Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Is there really a danger in driving the posted speed limit. Will 63 be safer than 65 ? I also am aware of the expertise level or lack of expertise which I have observed in all the miles I have driven. Does anyone understand that the slower they drive under the posted limit, the more they put themselves in harms way ?
I am pretty sure most of the below 65mph crowd will take exception to my observation which is fine.
I was just something that aroused my curiocity.
Yeah, I guess I do take a little bit of an exception... For me it's a comfort thing. Not that I feel I don't have the skill or expertise to drive 65 instead of 62... but I drive the speed that gives me the most enjoyment from my trip and don't feel I need to do otherwise for any reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I usually drive our motorhome on the interstates and multi-lane highways at 60/62 MPH. The engine sounds and performs well in this speed range, it seems to be a pretty good speed for our coach mileage wise also. Probably as important as anything else, I as the driver feel very comfortable at this speed. I have no qualms for those who drive faster or slower than me. I try to drive with courtesy and safety in mind, and would like to receive the same consideration from other drivers who share the road with me , but as we all know this doesn't always happen in todays "me first world".

Dieselclacker
Very well said. I have no qualms with those who drive their rigs the speed limit... although I do take it a bit personally when one puts me and mine in danger by flying by at 80... and I make every effort to extend every possible courtesy. I spent the greater part of my life trying to elbow my way ahead of people in one way or another. I'm retired now and just ain't gonna do it no more!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #142

Send a message via Yahoo to Moshe5368
The wife and I are retired truck drivers with a little over 3 million safe, accident free miles behind us. We have a 1992 30' Fleetwood Flair which may not be the prettiest girl at the ball but gets the job done. I usually drive between 63-65 on interstate and 50-55 most everywhere else. I'm not in a big hurry anymore but try to stay out of the way of big trucks and give them the room I know they need to do their job. At the same time I give the cars lots of room and leave room ahead. I find that the 5-10 mph difference in speed between us and the other traffic gives me more safety room ahead. Folks pass me and keep going. While I cannot control the space to my side or behind me, I do have control of the space ahead and leave lots of wiggle room. I taught the Smith System of safe driving to other OTR drivers for years and it works well for me. There is a lot of beautiful country here and I want to take the time to see as much of it as I can without a schedule to keep. Hope to see you out there.
Moshe5368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:03 AM   #143

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very well said. I have no qualms with those who drive their rigs the speed limit... although I do take it a bit personally when one puts me and mine in danger by flying by at 80... and I make every effort to extend every possible courtesy. I spent the greater part of my life trying to elbow my way ahead of people in one way or another. I'm retired now and just ain't gonna do it no more!

Rick[/QUOTE]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I certainly agree with that, seeing that most 22.5 tires are speed rated at 75 mph.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote