Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #99

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCowgill View Post
just returned from a trip on Arizona Hwy95 to Lake Havasu. It has a speed limit of 55 and 65 in some spots. There were two Motorhomes traveling together at 45mph that had a line of cars behind them 1/4 mile long. They wouldn't speed up or turn off to let the trafic pass by. Nor would they get some distance between them to make room for other vehicles room to pass. It is idiots like this that gives Motorhomes a bad rap.
It is sad that so many drivers are inconsiderate of others. These are the same people who give RVers a bad name as well as cause some of the road rage directed at RV's. We all need to b e more considerate.
What's the terrain like on that highway, out of curiosity? Going uphill in mountains, I don't get much faster than 45mph either and I don't pull out into a pull out unless its at the top of a hill so I have someway of rebuilding my momentum.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:34 AM   #100

National RV Owners Club
Usually about 5 mph below the posted limit on the freeway. It's just a little more relaxing and better on fuel. It also depends also on the flow and level of traffic. Seems no matter what the traffic flow, no one likes to be stuck behind a big vehicle and they're always trying to pass. Sometimes rather hurredly and not so safe. The speed limit or a little slower on secondary roads. We live in a mountainous area so I will let the speed build up if it's a downhill, followed by a short uphill. Not to make the hill better, but to stay more with the flow of the traffic. Use the Smith system when driving every day and have the 5 keys posted in the motor home as a reminder.

Aim high in steering
Get the big picture
Keep your eyes moving
Leave yourself an out
Make sure they see you

Ride a harley also and these keys have saved my butt on more than one ocassion.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
We enjoy the 2 lane roads the most. I run 58 mph if it is not over the speed limit. We tow a heavy load when going south for the winter so I like to have a little extra space if possible even though I have 8 sets of brakes it still takes distance to stop 31000 lbs. That also seems to be the sweet spot for the V10. I am able to squeeze out an average of 7.8 to 8.1 at that speed that is over a 5000 mile trips.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #102
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We usually try to hold it between 60-62 on the freeways and 55-60 on two lane roads when possible. Get the best gas mileage at about 2000 or less rpm.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #103

I like 62 mph when the speed limit is 65-75. If the speed limit is 55, I keep it at or below 60. 10 mph faster only save about 10 - 12 min per hour of travel. Should I get stoped for speeding say in a state like CA. My window tint is illegal, my firearm is illegal to have, and who knows what else.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #104

Yep, 55 MPH. I'm retired...fulltiming...and in no hurry to get anywhere. Don't want to drive over 200 miles in any one day. I used to be in a rat race but no more of that!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #105

I.ve had the same speed freaks pass me two, three times the same day; (hurry up, stop, hurry up, stop,) don't make a lot of sence to me.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #106

On the Superslab it's 65,...

Anywhere else I never have to try to remember because it's posted for me every once in a while along the roadside.
michigancamper
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #107

57 on two lane roads and 62 on divided highways. Vehicles backing up behind me I move over and let them pass. My speedometer reads 62 while the GPS says I am doing 56. So, I rely on the GPS for MPH. Truckers? I move over ALWAYS! They are working and most times are quite courteous.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #108

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
If so, what is it and why?
Yep. I do. And everybody passes me while shaking their fists and screaming all sorts of unrepeatables. One of the most common phrases thrown my way is: "You drive like an old lady!"

35MPH

Yep. That's it. And that seriously high for me 25MPH not unusual.

If I get on the Interstate I get up to 45MPH only because law requires you drive at a 45MPH minimum.

Why? My father was a speed demon. Rarely drove under 70. Between my 6th and 12th years I had been in 14 major car accidents, every one of them caused by speed, most cases a result of doing 85MPH threw a red light or a stop sign. I spent a lot of my childhood sitting in ERs and learning to be terrified to get near cars.

Why did my father never go to jail, never lose his license, never get a ticket, and never once even get a warning? Abusing the system. He was a fire fighter and would flash his badge and lie to the police office at the accident by saying he was on his way to a fire, even though he never was, during any of the accidents, and I never understood why no one ever questioned why he had his wife and kids in the car on his way to a fire?

I spent many years terrified to drive a car and was 35 years old before I got my driving permit and took my first road test.

I have a serious phobia of speeders, fast cars, and being on major highways. Rarely will you see me off a road marked over 45MPH.

I also know that in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermort there is NO speed limit over 65MPH and that is on the INTERSTATE ONLY and there are NO roads in these 3 states marked higher than 45MPH other than RT1 which is 50MPH. This is THE LAW. So reading other posts here, I'm assuming other states allow higher speed limits??? Because I see the average answer to be "I drive slow at only 65 - 75MPH". Slow? You call that slow? That's 20 miles over the HIGHEST posted limits in Maine! Which incur a fine of $500 for every 10 miles over the limit. Your slow would get you a $1,000 fine in Maine.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #109

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=EelKat;914909]Yep. I do. And everybody passes me while shaking their fists and screaming all sorts of unrepeatables. One of the most common phrases thrown my way is: "You drive like an old lady!"

35MPH

If I get on the Interstate I get up to 45MPH only because law requires you drive at a 45MPH minimum.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are a very brave, inconsiderate, foolish person. If you ever venture out west you will need to pick up the pace a bit or you will have an 18 Wheeler coming in your back door
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #110

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Chuck 1935;914932]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
Yep. I do. And everybody passes me while shaking their fists and screaming all sorts of unrepeatables. One of the most common phrases thrown my way is: "You drive like an old lady!"

35MPH

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are a very brave, inconsiderate, foolish person. If you ever venture out west you will need to pick up the pace a bit or you will have an 18 Wheeler coming in your back door

, Very true

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat

35MPH

Why? My father was a speed demon. Rarely drove under 70. Between my 6th and 12th years I had been in 14 major car accidents, every one of them caused by speed, most cases a result of doing 85MPH threw a red light or a stop sign. I spent a lot of my childhood sitting in ERs and learning to be terrified to get near cars.

Why did my father never go to jail, never lose his license, never get a ticket, and never once even get a warning? Abusing the system. He was a fire fighter and would flash his badge and lie to the police office at the accident by saying he was on his way to a fire, even though he never was, during any of the accidents, and I never understood why no one ever questioned why he had his wife and kids in the car on his way to a fire?

I spent many years terrified to drive a car and was 35 years old before I got my driving permit and took my first road test.

I have a serious phobia of speeders, fast cars, and being on major highways. Rarely will you see me off a road marked over 45MPH.

I also know that in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermort there is NO speed limit over 65MPH and that is on the INTERSTATE ONLY and there are NO roads in these 3 states marked higher than 45MPH other than RT1 which is 50MPH. This is THE LAW. So reading other posts here, I'm assuming other states allow higher speed limits??? Because I see the average answer to be "I drive slow at only 65 - 75MPH". Slow? You call that slow? That's 20 miles over the HIGHEST posted limits in Maine! Which incur a fine of $500 for every 10 miles over the limit. Your slow would get you a $1,000 fine in Maine.
If this post is serious (I'm not sure if it's just a trolling post), I believe you should reconsider RV travel as a lifestyle. The speeds you are "comfortable" with are dangerous to others in the road. Traffic is expected to move at a certain rate. Someone is going to rear end you eventually. You are not being safe at those speeds but rather a slow moving hazard.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #112

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I understand here in Virginia the law is, towing (anything) behind your vehicle the speed limit is 55mph. That is fine with me and 55mph is usually my max speed. I say usually because sometimes even with the cruise set I'll drift up to 60 or so on a long down hill and a strong tail wind.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote