Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
I would NOT loan out my wife, my rv, my car or my boat to anybody. If they haven't got the money for a rental then that is too bad how do you know they won't break something and you will have to pay for it.

I think you are way too nice and made a mistake because now they will always come to you to loan your rv.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #44

I've loaned ours over the years to different family members with the understanding that they pay for , or repair, any damage not covered by insurance.
No problems to date and I've been doing that since 1976.
Hey. What's family for if not to help one another?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ~Mark Twain
ed6713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
That's very nice of you . I would never do it and I don't think its because I'm not nice . They thought renting was expensive. I think loaning can be more expensive. I hope yours turns out well.
^^ This. No way, no how. I hope it turns out OK for you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #46

Thor Owners Club
I live by the words of my father..... Neither a borrower or a lender be..so no I wont lend out my rig
Old 08-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife's daughter and husband wanted to borrow ours for a weekend camping trip. I reminded my wife what the inside of their house looks like. She said "good point". We just told them our insurance didn't allow any other drivers but my wife and I. You were very nice to do what you did but I don't think I could do it.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have looked in my Chrystal Ball and there is good news and bad news.

First the good news. Your RV will be returned safe and sound and everybody happy.

The bad news? They want to borrow it again.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
Three things you don't lone out you RV, Your boat and your wife!
Why?
All three can get a rod thrown in them...
LMAO!

If I had one, no!

I have two FAMILY members who have 40' DP's. I would never ask them for the fear of breaking something....
Old 08-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #50

WOW, just wow. I would have never guessed that people are so possessive about their stuff. I have loaned out my previous coaches many times and have never had a problem. Maybe my friends are more trustworthy but I never gave it a second thought. The rewards of loaning things out is that you get to spread the joy of this lifestyle and let people sample it. A side benefit is that you will usually get offers in return. For example I have been loaned items from airplanes to boats to a Prevost Motohome and matching hummer that we took to Glacier NP when I was motorhome-less. You don't loan to get something else but it's amazing how much you will get back in return.

The bottom line is it's just a hunk of metal and if it can spread some joy in someone's life than I say go for it. It's insured and I know that my friends will take care of it, probably better than I would.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:56 AM   #51

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Simply put, Hell No!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
There is a reason RV rentals are so expensive and your friend could not afford to rent one. People don't take care of them like it was there own and they are expensive to repair
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Only to my son....... He took his first trip by himself when he was 19. He had been moving it around the yard since he was 15.

When he took it at 19 my wife said do you trust him with it? I said yes, I
TRAINED him.

On the other hand, my Dad had a farm, you drove everything ad soon as you could reach the pedals.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
WOW, just wow. I would have never guessed that people are so possessive about their stuff. I have loaned out my previous coaches many times and have never had a problem. Maybe my friends are more trustworthy but I never gave it a second thought. The rewards of loaning things out is that you get to spread the joy of this lifestyle and let people sample it. A side benefit is that you will usually get offers in return. For example I have been loaned items from airplanes to boats to a Prevost Motohome and matching hummer that we took to Glacier NP when I was motorhome-less. You don't loan to get something else but it's amazing how much you will get back in return.

The bottom line is it's just a hunk of metal and if it can spread some joy in someone's life than I say go for it. It's insured and I know that my friends will take care of it, probably better than I would.
For starters, we have a "named driver" insurance policy. They want to know who's going to be driving that motor home. From driving experience, to driving record, to credit history. Second, the down time involved, as well as the expense, can be staggering when it comes to what are pretty common mistakes. It doesn't take much. I can't imagine letting somebody with no prior experience fuel up a motor home, let alone be competent when picking out and backing into a parking space? Or are these people expected to know what a drive though campsite is? Even if they were to agree to handle the expense of an issue that is obviously their doing, what about a blown tire? Will they blame that on you as poor maintenance on your part? A cooked engine when a belt or hose lets go due to somebody not paying attention to the temp gauge buzzers and alarms?

Nope. I don't know anyone that I would expose to those kinds of threats. Family or friends.....

And I wouldn't loan a 30'+ boat out to somebody with no experience beyond a ski boat either....

Plane? That might be different. As long as they were current and type certified...

Point being, I try to avoid trouble. I run into enough on my own, without looking for it...

I gained my experience on my dime, and expect others need to do the same.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hope you got your rig back safe and sound. If I were borrowing a rig I would be scared to death that I would scratch the thing....if I let someone borrow my rig I would be hoping I got it back in one piece. Personally, I could not do what you have done.....
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto on most comments above... To add that...for a seriously close friend, I might consider driving my rv to their destination, setting it up, then leaving them to enjoy it and return for the break down. But that would have to be a really good friend, who really needs the favor.