Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Do You Inspect Work or Maintenance Done on Your Rig?

How many times have you taken in a vehicle for general maintenance later to find it was not done properly?

Just last year, we took our sons car in for full service oil change, all fluids were to be checked including Trans, rear end and so on.

Week later, noise in rear end. Took to professional shop and rear end needed replacement. No fluid at all. Mech showed us, the rear end nut had never been removed and absolutely certain not checked.

Seen other things like this where grease zerts not greased as they were supposed to be.

I don't like looking over the shoulder's of a mechanic who is doing the work and most places will not let you near the shop area due to liability.

On your RV for example, I do not like getting on the roof and yet trust the shops to do what is expected when you take in for routine service. Say like cleaning / service the AC units. Checking axle / bearing grease. Since leaving the unit at the shop sometimes involves several days how do you make sure it gets done and done properly? We had our 5r in shop and I wanted inspection & confirmation bearings were greased and packed properly. Later checked hubs and it did not look like any inspection was done at all. I was told it was and this is a reputable dealer.

Perhaps a mobile mechanic is the answer. At least you have some opportunity to verify the work your paying for.

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

If you don't check out what you just paid for, then you're a fool. The only time i have ever not check out someone elses work is when i have my autos worked on, the guy whom works on these, i trust with my life. He's a Top Notch tech and is as honest as the day is long!

04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I used to check everything. It took so much time, I decided to do the work myself. As long as I can, I will do the work myself. After that, I will watch the service tech do what they are suppose to do. The last task of a successful manager is to inspect what we expect.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

You bet that I check my vehicles whenever I have some one else work on them! Not only for the things that they might have missed, but to ensure that the vehicle is still clean. There have been times that our MH have grease and dirt on the inside. It was cleaned BEFORE it left the shop. I also check for compartment doors that were not properly latched. I know that it upsets some shops when I get a flash light out and crawl underneath to check things out, but that is the way it goes.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #5

We take a requested repair/service list when we drop it off. We take the same list with us when we pick it up. We don't sign any repair/service paperwork until we walk thru and inspect everything with the service manager and the tech that performed the service.learned that was necessary pretty quickly.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The times I have not checked the job has been done incorrectly and I have had to return anyway. I check.

I discovered the hard way the accepting the word of the tech or service manager that all is done and done well is just a bad idea.

Before I leave the grounds of the shop I test every thing they have worked on.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Doug mentioned I am a fool for not checking but I want to remind you all that where I am from and the era I grew up in when a man looks a man in the eye, shakes his hand and gives his word, it's good as gold.
I was a mechanic once in my youth and I would never ever believe that a tech or shop would charge or claim service was performed without actually doing the work.
In every opportunity I try and observe what is going on but as I previously stated it does not alway happen. Last shop visit resulted in me leaving the unit there. Sure is a shame when you can not trust someone or a business like you used to.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure i check all i can. But the realities are many of us cannot check all services. Some areas are inaccessible, require disassembly, etc. So there is always a need for a level of trust - and uncertainty. Best is to develop a relationship with a shop and build a level of trust.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I used to check everything. It took so much time, I decided to do the work myself. As long as I can, I will do the work myself. After that, I will watch the service tech do what they are suppose to do. The last task of a successful manager is to inspect what we expect.
Same here - cheap no-name parts rather than factory branded, not installed properly, skipped critical steps, etc. Once I got my vehicle back without any oil in it - never again. Now I only take my vehicles in for work when it's something that I can't do myself, and then I check their work as best I can.

Our camper is vintage, so there are few people who know how to properly work on it, therefore we tend to use the same person for all hired out work, and even with them I still review what they did just to be sure. I trust him, but I'm the one who ultimately has to deal with the results of their work. Besides, a good Captain always knows every weld, line, pump, or other part in his 'ship'...

- Randy
Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Let me ask you this....

If I start using CW exclusively and something goes wrong, say like wheel bearings after they supposedly just inspected/packed them on a trip.

Will the next CW down the road cover cost of repairs? I have not used a shop at a CW yet but with them becoming so big all over, you find them almost as frequently as a Walmart. Question do they stand behind their service and provide excellent results?
Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found it is always a good idea to inspect or to observe. Too many times Ive had stuff done wrong.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #12

We ran into a problem with Cummins when they worked on the engine. They had to remove the engine to rebuild it and when they put it back in they "forgot" to install 2 thumb sized bolts that held the engine and transmission together! another one was just finger tight.

This was a top notch dealer, or so we were told. When we returned to get them to fix their problems, their comment that "we are really busy right now and we will try to squeeze you in sometime" just didn't sit well with me.

Exhaust brake was the same way. 3 different dealers "fix" the exhaust brake while under warranty. They eyeballed it and confirmed it was working. But after I did some looking I found the harness connector wasn't even plugged in.

Don't get me started about my past life when I had the responsibility for overseeing 50 pickups and their standard oil changes etc. Mr. Goodwrench does not exist!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Great signature line, Bigd9

- Randy

Tags
maintenance