Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #1

Do you have to sue insurance company to get what is due

Has anyone ever sued an insurance company? Safeco is treating us rudely and unfairly.
OHpink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #2

Ask an attorney. Most will give you 30 minutes or so free to find out if you have a case.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpink2 View Post
Has anyone ever sued an insurance company? Safeco is treating us rudely and unfairly.
Not much to go on here... How are they treating you unfairly? What happened and what are they offering?

But to answer your basic question, consult with an attorney to see if your complaint has merit, and is worth suing over. Also check your policy to see if you have to go through arbitration, again an attorney will be able to advise.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Not much to go on here... How are they treating you unfairly? What happened and what are they offering?
Many states have a commission or some one that over looks insurance companies.
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
20 years ago I filed a small claims against State farm and picked up a check the day they received the paper work.

Mike
Old 10-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Contact the State Insurance Commissioner. They issue and control licenses. File a complaint and see what they can do to resolve your problem.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OHpink2,

I threatened to sue my insurance co and they coughed up the full check. All it took was to threaten them.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It has been done.. Generally you won't be all that happy.

A better idea in many cases.. FMCA,, Trailer LIfe, Good Sam's and such all publish magazines.. Many of these have a "Trouble Shooter/Action LIne/Help line" type person or editor.. You contact them and sing your tale of woe (Whatever it is) IF they feel it's legit (NOTE: I have not read your full tale and thus have no clue) they may contact the insurance company on your behalf.

Now Insurance Companies do not fear attorneys for they have them too.

EDITORS however are another story.. one bad review in a RV magazine can cost them millions in lost income.

Note: I have two stories. one funny, illistrating this very issue.

NOTE also.. Sometimes when I read those Action LInes.... I fully agree with the company.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Contact the State Insurance Commissioner. They issue and control licenses. File a complaint and see what they can do to resolve your problem.
Yes, but before doing so, go up the chain in the insurer's chain-of-command:

1. Claim supervisor.

2. Claim manager.

If those fail, then go to your state's insurance commissioner.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
WDW

Look up public adjusters . They work on a commission beating up insurance companies for every last dime they can get for you - because they get their cut. I've told my agent if we ever have a loss he's going to be the second call I make. If you are in NY state it's National Fire Adjusters. I think they may work in a few other states.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #11

Certified public adjuster, don't leave home without their number.
buddaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #12

Dealng with insurance

By rudely I mean the auto guy from Safeco says I am not happy because they aren't saying what I want to hear. They never gave me any choice but to have Tony's in Lexington, SC give an estimate and fix it. He gave a very low estimate but has a statement on his form that if he uncovers other problems it will be more. He has it to just under $30,000 without any mechanic looking at it etc. we have replacement cost with Safeco so they are trying to not meet that figure. Our motorhome had 6 months left on the 1 year warranty. I am sure Tony's is not going to add that on to his repair work. Tony's is in SC and we are in Florida. Our motorhome is a Class C and we paid roughly $63,000 for it. According to the service from Camping World in Tampa, the repairs will be much more than $30,000. Also, Tony's wants to only replace part of the side panel on the driver's side and put a seam down the side. He says the roof does not need replaced even though it is ripped off from the front and we had books and sheets out on the road. We called Liberty Mutual and they said they will send someone else out for an estimate. I don't know if that is a certified public adjuster or not. The accident was caused by a Liberty Mutual company-owned dump truck. Thanks for your help. Any more questions?
OHpink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpink2 View Post
By rudely I mean the auto guy from Safeco says I am not happy because they aren't saying what I want to hear. They never gave me any choice but to have Tony's in Lexington, SC give an estimate and fix it. He gave a very low estimate but has a statement on his form that if he uncovers other problems it will be more. He has it to just under $30,000 without any mechanic looking at it etc. we have replacement cost with Safeco so they are trying to not meet that figure. Our motorhome had 6 months left on the 1 year warranty. I am sure Tony's is not going to add that on to his repair work. Tony's is in SC and we are in Florida. Our motorhome is a Class C and we paid roughly $63,000 for it. According to the service from Camping World in Tampa, the repairs will be much more than $30,000. Also, Tony's wants to only replace part of the side panel on the driver's side and put a seam down the side. He says the roof does not need replaced even though it is ripped off from the front and we had books and sheets out on the road. We called Liberty Mutual and they said they will send someone else out for an estimate. I don't know if that is a certified public adjuster or not. The accident was caused by a Liberty Mutual company-owned dump truck. Thanks for your help. Any more questions?
Generally-speaking, you have the right to have your vehicle repaired at a shop of your choice. All the insurer does is agree to a price.

To do that, they have to send a material-damage appraiser to inspect a vehicle and come to an agreed price to repair with the shop. If you and the appraiser do not come to an agreed price to repair or the repair plan, you have the right in the policy to go to arbitration. You would have to pay for your own appraiser to determine what your damages are and the two parties chose an umpire (arbitrator) to review both sides' documents and render an opinion.

You are bound by the umpire's decision.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #14

My daughters brand new car was hit at a stop sign by an elderly man looking for his doctors office. His insurance company low balled it. I told her to call the BMW or Mercedes dealer and find who does their repairs and to take the car there, no bondo - new fender. His insurance company sent a check which I returned with a note saying no thank you we are going to sue the driver. My insurance company was in on this and paid for the repairs. His insurance soon paid in full.

You sue the other driver and the owner of the dump truck. Your insurance company should handle this. Net it fixed where you want. Your insurance should pay for this then they will sue if need be to recover their costs.

Tags
insurance