Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #57

I get cut so much around the house and working on my MH, that my immune system is pretty tolerant. Besides, what about kids playing with it on the floor and then sticking in their mouths?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Interesting...but in the defense of American dentists, I have had nothing but excellent work done in the US. I still have fillings done by a US Navy dentist from 1965! And have been told many times how good the work was. Until recently, all my cleanings, fillings, root canals, and crowns were done in the US. All excellent work in pleasant surroundings.

Now retired and without dental insurance, a couple years ago I went to Palomas, Mexico to an excellent dental clinic that did an extraction and a root canal for me. Again, excellent work (as stated by a state side dentist who x-rayed the area of the work last year). Unfortunately, the owner who started the business was kidnapped and I believe murdered so the clinic has deteriorated since.

But I'm curious about your statement that an implant job can be done in 2 weeks, a quick check on google and you find that the gums must heal and the bone stabilize and that can take up to 6 months! That's after the extractions...then the implants are installed in the bone, another 4 months for the flesh to grow up around the implant, then the crowns screwed or glued on.

Since I'm considering a single implant of a tooth, Doc, how about this discrepancy I'm reading here and in other posts? Does the best work take 10 months, much of it waiting to heal, or can an implant actually only take 2 weeks?
That was my problem,because I could not wear dentures withot gagging and everbody told me that,google Dr cavallini to get to his site and call them and talk to them,90% of customers are from U. S.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #59

I used the Dr. Fierro clinic in Palomas. Very nice, modern, clean facility, with comfortable chairs (one of my dental work requirements). I was looking at implants there while I was waiting for my appointment and they quoted me $600 for one tooth, upper. Which I believe from my research is 1/3 to 1/4 what it costs in the US. At least in Portland, Oregon. Thought that was pretty darn good. Unfortunately, Dr. Fierro was kidnapped 2 hours after I met him and left.

I've since heard via a comment on my travel blog that the Fierro Clinic isn't doing such a good job anymore. But there are still several other clinics in Palomas.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #60

Interesting reading having just turned fifty and fighting with soft teeth all my life. Now considering dentures as they now just get lose and fall out. I was told unfortunately when I was younger this would happen eventualy. I am much less apprehensive after reading some of the denture werarers comments. I have spent thousands upon thousands to keep what I had but it is now time to give up the fight (yes they are that bad now). Thank you all for your informative posts
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi MRBB,
I will just add my 2cents.I am 63 and I have had upper dentures since I was 18yrs old.I would not go back because I was having alot of pain due to an injury so I had all the uppers pulled at one time and my dentures put right back in,that was really painful but, was worth it.My SIL had inplants put in and really likes them but,to me they don't look good so what ever you decide I would definitely do alot of research on the dentist.Good Luck And many Safe and Happy Travels
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
I am now 60 years old and my top teeth have started cracking and coming apart. I spent $7,500 8 years ago to "fix" all of them and now I'm thinking about just getting upper dentures.

Do you regret getting dentures and wish you had your org. teeth fixed or are your dentures working well?

Thank for your replies because this is a big decision for me.
My advise is keep your natural teeth as long as possible there is no turning back when they are gone. Have you considered implants ( not on your chest) but in your mouth? There are several options, I am a third generation teeth maker if you have any question I'll be happy to answer.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #63

Thank you all for your time and responses. You have not only helped me but others as well. It's a big decision and you all gave me a lot to think about. Happy travels to you all!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
My advise is keep your natural teeth as long as possible there is no turning back when they are gone. Have you considered implants ( not on your chest) but in your mouth? There are several options, I am a third generation teeth maker if you have any question I'll be happy to answer.
Inquiring minds would like to know, what is meant by "teeth maker"?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #65

My dentist made a temporary mold of my healed gums and new post installed and sent them to a lab have wax ones made. 2-3 days. If they looked and fit right, he sends the wax ones back to the lab to have the final plastic ones made. Another 1-2 weeks. I think the lab is what he means by a "Maker"

BTW, if anybody has the plastic ones and you drop and break it, you can use Super/Crazy Glue to glue the piece back on. There's something about the type of plastic and the glue that almost melts the two parts together. It's been over two years since Sadie, somehow grabbed my upper and took a 1/2" chunk out of one side, and it has not broken again. Trial fit the piece first, use minimal Super/Crazy Clue and let if sit for a hour. I can't even find where mine were broken and can chew on anything.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
There is not a certified implantology specialty. Any dentist can legally do implants. But some have more experience than others. And some are much better than others. Many times it will be a shared experience between an oral surgeon and a general dentist. The problem is it is difficult to find out who does good implants and who doesn't.
They are generally done by a oral surgeon .
Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Inquiring minds would like to know, what is meant by "teeth maker"?
I am a C.D.T certified dental technician 3rd generation my grandfather was a pioneer in this field started his lab in 1929. If it goes in your mouth I know about.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My dentist made a temporary mold of my healed gums and new post installed and sent them to a lab have wax ones made. 2-3 days. If they looked and fit right, he sends the wax ones back to the lab to have the final plastic ones made. Another 1-2 weeks. I think the lab is what he means by a "Maker"

BTW, if anybody has the plastic ones and you drop and break it, you can use Super/Crazy Glue to glue the piece back on. There's something about the type of plastic and the glue that almost melts the two parts together. It's been over two years since Sadie, somehow grabbed my upper and took a 1/2" chunk out of one side, and it has not broken again. Trial fit the piece first, use minimal Super/Crazy Clue and let if sit for a hour. I can't even find where mine were broken and can chew on anything.
Dentures are made of acrylic and super glue is toxic. If you are going to repair yourself it's best to fix while it's a crack before it breaks in half, that way its still in the right place. If its off alittle could cause fit problems and sore spots.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #69

For more information on implants (for your mouth) you can go to biomet3i.com a implant manufacture.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very interesting tread.

I have a friend who just had her upper teeth pulled. She has suffered for a long time but mentions how her noses is always stuffy. She tells me it was her teeth, and it's slowly improving. But the sad thing and I feel sorry for her is the dentures she has gotten. She told me the day she is still shrinking, on the second set of denture for the top. Her 6 months she said "I think" is May and she will have another set made. I feel sorry for her because both those dentures look fake. She told me she asked about having space put in and the denture man told her the teeth would fall out. I am hoping in May she will be happy and healed, but am afraid for her at this point. She can't seem to eat well with them. She tells me they are hard and uncomfortable. Does anyone here know of someone who is really really good making some good denture's that I could pass on for her. I feel so bad, I think she's depressed as well. But she had no choice to have her teeth pulled because of her infection problems. Thanks for any suggestions.