Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #29

Hey Joe, glad to hear things went as planned. Just like everyone has already said, do what they tell ya and you'll be fine. And yes, if you do take the opioids, be sure to take a stool softener and they will for sure bind you up. (Yes, I'm talking from experience and a RUN to the ER which caused a RUN to the bathroom....and I almost made it...sigh)

Best of wishes and praying for you.
Tri
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #30
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
So glad all went well. Now comes the healing & the PT.

I agree, be careful with the Oxy. I had surgery a yr ago & doc gave me a Rx for 10 5mg pills to keep ahead of the pain. I cut them in half as I heard how addictive they could be. Weaned off of them pretty quick & used Ibuprofen for pain control as well as reducing inflammation. I still have 15 halves of Oxy left. This is just what worked for me. Do what's best for you, just with care.

Best wishes.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #31

Good luck
james1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
X³ for avoiding the Oxys [plural] if you can. Perhaps you can hit the doc up for some Tylenol3... That's Tylenol w/Codine. Yep, it's an -oid, but at a WAY lesser dose that anything else. It can be overdone like anything else... And Tylenol is rough on the liver. Be aware.

Also X³ for following the doc's/PT's orders/schedule!! They know what they're doing and they've been through this before... You, OTOH, haven't.

Finally, if it gets TOO bad: Pain = Pot! [Call one of your grandchildren... They can probably supply you w/an ounce or a POUND of superior weed!! ]

Jus' sayin'.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #33

Hi Joe-

Glad to hear things went well for you. Let us know how your PT and recovery goes.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Been in quite a bit of pain last night and this morning. Today is my first physical therapy session and I'm definitely not looking forward to it!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #35

Sorry to hear that..........

Gotta stay ahead of the pain. Tough to play catch up

PT will be a bugger at first.

Best wishes.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #36

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
Dont forget ice
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've found over the years that opioids have varying effects on people. My late wife could take half a pill and be knocked out for two days. I took a full pill and barely noticed it. Also some diseases affect it too. I have MS and have found pain killers aren't very effective on me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #38

I was told needed new knew when I had my shoulder replaced.. i opted for the shot in the knee method.. man it works for millions. just like bad backs lots do it instead of drugs. . every three months is there recommendation i can usually go 4 or little more.. i walk in they freeze the spot where injection going with air or canned liquid. then the inject the steroids and lidocaine . in 2 minutes you walk like nothing happened. i have chronic bad back and went to chiropracter for or yrs then just didn't help. then went to pain clinic and they start out low then more n more after ther yrs.. i took opiods for ten yrs.. i quit in '17..

WOW you are the only guy i know went home next day from new knee. i went home same day for scope.. when i had my shoulder done all the knee people were in for 3 or more days.. the advancement in surgery has come long way.. way better than staying eh?
Old 02-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife just went through the same thing: we got to the hospital on Valentine's DAy about 7am, she was wheeled into the OR at 8am, in recovery at 9:15am, and up walking at 10:30am! We actually stopped at Little Caesar's on the way home for a Pretzel Crust Pizza because she was hungry, even though the hospital gave her a meat loaf tray for brunch! Then yesterday the PT guy showed up at the house and checked things out - she's already bending the knee over 90 degrees, and is almost at 180 degrees straightening it! Of course she's in substantial pain, but that to be expected after having your leg cut apart and stapled back together!
Old 02-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #40

Good luck Joe. Last month I had my second knee replaced and I’m “only” 71!
The advice I would give you is generally what others have said. In particular the physio is very important for a good recovery, but don’t try to be macho at home and overdo it; that will cause excess inflammation and swelling, and further pain which will prevent you from sleeping. Take the pain pills as directed: pain is counterproductive for recovery. Also use ice frequently to reduce swelling.
Recovery has been quite quick: After a few days I was able to take showers again, and after 6 weeks my wife started dragging me around the supermarkets. A few more days and I’ll be on the hiking trails!
All the best for the op and your recovery.
Peter
ukdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #41

Knee replacement and water therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
If it is a option look for Physical Therapy that does water therapy!
Doing the exercises in water feels wonderful compared to normal therapy!
Get out of water feeling pain free rather than sore! Walk out get into car and take a nap before driving home! Had both knees replaced at the same time 6 years ago!
I drove to the local pool 6-7 days a week rather than there 3 days of therapy!
Good Luck
I had a partial replacement 6 weeks ago. All went well until my hamstring threw a hissy fit and set off my sciatic nerve. It's getting better, but I can't wait to get back into the pool. I use to go 3 times a week. I'm finally good to go and will be enjoying the pool tomorrow. If you can suggest any special exercises, I'm all ears!

Good luck with your knee, you can do it! I have a trip planned to Hocking Hills in Ohio on early April. Planning on be all good for hiking.
kat940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
All the best to my next door neighbor in Mississippi . In addition to a prayer, I’ll be happy to bring the crawfish etouffee, shrimp creole and boudin from the Best Stop in Scott, LA! That will definitely help in your recovery! Best Wishes from Cajun Country
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote