Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #43
CD

I got a call yesterday from Card Holder Services ( I get 2/3 calls from them a week on my cell phone). I have reported them to DNC with little if any results. I have taken a different approach. I try to keep them on the line as long as I can. I have found out what they are looking for and played their game. Yesterday I kept the guy on tthe line almost 5 minutes before I told him I was as full of BS as he was and that everything I had told him was bogus and to remove me from their calling list. That's when he hung up. Also, Card Services is a legitimate business. That's where I send my credit card payment if I mail it. I don't think they are making these calls but it is Card Holder Services. I thought it was the same until I looked at the address for my credit card payment.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #44

Gee, I thought Rachel from card member services had a thing for just me. Now I find out she is calling other people. The tramp!!!!!

Between our cell phones and land line we get several calls a week. The cell phones we answer just to disconnect so we don't get a 3 minute message. Never a call from the same number and rarely from the same area code.

The landline is another story. I'm retired and Rachel and her entourage for "Card Member Services" are my catnip.

If a female agent answers I normally ask what she's wearing. Normally it gets an immediate hangup. Drat!!!

The males I drag along as long as I can. 17 minutes is my record. He kept telling me the number I was giving them was incorrect. I kept insisting it was the number right off of my card. Boy did he get frustrated.

I really can't believe anyone is giving them real information. It is widespread common knowledge they are a scam. Out of country, with caller ID spoofing equipment. They have even spoofed the caller ID to look like local business phone numbers.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #45

For those annoying unwanted calls - two responses that might work -
1. Say "could you hold?" - they'll hang up immediately I've been told (have not tried this myself)
2. Say, "This isn't a good time for me, could you give me your home number and I'll call you later tonight."

Those responses should leave them speechless.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #46

Had a couple of calls that came thru on my MJ computer line. I called the number and a person answered. When I started to lay into him, he asked if I had ordered anything over the computer and I said my wife wanted one of those as see on TV items. He was nice and said they buy the numbers and if I did not want to get the calls, never put in the right number when you are ordering.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #47

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff
When congress passed the do not call act a few years back and the registry was established, I was impressed because it seemed that this was something that actually worked. Our junk calls virtually ceased overnight.
In the last year or so I have noticed that scofflaws are blatantly ignoring the law and once again are cold-calling, usually for debt-reduction, interest-reduction scams, only this time they are calling cell phone numbers. I get at least one of these calls a day. (And I have no debt or loans to reduce interest on) I never answer my phone unless I recognize the number and these calls are being left on voice mail.
I am filing complaints but nothing seems to be happening. Anybody noticing the same problem?
When did you sign up? I believe it lasts for five years. If you have doubts on how long it has been, re-register all your numbers. The calls should fall off soon.

Another option is Google Voice (free). You can set it up then screen or indicate do not disturb. Voice mails will go to your email or text. Works well. You can give that number out freely and keep your normal number to contacts you don't mind sharing with.
OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Does anyone have a link to re-sign up for the DNC list. I have also noticed an uptick in calls over the last year.....

Funny story from years ago...When first married (87' - 91') we lived in a trailer park (Mobile-home). I would get all these calls for basement water-proofing. A would says "sure come on out and give me a quote"....Stopped getting calls after awhile....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do NOT Call Link
Your registration will not expire. Telephone numbers placed on the National Do Not Call Registry will remain on it permanently due to the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007, which became law in February 2008.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #50

I have signed up on all the DNC lists, but still get some calls. Of course some non-profit organizations, churches, and businesses with whom you conduct business are all exempt. However, I don't want any solicitation calls from anyone, that is why I got on the DNC lists.
When I get a call I have some fun by immediately interrupting their initial spiel and begin to ask them questions about something they are saying. Asking them why they are calling me, where they are located, how they got my name, silly stuff like that. I continue this type of conversation and will continually interrupt their sales pitch to again start my line of questions. Without fail, within a few minutes they will find some way to get me off the line or simply just hang up. Rarely do I get follow up calls, and it is rather amusing to give them some of their own medicine. Try it and you will probably enjoy it also.
CarlGeo
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #51
CD

I have had the DNC on cell & home phones about as long as it has been available. We very seldom get those calls on the home phone and mostly Card Holder Services on my cell phone. DW doesn't get them on her cell phone so I think the DNC is working pretty good. From what I can find out, Card Holder Services is operating from overseas and spoofing #s. I have gotten a call from 510-215-2112 (Card Holder Services) in the last 6 weeks, 2 in the last week. If you want to play games with them, I have found that they want to hear that you have over $10K in card debt and over 10% interest. They are offering 1to3% interest. It keeps them on the line longer if you are hard of hearing or poor connection and keep them repeating what they say.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of misinformation. The DNC exempted political calls and some others. Before the act, I got 3-4 "unwanted" calls a day. Over the years it has run< 1/week. Now that we are in a political season, the political calls have increased. Now I get 1-2 /week. That is, IMHO, quite acceptable. Oh, also excluded are businesses with whom you do business.

And I do not believe the DNC is only good for 5 years. I signed up the day it began (10-15 years ago?). And it is still working AFAICT.

I have about 1,000,000 other things to complain about than those calls.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #53

That's all fine as long as the companies agree to play. The ones that are causing trouble now are off shore and could care less that there is a DNC list

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #54

this is what I have said,I ask if they have a pencil or pen
and some paper and they said yes then I told them to write
this down don't call this number again it worked for me.
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #55

I have my phone line plugged into my desktop and my fax enabled. When a call comes in, a window pops up the number and if I don't recognize it, I tell the fax to answer. One time I did that and got another call minutes later. It was a fax from a bill collector for a guy with my same name.

My cordless doorbell came with two senders. If I'm not busy, I hit the button and tell the solicitor that someone's at the door and ask them to hold.... forever.

One time I came back and told them it was the police wanting to question me about the murder of a phone solicitor. Click...

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #56

I test companies' privacy policy by using an different middle initial when registering products on-line. I have an Excel spread sheet with who got what initial so when I get junk mail with that initial, I know who sold my info.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote