Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #1

Do You loan out your Baby (RV) ?

Our very goods friends, the other day had posted on Facebook, that they had made enquiries about renting a Motorhome to see if they would enjoy the Glamping experiance. After checking numerious Rental agencies, they determined it would be to expensive for their 2 day local trip.
The DW and I discussed this and knowing that the couple had gone through some very rough times as of late (death in family, lost job ect) that we would loan them ours. Well, today is the day that they leave for there local Trip (not so local, 4hr drive up the Coquihalla hwy) and 2days has turned into 4. Morally we believe, it was the right thing to do. What goes around comes around. I have given the driver a 3hr orientation on how the systems operate (how to set up and tear down) The driver has had limited large rig driving experiance. (uhaul) We know that costly problems could happen, but pray that they have a great Family experiance with no issues. Have you done this, and what was the outcome? If you haven't done this would you consider it?
Thanks,
Ted
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Community Administrator

That's very nice of you . I would never do it and I don't think its because I'm not nice . They thought renting was expensive. I think loaning can be more expensive. I hope yours turns out well.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
To me loaning out my RV would be like loaning out my wife. Not gonna happen, and as said previously it is not because I am not charitable. Just some things you don't do.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #4

In my opinion you are way-way-way too nice!!!! I hope this works out well for you. For sure not something I'd do.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted E View Post
Our very goods friends, the other day had posted on Facebook, that they had made enquiries about renting a Motorhome to see if they would enjoy the Glamping experiance. After checking numerious Rental agencies, they determined it would be to expensive for their 2 day local trip.
The DW and I discussed this and knowing that the couple had gone through some very rough times as of late (death in family, lost job ect) that we would loan them ours. Well, today is the day that they leave for there local Trip (not so local, 4hr drive up the Coquihalla hwy) and 2days has turned into 4. Morally we believe, it was the right thing to do. What goes around comes around. I have given the driver a 3hr orientation on how the systems operate (how to set up and tear down) The driver has had limited large rig driving experiance. (uhaul) We know that costly problems could happen, but pray that they have a great Family experiance with no issues. Have you done this, and what was the outcome? If you haven't done this would you consider it?
Thanks,
Ted
Ted
My dog?..... yes.
My wife?..... maybe.
My coach?.... NEVER!
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #6

I'd sooner loan out my husband (if I had one) than my motorhome.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
No way for me either. A very good friend of mine asked the same question, it's very hard to say no, but I did say no. He rented one and on his weekend trip turned a corner to sharp and damaged the rear of the rv on a light pole. Hope your generosity don't come back to bit you.
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #8

No.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #9

If something is going to break I want to be the one to break it. Too many expensive things to go wrong for me to lend out. I take friends and kids friends with us a lot , but another no here
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nope, not a chance. However I might have contributed to their rental fund depending on the circumstances.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Three things you don't lone out you RV, Your boat and your wife!
Why?
All three can get a rod thrown in them...
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
Three things you don't lone out you RV, Your boat and your wife!
Why?
All three can get a rod thrown in them...
Thanks for making me laugh. Worried sick already. Should have thought to have contributed to the Rental fund. Great suggestion Haven't heard from anyone who has done this and what the outcome was? I will update this thread when they return. In the mean time, it's going to be hard to sleep.
Thanks to all for the replies,
Ted
Old 08-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #13

WReeder x2!!! That is funny, having a Wife, boat and now our first Motorhome I agree. With our experiences it seems everytime we have loaned something out (never my wife) it never came back the way I would take care of it. The day we bought ours my idiot brother in law asked when they could rent it, and he had the nerve to say they were going on a 3 week vacation to Oregon in a few weeks and they would like to use it then(this guy hasn't worked in 20 years while my sister supports him). I not so politely told him no and that we didn't buy it as the family toy...it wasn't hard at all for me to say as I worked too hard for this and there are too many things that can happen quick with a MH.

We are not greedy, and are very generous to our kids and friends in need but I would rather help them out renting one than loaning ours out. My Wife and I decided to buy a used MH for our 4 kids to share so they could go with us/and or on their own and they won't have to ask us to use ours(they have to maintain it/insurance/reg ect). That sounds extreme but we would feel real bad telling them no, but we would if it comes up.

Ted, you guys are really nice people and I hope everything works out for you, but next time just give them the money if you can, at least you'll know what the worst you can lose is and won't worry...Good Luck...Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Hope everything works out.
As you know the drive from Hope to Kamloops has extreme grades both up and down. A cell phone call might be a good idea to remind him of the law of physics so nothing gets cooked. Also a constant reminder of both over height and tail swing.
Good luck.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote