Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Do You Know Just...

...How difficult it is to photograph Hummingbirds? This group is just from this AM..and they are not as good as some that I have on my blog.
Actually I have a slide-show of birds showing on my blog now - and another link down on the left side for more Hummingbirds. (The other Hummingbird photo link is the first one listed...and it is about halfway down the blog page on the left.)
I hope you enjoy these teeny birds!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Love the little critters

Yep, I just love them. Especially if they are ''cooked right''..........lol.......
IM TEASING.........................
Last year we had a ''feeder'' on the back sun deck and the ''hummers'' found it and it was a delight to watch them. Our yard is fenced behind the house and we let our dogs out to ''water the grass'' and make ''shame shame'' and I would sometimes stand against the rail next to the feeder and watch out puppies run in the back yard. I was standing there one morning , very close to the feeder, watching the dogs. To my supprise a ''hummer'' flew right up to my face. He was no more than two inches from my nose. I stood very still as he ''inspected'' me. He was so close I could feel the ''backwash'' of his wings and see him from an ''upclose''prospective that I have never seen a ''hummer''. He really looked me over from my chest to the top of my head. I guess he decided that he would let me live and in a flash, he was gone. ''POOF''...... The complete incident took maybe 30 seconds but it was delightful.
One thing.... Please tell people that feed the ''hummers'' to keep their feeders very clean and take away the feeders so the hummers will migrate in the fall.
Wonderful Pix ......
God bless our troops and bring them home safe and very soon
God bless our vets .....ALL GAVE SOME ...SOME GAVE ALL

Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I was standing there one morning , very close to the feeder, watching the dogs. To my supprise a ''hummer'' flew right up to my face. He was no more than two inches from my nose. I stood very still as he ''inspected'' me. He was so close I could feel the ''backwash'' of his wings and see him from an ''upclose''prospective that I have never seen a ''hummer''.
I've done the same thing.

Stand right next to the feeder, don't move and they'll come right up.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

For some reason, last fall I found 4-5 dead ones in my new RV garage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
your pictures are great, the close ups of them feeding on necture was cool . Humminbirds are on of my favorite birds to watch as well as the finches.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
For some reason, last fall I found 4-5 dead ones in my new RV garage.
Sometimes a Hummer will fly into a garage or breezeway and not find their way out. It doesn't take long before they will collaspe from fatique or lack of fuel. I've heard of people finding them on the floor but still alive and pick them up and stick the end of their bill into some sugar water. In just a short while they recover and take off.

Wagonmaster2
Old 07-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
...How difficult it is to photograph Hummingbirds? This group is just from this AM..and they are not as good as some that I have on my blog.
Actually I have a slide-show of birds showing on my blog now - and another link down on the left side for more Hummingbirds. (The other Hummingbird photo link is the first one listed...and it is about halfway down the blog page on the left.)
I hope you enjoy these teeny birds!
Hi Mama-

Really enjoyed your Hummer pictures. What part of the country did you get your pictures? We love to camp in the mountains of Colorado during the early summer months when the Hummers are really active. I have four feeders that attach to the MH windows so we get a very close-up view of them. Can even see their tiny toes and toe nails since they can't see through the tinted windows when its sunny outside. On this early summer trip I was counting 15-20 birds at one time at the feeders, usually very active about 30 minutes before dark. I was making about a quart of liquid each day and went through about 10 lbs. of sugar in the 2 week stay.
They are mostly broad tails, which resemble the ruby throat but the males make a loader sound when they fly. We did have a couple of rufous Hummers but they are terribly territoral and keep trying to run everything else off.
Wish we had more here in Oklahoma but generally all we get is 2-3 about this time of year, which I think are probably just passing through.
Keep posting any Hummers you have, never get tired watching them.

Wagonmaster2
Old 07-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we have had them get in the garage...after the red door release, and cannot get out. we have captured them in a net when they are worn out. You can hold them and plug them into sugar water or even a soda (non-diet). They will sit on your hand a few moments and recharge their batteries and then zip off.

ken
Old 07-31-2010, 02:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphog View Post
your pictures are great, the close ups of them feeding on necture was cool . Humminbirds are on of my favorite birds to watch as well as the finches.
Thank You Swampdog! You will find some finches I have photographed here on my Birds link.

Here is a photo that I took last night...
Old 07-31-2010, 03:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Wagonmaster2.. the photos have been taken in the Sacramento Valley of Northern California.

This is one of the photos I took one night while shooting through the glass -

You can see how the iridescent color changes depending on the angle and the sun in many of the photos I have taken.

I was so close last night (abt 18") that I could not focus well enough. You will find another link on my blog for the other link that I added tonight. (Yes.. a third link...)
Old 08-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I've done the same thing.

Stand right next to the feeder, don't move and they'll come right up.
I've experienced the same thing while dry camping in the mountains of Colorado. Sometimes I think they just try to see how close they can come to a person when they fly by your head. I sometimes wonder just how much aim and control they have when chasing another bird and if they would possibly hit a person with that pointed bill. Never heard of it happening, but when you can feel the wind from their wings as they pass your ear I always duck.

Wagonmaster2
Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club

Black Chinned Hummingbird
Old 08-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #13

A bird in the hand is worth two on the feeder.
This bird is in the hands of my wife.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	humbird2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	4872  
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Great pictures MM we have had them visit one of our red hanging plants on deck.
I have had feeders but not much luck attracting them, notice fluids in your feeders is clear liquid, mine was red fluid that you buy at bird shops.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote