Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #85

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried out the call blocking ap on my droid phone and is works great. Anyone that calls and are not in my phone book go direct to voice mail and the phone does not ring. Then I can review the recent calls list and those I like go to the white list, those I don't like go to the black list. Next time those on the black list call they don't even get to go to voice mail. When those on the white list call the phone rings. My phone has been very quite this week. This works very well for us since we do not have a landline phone, only cells. Now if I can only get idiot sister to leave a voice mail.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #86

MLBFAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRHost View Post
My home phone system screens my calls, and automatically greets "800, unknown name, private name" with a message asking for a non-toll free landline to be entered before proceding, and calls not in my dialing list with a message asking the caller to state their name, which gets broadcast over the handsets. If I don't know em, we don't talk right then, they can leave a message.
As for the 2009 ruling, the old list still expired, only the registrants post-09 will be permanent.
What type of home phone system automatically greets "800"+ numbers.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #87
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It seems to work well here in MS. We still get an occasional call but NOTHING like before we signed up! When we get a call we report it to the Public Service Commissioner who builds a case against the company. Many companies have been fined $10,000 for their calls!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #88

Where is the proof in MS that many companies have been fined the 10,000? I cannot find it. I might be looking at wrong agencies here.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #89

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It seems to work well here in MS. We still get an occasional call but NOTHING like before we signed up! When we get a call we report it to the Public Service Commissioner who builds a case against the company. Many companies have been fined $10,000 for their calls!
My phone #s were placed on the DNC list on the first day and I have NOT "renewed"them.

I Political calls are acceptable as are calls from businesses you have had dealings with. That said, I have had 4-5 "unwanted" calls in the last year.

Inconsequential in my view.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #90

If you have a land line and fax software, set it to "Receive Enabled" and "Manual Answer".
When an unknown number pops up on your screen, click the icon to answer and hit them with fax tone.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #91

I just re-registered. Let's see if that helps.

Now, If I could only get the bank to quit calling to give me a low rated than zero %.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #92
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I just re-registered. Let's see if that helps.

Now, If I could only get the bank to quit calling to give me a low rated than zero %.
It's not your bank, even if it's the same name. I have that problem and have talked to my bank about it. They know about it it's apparently an overseas thing.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #93

I don't have the phone off the hook long enough to find out.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #94
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
Where is the proof in MS that many companies have been fined the 10,000? I cannot find it. I might be looking at wrong agencies here.
Not sure, have never seen it in writing. I was told that by a person at the Public Service Commissioner's office.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #95

PSC probably used the word could be fined, not" did get fined. MS has about the same rates of compliance as most other states. I thought maybe MS had a real cure going here, but it's not showing. I guess those off shore calling parties know how to aggravate all of us in most states. Wish I could fine them all, I'd be pretty rich by now.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #96
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
PSC probably used the word could be fined, not" did get fined. MS has about the same rates of compliance as most other states. I thought maybe MS had a real cure going here, but it's not showing. I guess those off shore calling parties know how to aggravate all of us in most states. Wish I could fine them all, I'd be pretty rich by now.

Wayne, I called the N. MS Public Service Commissioner's office yesterday and questioned them about how many companies had been fined. She said that she didn't know the number of companies, but that the fines levied total about 1.4 million dollars. That doesn't mean they have actually collected that much. Anyway, as I said before, we don't get even 5% of the calls we were getting before. I'm satisfied with that progress!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #97

It's almost impossible to determine if something works based on an absence of its effects. A couple of decades ago, some snake-oil salesman was selling "Anti-elephant pills". If you took one every morning it would keep elephants away.

Proof that it worked, he claimed, was that there hadn't been an elelphant sighting in Washington State for over 200 years. The fact that Washington wasn't a state 200 years ago seems to have slipped by.

Maybe the "do not call" system is a bit like elephant pills! Caller i/d lets you ignore callers you can't identify. We use it to identify every caller. It's amazing how many hang up before the answering machine kicks in.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #98
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's working great.

I recently moved and even though my new landline number is unlisted, I was getting up to 5 soliciting calls a day.

After adding my number to the data base the calls dropped off to about 1 a week.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote