Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does body pH affect your health ?

I don't know....... but I am reading up on this. Kinda makes sense to keep things in balance.

I see that there are pH test strips for human use (pee and saliva) and think I will send away for some. I also have some pool/spa pH strips and will see what's what.

Blood pH is another story, it seems.

OK, anyone out there want to chime in ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Very quickly, my conclusion after many years of research, is that blood ph is indicative of body health. And you cannot change it. Body ph is the result of the body adjusting the blood ph.

My considered opinion is that those who sell you things to "adjust" either are attempting to make money.

Just my opinion.

GL Arnold

Old 03-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #3

I agree and disagree. You can detoxify your system. We take chemicals into our system because our food source is filled with them. Mercury being one of the biggest problems. There are vitamims you can take to rig yourself of them. Did you know that Gatorade has Red Dye 40 in it? That can kill your nervous system. Now some of the stuff people are selling is hocus pocus, but natural vitamins are good for you. JMHO
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Whiskey and water is good also.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
I agree and disagree. You can detoxify your system. We take chemicals into our system because our food source is filled with them. Mercury being one of the biggest problems. There are vitamims you can take to rig yourself of them. Did you know that Gatorade has Red Dye 40 in it? That can kill your nervous system. Now some of the stuff people are selling is hocus pocus, but natural vitamins are good for you. JMHO
Let me elaborate just a bit. The OP was asking about ph levels (blood and pee). My research has shown that the blood ph level can not be manipulated from outside the body. The whole body system is designed to keep that blood ph within a very small range. Nearly all the organs are involved in this balancing act. If you did manage to vary that blood ph a little bit, you would be dead. The organs will work their little hearts out to keep that blood ph within that very narrow range. And in so doing, many things get dumped from the body into that urine stream. Thus, the urine stream can be highly acidic to barely acidic within just a few hours of time, depending on what you eat or drink. Consume too much acid, the body dumps it out. Be very glad.

Now, as to vitamins. I tend to think that isolated vitamins are as useless as synthetic vitamins, whether "natural" or "organic." Just my opinion.

Vitamins contained within foods are useful and helpful. Once they are "isolated," they can no longer be complementary. They work best in combination within their natural foods.

Not wanting to dispute with anyone, just my opinion.

GL Arnold
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Gatorade also contains BVO ... but they plan to remove it after the television doctor outed them:

What Is Brominated Vegetable Oil? All About The Gatorade Ingredient To Be Dropped From The Sports Drink

BVO is a mixture of more or less standard vegetable oil and the element bromine. The addition of bromine increases the density of the vegetable oil, keeping it from rising to the top of a drink.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Whiskey and water is good also.
I'll drink to that. No more Gatorade for me!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #8

Short answer, your body maintains a pH between 7.35-7.45 to allow for normal operation. Many of your body's day to day operations work based on concentration and charge gradients. If your pH is out of this range then skip the pills and go see your doc. You have worse problems than a pill can fix and tests are needed. If you wish to alter this pH then attempt to do so at your own risk. Exercise and diet will do more than any pill could.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
Short answer, your body maintains a pH between 7.35-7.45 to allow for normal operation. Many of your body's day to day operations work based on concentration and charge gradients. If your pH is out of this range then skip the pills and go see your doc. You have worse problems than a pill can fix and tests are needed. If you wish to alter this pH then attempt to do so at your own risk. Exercise and diet will do more than any pill could.
If I understand your earlier posts right, testing urine pH wouldn't be an accurate body-read since it may just reflect the passing off of some substance.

Does one determine body pH by strip-testing the blood, or might a sweat or saliva read be accurate?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #10

A blood test after fasting for at least 12 hours is the only way to get an accurate reading. I can not speak to the accuracy of a strip test. I do know that pH testing with strips in other applications is at best a personal judgement call based on the color seen on the strip. The problem is that results will vary based on the observer, how the strips were stored, where they were stored, and how old they are will directly impact you readings which is why some use a meter in place of test strips. If the strips current, stored properly and easy to read, then they will give you a general idea but I question whether or not it will be sensitive to measure within a tenth of a pH is questionable and that would be what would be required to accurately measure changes in you pH.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm really only interested in comparative results.

My young granddaughter has an intractable case of toenail fungus, and it's a curiosity to me that NO ONE else in the family has ever contracted it, too. I've often wondered if a difference in body pH might explain her vulnerability to this "plant-like" infection, and others' resistance to it.

Believe you me, lack of the infection in the rest of the family can NOT be ascribed to careful hygienic practices...
Old 03-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
About a hundred years ago these advertisers would fall in the category of "Snake Oil Salesmen" and that's where 99% of these products belong. I read a duster a while back where one of the characters was noted as being the healthiest "almost dead guy" ever because of his penchant for taking the then available cures for what ails yuh.

Scotch neat or on really hot days with a little ice cold water will cure what ails yuh too and with just about the same guarantee.