Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Done wth RV net

I may never post on RVNET again, the folks over there are lurking around looking for someone to try and make a fool of, link to my post on RVNET
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Flamingo Everglades

I don't claim that I'm prefect but posting the same on IRV results in positive remarks. This seems to be the general tone over there. I have been involved in many posts on IRV2 that became heated at times without the other party trying to make an ass of you. Bravo IRV2 members.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Hondo, I read your posts on RV.net. I agree many many times ppl there are just rude. I have had more positive expierences here, but I do still read, not post much, but read there.
Also, having first hand knowledge about vendors in National Parks, you are completely RIGHT. It is the vendors responsibility to notify NPS of any situtations, but your responsibility to notify NPS of any deaths. Weird, but true. I would definetly argue with the charges to your cc. ALSO, write a letter to the superintendent of the National Park you were at, explaining what happened w/the vendor, that goes in their record, and does make a huge impact when their contract comes up. I have always had very poitive expierences when I get NPS involved with vendor problems.
Good Luck

Old 03-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't get too upset. One guy who is too old or not old enough with no experience in any thing he speaks of. I would however have contacted the park ranger right away but thats me.

LEN
Old 03-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I wouldn't get too upset. One guy who is too old or not old enough with no experience in any thing he speaks of. I would however have contacted the park ranger right away but thats me.

LEN
In hindsight I should have contacted the Ranger,but I didn't think he was in eminent danger. I knew that with a tandem he could be picked up. When the manager assured me he could be there in a skiff in 20 minutes after I showed him on the map where he was. Also my verizon phone had no coverage, so my ability to contact the rangers was limited.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
I may never post on RVNET again, the folks over there are lurking around looking for someone to try and make a fool of, link to my post on RVNET
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Flamingo Everglades

I don't claim that I'm prefect but posting the same on IRV results in positive remarks. This seems to be the general tone over there. I have been involved in many posts on IRV2 that became heated at times without the other party trying to make an ass of you. Bravo IRV2 members.
Hate to bust your bubble Mike but there are some here that do the same thing. Maybe just trying to be the "Alpa Dog"!!! But I agree. I've been off the RVNET for a long time. This one is a lot better
Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't let one guy, who is, at the least lacking in diplomacy, to drive you away from RVNet. Did you report any of his posts to the administrator?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hondo.. I read the thread.. I can see where you are a tad ticked off.

I will say I am sometimes guilty of not fully reading the thread. before I hit Reply.. but I do at least read the messge I'm replying to.

And occasionally you will catch me saying "Opps" or "I am Sorry" or "I stand corrected"

Alas, not enough people willing to do that.

I too will ask you not to abandond the group.. though you may wish to do an "Ignore" on a poster or two.. I've had to do that in places (I think I may have half a dozen posters in my accumulated kill filters,,,Which considering all the places I post.. is a very small number)
Old 03-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

My total time on that forum is about 30 minutes. Didn't take me long to see that it wasn't a good match for me.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #9

I frequent that other forum, using same handle as I do on this one. Admittedly there's a few bad apples in the bunch, but also many good folks there. I've met several on the forum who I've maintained contact with over the past several years.

Occasionally I will respond to posts on that forum when appropriate but usually always trying to be civil and respect other folks point of view.

Without question this IRV2 forum is far superior to any forum I've frequented when it comes to respect and civility.

Best regards to all,

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Hondo

I think you did all you could do and did it well in a very stressful situation. As far as RVNet, you won't be missing anything there. Moderators there are Kings (in their own minds). Flaming of posters not a member of the kingdom is business as usual. I also quit them a year or so back. Never flamed just didn't like seeing a poster being flamed for asking a question they didn't know the answer to. I do log on to them from time to time and nothing has changed. Oh well. I guess it's my Loss???

In addition dispute the charges with the CC company. 2) get a copy of the contract between NPS and the vendor, (should be public record) it should say in the contract who is responsible for inspecting the vendor's boats for safety. Get a copy of last inspection on boats. If not available why? 3.) Go find a local Coast Guard agency. Have a discussion on the safety of the vendor's boats. See if you can get them to send an expert to inspect.

I'm sure the vendor's contract says you bought a boat if you don't bring it back, but I would think if they are renting unsafe boats, that contract would be void.

Just my 3 cents.

jack
Old 03-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
That type of "contract" does not absolve the kayak company from the responsibility to rent boats which are safe for the conditions in which they will be used.

If you have reported the facts correctly, the person who undertook but failed to rescue your son was extremely irresponsible.

First, no one should ever leave a person requesting help stranded, and if attempts fail or rescue capabilities are not up to it, someone with appropriate rescue assets and capabilities should be alerted. If I were the NPS I'd re-examine procedures and policies with those individuals running the concession, or get someone else who could learn proper safety policies.

Actually, to me the charges on your credit card seemed like an attempt to divert attention and consequently liability from the proprietor's failure to assist your son's distress after you communicated it, as did the highly critical but nonsensical posts.

But so what if someone with very little knowledge panned your valuable post? He was not very convincing, in fact he sounded too uninformed to take seriously, and you probably alerted many other good folks of potential problems with that type of concessionaire...
Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
I frequent that other forum, using same handle as I do on this one. Admittedly there's a few bad apples in the bunch, but also many good folks there. I've met several on the forum who I've maintained contact with over the past several years.

Occasionally I will respond to posts on that forum when appropriate but usually always trying to be civil and respect other folks point of view.

Without question this IRV2 forum is far superior to any forum I've frequented when it comes to respect and civility.

Best regards to all,
Now, please, take this as no disrespect to anyone, but IRV2 is a superior forum, so long as you happen to be a larger Class A/C/5th wheel owner, as the demographic population tends to be made up predominantly of folks from that owners group.

The population make up of folks in the smaller, lower price bracket rigs is markedly smaller than the Open Roads Forums, but, it all comes at a price, you have a smaller, but also more friendly niche group of big rig owners, but less younger folks and mid-range discussion on iRV2 vs a more balanced demographic of all makes/models/income levels on Open Roads, but you also have a higher population of J-As and Mods on a power trip, Around the Campfire being the worst, General RV issues coming in at a close second (Mods on a Power trip).
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #13

I left RV.Net also. They said I would probably just be a lurker, but I got rid of it and don't ever want to go back there. There used to be a trawler board that the regular crew made it so unpleasent, I left that too. I like it here because, while there are disagreement, I have never seen the kind of negative, demeaning, slams that are a regular occurance on the other site.

For me, it was not worth the negativity. Have enough of that in the parts of my life that I can not control. No need to keep something that is negative that I can control.

Thanks for listening.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxmtngirl View Post
Hondo, I read your posts on RV.net. I agree many many times ppl there are just rude. I have had more positive expierences here, but I do still read, not post much, but read there.
Also, having first hand knowledge about vendors in National Parks, you are completely RIGHT. It is the vendors responsibility to notify NPS of any situtations, but your responsibility to notify NPS of any deaths. Weird, but true. I would definetly argue with the charges to your cc. ALSO, write a letter to the superintendent of the National Park you were at, explaining what happened w/the vendor, that goes in their record, and does make a huge impact when their contract comes up. I have always had very poitive expierences when I get NPS involved with vendor problems.
Good Luck
I had a meeting with the assistant Superintendent, went over all the negative aspects of the indecent. There will be some changes made. The vendor has already made some changes in their operation.