Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #1

I have been looking into the possibility/feasibility of a small wind genertor at my house of the Air-X variety. They are about $600.

It would be for just a few circuits on an inverter or maybe just for some 12 volt loads such as added 12 volt lights and ham radio. I'm not looking into powering much of the total load of the house (which is monthly from 500 Kwh to 1200 Kwh) but just a fraction of it, with a 200 watt Air-Breeze or 400 watt Air-X.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Air-X turbine, and are you happy with it? I live in a "zone 2" air speed region, so small air units are OK for the amount of wind we get, but we are at the bottom of the acceptable scale for wind speed.

Economically the return on the investment would take years, but windmills and air generators have always interested me. I have lots of land and several unused tall telescoping towers I can use. I would probally use an 80 footer. My big ham tower is 65' to top.

So please respond if you have any knowledge of these "small wind" wind generators.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #2

I have been looking into the possibility/feasibility of a small wind genertor at my house of the Air-X variety. They are about $600.

It would be for just a few circuits on an inverter or maybe just for some 12 volt loads such as added 12 volt lights and ham radio. I'm not looking into powering much of the total load of the house (which is monthly from 500 Kwh to 1200 Kwh) but just a fraction of it, with a 200 watt Air-Breeze or 400 watt Air-X.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Air-X turbine, and are you happy with it? I live in a "zone 2" air speed region, so small air units are OK for the amount of wind we get, but we are at the bottom of the acceptable scale for wind speed.

Economically the return on the investment would take years, but windmills and air generators have always interested me. I have lots of land and several unused tall telescoping towers I can use. I would probally use an 80 footer. My big ham tower is 65' to top.

So please respond if you have any knowledge of these "small wind" wind generators.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #3

I used several wind generators to power solar sites for both commercial and amateur repeaters.

Based on your described use it sounds very feasible. I would suggest a mix of solar panels and the wind generator.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #4

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #5

I applaud you for thinking of this and willing to give it a try.

We really wanted to get one for our RV, but after talking to a few that had them, they both said that with the constant moving we do, they just wouldnt work too well.

Everyone we spoke with just said to add a few more Solar Panels to our 3 we already have, and we would do the same thing.

I know for sure, if we ever stop traveling full time, our next house will have a nice size turbine to generate much of our power.

Let us know what you get and how it works so those of us who want to stop using oil can learn

Pat

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I ran into this outfit while researching Lister diesels.

http://www.hardysolar.com/shop/home.php?cat=49
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #7

Check this link out.

http://www.alpinesurvival.com/rv-solar-power.html

A large variety of mobile wind and solar options.

Enjoy.

MG
Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
http://ata.org.au/wp-content/project...estic_wind.pdf

Here's a PDF on windmills. The web site is http://www.ata.org.au

Windmills at http://www.ata.org.au/about/projects...wind-turbines/
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #9

Keep in mind that the wind load on your tower will probally be greater than the antenna was, so extra bracing may be necessary.