Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #15

I am under taxed, and I feel bad about it. We have a tax structure that is just nuts.

Comparing Bush and Clinton Economies, what a choice, from bad to worse.

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:09 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My niece forwarded this in a email to us........
Quote: TAXES
TAXES
Be sure to read all the way to the end!

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table
At which he's fed.
Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries, then
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his a**!

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers,
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid.

Put these words
upon his tomb,
" Taxes drove me to my doom..."

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges
IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Sales Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax!
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago,
and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class
in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What the **** happened? Can you spell "politicians!"

And I still have to "press 1"
for English.

I hope this goes around THE USA at least 100 times.
------- End of Forwarded Message -------

Old 08-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jayco1:
Now I ask you? Does anyone here feel under taxed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly? Yes, I do!!

The Minnesota House and Senate voted to add 5 cents to the gas tax, so they could devote the money to a backlog of transportation projects -- the DOT has been starved for years, and is still falling behind. I felt at the time that it was the right thing to do -- it had been the same since 1988, and the DOT didn't see any way they could catch up without it.

The governor vetoed it.

Now he's going to "take charge" and see that something gets done about our bridges.

Following is a letter to the editor of the Mpls Star & Tribune --

"As Gov. Tim Pawlenty clearly stated, the demise of the Interstate Hwy. 35W bridge was a catastrophe of the highest magnitude. And so it is. But this disaster should not come as a surprise to him -- or us; it is merely the chickens coming home to roost. In a sense, a self-fulfilling prophecy. A product of low-tax/no-tax attempts by narrow interest groups to persuade our citizens that we can run our government "on the cheap." We can't.
If we want needed services and the quality of life befitting our Minnesota heritage and tradition, it will take resources and support. In short: money and taxes. The I-35 disaster is merely one example of this maxim. Everyone knows that MnDOT's major source of funding is the gasoline tax. That is how we support our roads and bridges. That tax has not been raised since 1988, and is now lower than in most states. But when the Legislature tried to raise it a few cents, the low-tax/no-tax folks lobbied the governor to veto.

Obviously, the governor is not to blame for a bridge failing -- plenty of administrations before him failed as well. But what we do have here is a wake-up call to all caring Minnesotans that narrow, antitax special-interest groups are leading our state down a road of decline. We simply cannot run a progressive, enlightened, competitive state on the cheap.

The bridge tragedy is just one of many examples. This same erosion has taken place in our education system. Recent statewide test scores showed stagnant, and in some cases, decline in our students' reading and math skills. This is a shocking first for a Minnesota traditionally noted for its fine education resources. The message here: You cannot run a 21st-century education system on the cheap.

A similar decline has taken place in our economic status. Recent statistics show a decline in vital areas such as personal income and unemployment rates. This is all contrary to the failed claims made by the governor and his low-tax/no-tax ideologues. What businesses really need and demand in a global economy is a skilled, educated, motivated workforce; easy proximity to leading-edge technology; a quality of life that allows for accessible amenities; a well-developed transportation system, and other similar assets that can help a business grow. If low taxes were a driving force for business development, I would assume Mississippi would be garnering a vast inflow of companies. It is not. The lesson again: You cannot create a vibrant business climate on the cheap.

Finally comes quality of life. As a third-generation Minnesotan, for me this trumps all. And it is not a pleasant picture. My father, my children, my grandchildren all grew up in a state that gave us clean water, clean air, bountiful scenery, a great public education. That is the Minnesota I know and love. And it is in decline. Everything, from our vaunted longevity and health care to our lovely parks and wild areas, needs resources and caring if it is to be maintained. This again means: money. You cannot have a vibrant quality of life on the cheap.

No one "likes" taxes. Nor do I. But the low-tax/no-tax folks play off of this dislike by starving vital government activities, then proclaiming how ineffective and inefficient are government services. It is a calculated, self-inflicted, self-fulfilling prophecy. As concerned citizens who care about our fine state, we must not allow them to sell us this fiction. Indeed, the fact is we are no longer the high-tax state these groups try to characterize us as. Additionally, it is a truism that preventive measures always are cheaper (both in cost and human life) than repairing later damages -- as the I-35 nightmare proves.

