Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Notify one of the veteran motorcycle clubs.

I stated that because the U.S. Flag Code is a voluntary guideline and does not provide any enforcement. So a veterans organization may be able to contact that person and ask the "politely" to voluntarily abide by the U.S. Flag Code. The first thing I would ask is if he truly is a patriot.
Now there is an idea! I'll have to look into it later. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Great flag waving, Seajay!
To bad there are some that don't appreciate it.

Flyboy (ANG/AF) 1956-1962

SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I sure miss Seajay. Kinda nice to see one of his posts come back around. I still get his emails but miss his posts.

LadyFitz, I agree with the others, try notifying a local veterans group. California does have a flag protection law which makes his actions a misdemeanor.

Unfortunately the Flag Desecration Amendment failed to pass some years ago, 2006 I think. In my Navy days I visited countries where you didn't dare touch their flag. Sadly thats not the case here.

Disrespecting our flag is a huge pet peeve for me. In my younger days I meet a hippie at a show wearing the flag like a cape. I asked him to remove it and then explained why, when he refused I educated him on proper flag etiquette the nice sheriff was almost apologetic while taking me to jail.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz...
There is a jerk (I'm choosing my words carefully here) down the street from some friends of mine in San Marcos, CA who is flying a very tattered U.S. flag upside down at half mast under the Tea Party's Don't Tread on Me flag. Lessee, what laws is he violating?

1. Flying the flag upside down when not in physical danger.
2. Flying the flag in bad condition.
3. Unauthorized flying of the flag at half mast.
4. Flying the flag under another flag on U.S. soil.
5. Flying the flag at night without illumination.
6. Flying the flag in inclement weather.

While I agree with the disrespectful idiot that our country is in distress, it does NOT justify disrespecting my flag! I would have confronted the sorry piece of work but I do not want to cause any trouble for my friends. I would notify the police but, unfortunately, San Marcos contracts its police protection with the San Diego County Sheriff's Dept. and they are worthless as sugar on fertilizer, mostly due to being overworked and understaffed. I seethe everytime I walk or drive by.
I'm not one to make trouble, but I absolutely would take hat flag down and properly dispose of it. My son's scout troop handles that periodically.

The tattered icould handle.
Upsde down, I see red.

And where the heck is my brother seejay?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #19

YOU cannot make me respect the flag, I do so because I want to. YOU cannot make me say the pledge of allegence, I do so because I chose to. YOU cannot come on my property and force me to fly my country's flag properly, I do so because I love my country. YOU will not violate my right to free speech and expression. I will defend YOUR right to these.

I've never been in the military but I'm a patriot.

I'd stand with that old sailor and we'd talk about my Dad - a blue water sailor and the flag he loved and fought for, but, like my Dad, I'd never force anyone to prove they are a patriot.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No one would be forcing YOU to do anything.

So how would you stop 50 plus people showing up to take down that disrespectful display.

Except for the part of flying properly, I agree with everything you have said.

The flag is a symbol of our heritage. How we became the great nation that we are under that flag. There are United States codes on the proper displaying of the flag that this Nation upholds. Flying it improperly is disrespectful to this Nation. To anyone that would disrespect or desecrate our Flag, well, maybe they should look for another country to live in. The Flag, and all it stands for, is why you can defend your rights.

Flying the flag upside down is a distress signal. Not a distress signal because you don't like the politics of a Government, but a distress signal for a life threatening situation. Maybe someone should call an emergency response team and report that address as being in distress, and when the authorities arrive, they should bill the individual in monetary value for the time consumed for his/their idiotic behavior.

How many reading this thread have actual read the U.S. Flag Code.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #21

Wayne, I have. I haven't served but wholeheartedly salute, support & respect all who have. We are a special nation, a special people. The flag represents all of that and more. Don't 'dis our flag!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freedom of speech grants you the right to speak out against the government without fear of reprisal. I will never believe that freedom of speech extends to disrespecting every american who served, fought and died to protect that right and others. Makes you wonder if anyone in the ACLU ever served or wore a uniform.

I fly the Gadsden flag as well but would never in my wildest dreams fly it above American flag. Never on US soil should the American flag be subordinate to any other flag.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #23

U.S.A. Flag rules and regulations for those who wish to refresh their memory and knowledge.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #24

Seajay, You have done well. Thank you.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
The flag is a symbol of our heritage. How we became the great nation that we are under that flag. There are United States codes on the proper displaying of the flag that this Nation upholds. Flying it improperly is disrespectful to this Nation. To anyone that would disrespect or desecrate our Flag, well, maybe they should look for another country to live in. The Flag, and all it stands for, is why you can defend your rights.
Please don't send any more pot puffin, hippy freaks to Canada. We already have more than our fair share of these nincompoops already and don't need any more.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While this guy is obviously an idiot as well as many others who fly the flag in tattered condition, I was made aware of a situation that has caused me to rethink my knee jerk reaction to a tattered flag. A guy in Georgia had a flag that was fairly tattered and some well meaning folks were going to "fix" it for him. Turns out that he put up a flag when his son deployed and told the son that it would fly there until the son returned. There are at least two sides to every story. Maybe this guy just needs to find another outlet to more properly address his distress with the current situation.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #27

iRV2 No Limits Club
If it was just a tattered flag, I wouldn't be as upset. But to fly it upside down under another flag is just wrong and it's pretty obvious what the jerk means by it. We have rights in this country but they infringe on other people's rights, they become wrong. And no one has the right to disrespect the symbol of what so many women and men have fought, died and been maimed for, not to mention the sacrifices their families had to make.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
LadyFitz, we haven't often agreed in the past but you are so spot on on this topic. Your posts in this thread have been well stated.