Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
CD

About 2 weels ago I went to Verizon (my provider) and complained about unwanted calls (I'm on DNC). The first time, they blocked (I don't remember what they called it) but covers most Telemarketers. Then I was getting text messages trying to sell something, so went back. They took my phone and replied to each text with the word "STOP" and sent it. I havent gotten anything since on my cell phone. I've had good luck with the house phone by filing complaints to the DNC. You do need to listen to them so you can tell the DNC what happened such as if it was a computor call and what they said if you get to a "real" person.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I not only do not vote for the politician, I call them or send a polite (i.e. no swear words) nasty email letting them know why I won't vote for them. I punctuate my disatisfaction by telling them that even if politicians are exempt from the DNC, if they cared about their constituency, they would honor it anyway.
Thats a gutsy answer that I like and I will try it.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I not only do not vote for the politician, I call them or send a polite (i.e. no swear words) nasty email letting them know why I won't vote for them. I punctuate my disatisfaction by telling them that even if politicians are exempt from the DNC, if they cared about their constituency, they would honor it anyway.
The thing that strikes me about politicians using this medium to campaign is that it just reinforces how out of touch they are with Joe Public. I mean really, who actually takes the time to listen to a recorded political message? Seriously, one would have to be one bored, lonely individual to sit through some candidate blahblahblahing about how you should vote for them.
This is 2011, not 1968 for crying out loud.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #18

We've been getting calls from "Cardmember services". They seem to have figured out how to get around the DNC list. Every time they call it's a different number - they must have some caller i/d spoofing system.

In Washington State, you have to file a complaint with the stae Attorney General's office (don't know if it's the same in other states). The complaint form requires you to provide the phone number of the caller and gives the impression that you have to have received multiple calls.

We only switch our cell phone on when we want to call someone, except when we're on the road. Haven't had any telemarketing calls on that number (yet!)
Old 10-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #19

I have reported #757-302-9016 they call my business 4 to 5 times a day wanting to update there records they keep calling no help from phone Company or donotcall
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are on the DNC list but like others get some calls. I do not ignore or hang up on them. That gets the caller off the line and on to bother someone else. Instead I tell the caller they need to talk to Mr. Table. Mr. Table is right above Mr. Rug. I then set the phone on Mr. Table and let the caller wait long enough to figure out Mr. Table doesn't talk much. This wastes their time and I still don't have to talk to them.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am getting a lot of the spam calls again even though I am on the DNC list form its origination. here is the way I settle them with the caller.
First i get a recording telling me to push 1 to speak to a real person
I push one and wait. When the real person comes on the line i inform them that i am on the DNC list and then i take my ''signaling horn'' that is powered by a large can of C.O.2 and can be heard three counties from here, i put it to the phone just after saying... ''Please stand by'' very low into the phone so they will turn up their volume on their end. and then I BLOW THE C.O.2 HORN into the phone for three seconds .... Usually they dont call back.

I have yet to have a ''repeat'' call from a telemarketer...

Tks vets for our freedom of speech......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #22
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
I have reported #757-302-9016 they call my business 4 to 5 times a day wanting to update there records they keep calling no help from phone Company or donotcall
Do you answer the call? I think that is important when you complain to DNC. (I know, you have time to answer these calls while trying to do business). Record the Phone#, date, time, and who you talked to and what happened 2 or 3 times and report that to DNC. It has worked for me.
I was told recently about this person's grandmother that is a widow (with more time than most of us RVers) that keeps a log of these calls by her phone and gets all the info she can. When she gets a second call, she says "yes we talked on (date & time) now I want to talk to your superviser". He said she has settled for thousands of dollars. Once was new sidding on her house valued at $20K.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
One nasty sneaky trick we discovered this past year on DH's cell (rarely used) is text messages that sign you up for some bogus "service" for $9.99/mo unless you opt out by texting STOP back to the originating number. His cell phone provider happily billed us for 3 of these ridiculous "services" - apparently this is more-or-less legal.

He got several more of these texts on his number over the next month or two, then they finally petered out, but we still monitor his pnone.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #24

1st, a significant number of these spam calls come from overseas and could care less about our DNC list, so you're out of luck there. There are features on various carriers that require a PIN to ring through, or at least a real number on caller ID. No number, no ringgie. Vonage can work this way if you choose.

2- These people don't dial anyone, it's done by computer and held in cue until you pickup the phone and there is voice detected (hello?), then it's routed to an "agent", that's why there is often a delay or you are saying 'Hello' twice. SO, if there is a CID number I don't recognize, they have one shot to quickly respond after I say 'hello', and 95% of the time I've hung up before the computer can find an agent to forward the call to.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
We've been getting calls from "Cardmember services". They seem to have figured out how to get around the DNC list. Every time they call it's a different number - they must have some caller i/d spoofing system.
You hit the nail on the head. There was a report out recently on the news that telemarketers were spoofing the caller ID systems to show CARDMEMBER SERVICES or some other number that can't be traced back to them.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #26
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
1st, a significant number of these spam calls come from overseas and could care less about our DNC list, so you're out of luck there. There are features on various carriers that require a PIN to ring through, or at least a real number on caller ID. No number, no ringgie. Vonage can work this way if you choose.

2- These people don't dial anyone, it's done by computer and held in cue until you pickup the phone and there is voice detected (hello?), then it's routed to an "agent", that's why there is often a delay or you are saying 'Hello' twice. SO, if there is a CID number I don't recognize, they have one shot to quickly respond after I say 'hello', and 95% of the time I've hung up before the computer can find an agent to forward the call to.
Yup, they have 1 second to say something, then I hang up. If the caller ID says toll-free they can leave a message.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The law you cited is Title 47 Section 227, Same titled "Restrictions on Telephone Use"

Check it out... you see the "Teeth" in the law is your ability to sue the caller who violates the DO NOT CALL for 500/call, and the judge can triple that if he wishes.

And if anyone knows of a lawyer who will take such cases on speculation.. I have one caller who owes me over six grand straight, 18 if trippled.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #28

I remembered something interesting about that "Cardmember Services" outfit that I forgot to mention in my earlier post. I looked back through my caller i/d list and called the last one that I recognised as theirs. It had been about 4 hours since they called.

To my surprise, I got a recorded message that said "Thank you for calling back. If you would like us to stop calling, press 1 now". I did so, and they haven't called again since.