Yes, the I-35 bridge disaster is truly a catastrophe of the highest magnitude. With that, Governor, I agree. Indeed, it has gained worldwide attention for its horror. But at the same time it should be a metaphor for future problems yet to come, if we continue to try to run our state on reduced resources, let alone grow it into something even more beautiful for the future.

It cannot be done on the cheap."

Myles Spicer, Minnetonka, is a retired ad agency owner.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
OK, let's talk about the infrastructure for a moment - specifically, roads and bridges. The federal fuel tax was originally instituted as a user fee to fund the federal Highway Trust Fund, and the revenues were to be used to fund highway construction and maintenance. When the Highway Trust Fund was running a surplus, guess what happened? Yep, Congress raided it as well as diverting much of the future federal fuel tax revenues into the general fund. So, are fuel taxes too low, or is the money not being used for what it was intended?

The same thing has happened here in Texas with our state fuel taxes that were intended to fund TxDOT.

Beyond roads and bridges, the same thing has happened to the Social Security trust fund not to mention the federal taxes collected on every airline ticket that were intended to fund our air transport infrastructure.

So, given that track record, is the automatic solution "more taxes"???

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
So, given that track record, is the automatic solution "more taxes"??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is equally glib to say "reduce spending". That money that was diverted was done so maybe/probably because it was needed elsewhere.

Exactly what do you cut out, is the problem. Exactly where do you reduce spending so easily? There's constant pressure from education to raise the level of support. The same is true for environmental issues, etc., etc., etc. What goes?

When you can honestly say that yes, you're willing to have more potholes, less clean air and water, a lesser quality education system, etc., then you're ready for less taxes.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:14 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by journeylad:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
So, given that track record, is the automatic solution "more taxes"??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is equally glib to say "reduce spending". That money that was diverted was done so maybe/probably because it was needed elsewhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nothing "glib" about it. Here in Texas as well as Ohio where we previously lived, the state lottery was instituted by the voters on the premise that all of the revenues collected by the state would go to fund education. These, in both cases, have been diverted to the general fund as well. So, now the politicians come back and say, "We need more taxes to fund education." Is there not a credibility problem here?? I certainly think so.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rusty....the words "creditability" and "politician" are about as far apart as you can get.
Ken
Old 08-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I wonder how much we pay in taxes now. It must be over 50% counting federal,state, sales, gas. When I was working the Clinton tax increase hit me very hard as I was working a lot of overtime and had to pay a lot of taxes for the overtime. It got to where it was not worth me working it. The Democrats say they are going to tax the rich, but the rich have lawyers to help them keep their money and the poor can't pay. So it going to be the middle income that get it again.
Tom
Old 08-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #23
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Please don't add it up, as the total would be very depressing!

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"The Democrats say they are going to tax the rich, but the rich have lawyers to help them keep their money and the poor can't pay."

The 'poor' don't pay one penny in income tax. They, in fact, receive money back to cover sales taxes based on some sort of phoney baloney "earned income credit".

About 90% of federal taxes are paid by the top 10% of workers. And I was never in that category, and I made darn good money!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">About 90% of federal taxes are paid by the top 10% of workers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I don't believe that. If there were some qualifiers like 90% of the income tax, maybe it is OK. There are a lot of taxes from gasoline taxes to cellphone taxes to cigarette taxes that go to the Federal government in addition to the direct taxes like FIT and FICA. The cumulative result of the line items on all of the bills that I get is so depressing, I don't ever want to add it all together again. Ignorance helps me keep what little sanity I have left.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Of course I meant FIT. Here is the breakdown courtesy IRS for the Latest Tax Year as shown on The Rush Limbaugh Home Page. And don't say these are inaccurate because of the source. He is merely posting IRS data.

The top 1% pay 36.98% of the FIT
The top 25% pay 84.6% of the FIT
The top 50% pay 96.7% of the FIT.

By the way. Gas taxes, cigarette taxes and most others are voluntary. If you don't buy gas, you need not pay gas taxes. If you don't smoke, you need not pay cigarette taxes.

I admit it is difficult to live without driving but cigarettes...easy to avoid. Plus you save on your insurance.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
UNDERTAXED????? You've got to be kidding.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Of course if you run into someone that believes (I never FEEL-I believe) he or she is undertaxed, ask them just how much extra they pay every year! They can, you know.