Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
About fifty eight to sixty two on the ''junkyard'' and I try to take secondary roads if they go where I want to go. Hurry makes Worry.......

God bless our troops
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I was able to do the math last Thanksgiving on a trip from the Florida Panhandle to San Antonio. The truck pulling the fiver seems to like 63 miles per hour best, that's where I get the peak fuel economy on the lie-o-meter. I averaged 10 miles per gallon. Any slower and the transmission would shift down. Any faster and the mileage would drop.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #17

For me it's very simple. I'm driving a tarted-up 11-ton truck. I stick to the truck speed limits.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Sweet spot is 58-63. I normally run whatever the truckers are running, you know, the owner operators who pay for their own fuel and know the best efficiency. Don't try to run with the company drivers. Have you ever noticed that vehicles seem to travel in clumps. You drive along at 55-60 and suddenly in you rear view mirror there will be a clump of cars gaining on you. Next thing you know the clump has passed by and it's back to a pleasant, quiet highway until the next clump appears. They must get lonely.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
I run about 60 MPH. Also because of the type of brakes (hydro boost) 2000 gas,workhorse chassis, I have to stomp down hard to stop.

I'm told that's the way this brake system is. I hope the slower speed will gives me some extra space to stop.

Fred from Pasco, Wa.
frederick w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #20

55-60 and all the back roads I can get to. Anyone can travel the superhighways but real scenery is the back roads that eventually get you there. We can make a 400 mi trip last for 3-4 days and do. I try to make excuses to stay on back ways and let those on supers crash away at any speed.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #21

I'm most comfortable at 55 to 62mph. My fuel economy is reasonable and the ride is pleasant. I have been known to push toward 70mph, but I feel like I can hear the gas being sucked into the engine, and the ride becomes strained...it's me not the MH. Once I start the rig my vacation has started, and part of the enjoyment is seeing the countryside, and stopping whenever we feel like taking in the sights. If I am in a rush to get someplace we will take the car or book a flight.
On two lane roads I will pull off at every wide spot in the road to let even one car pass. I don't want to ruin anyones day.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress
If so, what is it and why?

I'll go first

50-55mph, the handling and performance just drops off much past 60mph and there's such a large quantity of stupid on the road, that the extra margin gives me a better window of reaction, the Redneck Express doesn't stop on a dime.

I've been known to do around 45 mph on back country 2 laners where I'm more interested in seeing what's around me than getting somewhere.

If ya pass me, ya pass me, if ya pass me like an idiot, I will promote you to colonel as you pass.
The speed limit up to 65. Things just get a little uneasy over 65.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
So far, I'm noticing an exact opposite trend of the place where this thread actually originated. There, the average speed is up towards 70 and quite a bit of malice directed towards those that don't fly along like a BoH.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I recently posted something similar on the Monaocers discussion forum WRT rig size, speed, etc. Got a variety of responses and basically told I was going too slow.

Well, the bottom-line is I will continue to drive at whatever speed I feel comfortable and fully in control of my rig.

My 40 ft. coach is at the top weight or over, 36,000 lb's, my 26 foot cargo trailer is most likely at 11,000 lb's, it will handle 12,000. When hauling together, I am about 72 feet long so I am long and heavy. On two lane county or state highway roads, I am usually at 50-55 mph. On 4 lane freeway's I am generally at 60-62 mph.

Recently, coming across the country from CA to FL there were areas of Texas and other states that had limits of 80 mph. That's insane! You will find me ALWAYS in the very right hand lane which allows all of those people that want to kill themselves to drive as fast as they all want to go and they do.

After driving over 3100 this last trip, I never had a problem with people getting upset or irate, they always had plenty of room to go around including the OTR truckers that were always doing the limit or more.

No one will change my mind as I know exactly what my abilities are with my rig. Nowadays, I not only have to drive for myself, but ALL of the others that are on the road, it's called Defensive Driving. I am constantly planning out "what if's" in every driving situation so that I don't accidentally become involved in their situation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #25

Florida Cooters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I agree..Getting there is half the fun. We do travel the super highways when we have to.. but we are retired also and enjoy seeing the "Back Country".

Interstate: 60-65 mph
Back Roads: speed limit or slower, Max 55
Old 02-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
55-60 for us, no faster. We use the interstate, stay in the far right lane unless we need to move over.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #27

I like to cruise at between 98 and 102.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally the speed limit up to a top of 65 mph. The truck will pull the trailer well over 75, but what is the point? RVing is supposed to be fun, it is not a race. But every time we have the trailer out, we have some less than sane person blow by us in his RV like we are sitting still.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote