays in 6th gear more consistently.
I was on some roads in Westchester County, NY that anything over walking speed was dangerous. Besides being narrow they have been repaved so many times since we ran the British off, that the manhole covers and storm drains are about 6 inches below the road level. It was like a ride at Playland. All the drivers seem to do is blow their horns (not at me)and hang on for dear life. For being one of the richest counties in the USA they have the poorest roads. Then it was on to Point Pleasent Beach,N.J. and all was well. It was October so no summer crowds. Beautiful. Couldn't find Snookie though !
Old 07-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #137

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I usually drive our motorhome on the interstates and multi-lane highways at 60/62 MPH. The engine sounds and performs well in this speed range, it seems to be a pretty good speed for our coach mileage wise also. Probably as important as anything else, I as the driver feel very comfortable at this speed. I have no qualms for those who drive faster or slower than me. I try to drive with courtesy and safety in mind, and would like to receive the same consideration from other drivers who share the road with me , but as we all know this doesn't always happen in todays "me first world".

Dieselclacker
You being from Montana, 60-62 surprises me. You are probably turning about 1,400 to 1,500 RPM at those speeds. Bet you don't pass too many folks unless they have a flat.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #138

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy
Recently drove I-15 through Utah (going North)and there are several "Test Sections" on the freeway that the posted speed limit is 80mph. Sections seem to be about 20 miles long and I have no idea what they are testing.
Most western states the limit on freeways is 70 or 75mph.
My 1997 Bounder at 80, well maybe going down 6% with clear forward route. But damn my foot is ready
Old 07-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #139

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935
I just returned from a trip on Arizona Hwy95 to Lake Havasu. It has a speed limit of 55 and 65 in some spots. There were two Motorhomes traveling together at 45mph that had a line of cars behind them 1/4 mile long. They wouldn't speed up or turn off to let the trafic pass by. Nor would they get some distance between them to make room for other vehicles room to pass. It is idiots like this that gives Motorhomes a bad rap.
That road was not fun
Old 07-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #140

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Once in a while strange things happen to posts on this web site; they just disappear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
The reply is from post 108
Thanks, finally found it

I still drive the old double nickle, loaded or empty.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote