Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dont insult my Colors

As promised I went up to exit 125 on I-40 here in Hickory to honor our dead that died on 9/11/01. I took my folding chair, my big flag, my PVC pipe, my rope and a sack of water bottles and a hand towel. I walked out on the overpass, sat up the chair, carefully leaned Old Glory against the bridge railing, sat my sack of water bottles in the chair, broke out my rope and using genuine Navy type Sailor knots (that will not slip but are easy to untie) I tied my PVC pipe to the guard rail on the bridge. I do this so I can set my flag in the PVC pipe when my arms get tired from holding and waving the flag. Mind you this is a BIG FLAG. This flag draped my dads casket and I am proud to fly it on special occasions like this. My Flag is furled on a extendable pole off of a tree branch trimmer and it works like a charm. I got all my ''stuff'' together and unfurled My Colors and started waving it for the traffic to see. Folks down on I-40 reacted immediately and the traffic on the bridge was happy to toot and recognize the Colors also. I got there something before noon and the day was nice but it was kinda hot so I would have to stop and drink some water occasionally. To do this I would slide the flag staff down in the PVC pipe and hold the ''tag line'' tied to the center of the flag pole to keep in check the flag for those sudden gusts of wind that happen by. I would wave the flag and then sit and rest my arms with the flag in the PVC pipe. I can not tell you how good it makes me feel to see people wave and salute the Colors as they pass. The big trucks down on the interstate just ''hang on the horns'' when they see the Colors. I was very proud and very happy and my day was going good but my arms just don't last like they use to doing this. (must be getting old I guess) When I stand and wave the colors I watch the peoples faces as they pass me on the bridge. Many smiles and high signs, many pretty girls waving and throwing kisses sometimes. One lady stopped and gave me two more bottles of really cold water and said ''Thank you for your service sir''. (how the heck did she know I had been a Sailor?) Things were going great, I was showing the Colors and getting all kinds of recognition from it and really having a good time because I had taken a ''pain pill'' and my arms were hurting less and less and my legs were doin' good also.
It should be understood that the bridge I was standing on has three lanes going north. Two lanes are for thru traffic and the extreme right lane is a turn lane that takes you down on I-40 East bound after you go around a clover leaf.
There were three cars easing over into the right turn lane and I noticed the last car kinda hanging back from the other two. He deliberately slowed down as he approached me. The first two cars waved and saluted the Colors and the last guy that was ''hanging back'' [moderator edit] I read his lips as he said [moderator edit] He did this while he was still about 15 feet in front of me and I know that is what he said. I immediately jammed the flag staff into the PVC pipe and went ballistic. I immediately flipped over into ''Sailor Language'' and in a very loud voice as he passed me with his window down I made reference to his heritage, his mother, his sister, [moderator edit] and I invited him to pull over and I would teach him some manners. I did all this on one breath and never repeated myself in my tirade. He went up and made his right turn for the clover leaf down to I-40 east bound. I watched him as he was going kinda slow so I stepped forward to be sure he could hear me down on the interstate and again went thru a selected grouping of ''Sailor Talk'' using it well and not repeating any phrases or combination of words and I was shaking my fist at this person all the while. He [moderator edit] said something back but a semi drowned it out. I was very much upset as I stood there leaning on the railing of the bridge. I turned around to retrieve my Colors and guess what ... Yep, a very large police officer was stand maybe a two feet behind me, his cruiser in the turn lane with the blues flashing.
OOOOOPS....
''Are you ok sir?''
''Uhhhhhhh, yep, just a little bit upset concerning a comment a guy made about my Flag sir''.
''You really need to control your voice sir, I heard you when I started across the bridge back at the light. Seems you were very angry at the man in the dark car....... Right?'' ''It has been a while since I have heard profanity like you were using toward him. Let me guess......... You were a Sailor because ''ground ponders'' dont know that variety of cuss words and ''fly boys'' will get spanked if they talk like that and ''jarheads'' dont know that many words and dont have the syntactic ability necessary for good sentence structure, so you must have been a Sailor''........''right''?????
''Am I in trouble officer?''
''Well, I could run you in for disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace or yelling more cuss words than I have ever heard yelled without you repeating yourself but I will let you off with a warning for this time if you promise not to do it again''..........

''Done and Done again officer. No more problems from this ''Old Salt'' sir.''

He left and I retrieved my flag and managed to hang on for about an hour more and then my pain pill wore out and I was running low on water and my leg were killing me. I got my ''stuff'' together and went back to the car and came home... While riding home I thought about what had happened on the bridge and I thanked God that I did not have ''Mr S&W'' with me when that clown insulted my Colors cause I might be typing in striped sunshine now.
Let us never forget 9/11. Let us never forget who did this awful thing to this great nation and NEVER FORGET that some can not be appeased regardless of out good intent.
Nuff said for now.... (I feel the ''delete button'' being hovered over)

Thank a Veteran for your freedoms... Some bought them with their life...... think about it.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Semper Fi.......good for you.

"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I sure wish I knew what those edited word were.

isn't it strange that a person can be walking down the street and a group of passerby's can be talking with profanity linked in and there is nothing anyone can do about it. In that case it is considered "Freedom Of Speech" which I and many other have fought for, and are fighting for. Is there any form of word that people have "not" heard?

I know lots of people. People who are religious, yet in their daily speech I have heard them say those same "forbidden" words.

Isn't there something about casting the first stone.

I don't think I need to go on and on.

If anyone reading this takes it personally, it is definitely not intended for any one person or group of persons. It is a generally speaking post.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Seajay, I admire your spunk, don't condone the language, but defend your right to use it! I too love our flag and will be forever grateful to you and others like you that have defended it, some unto death. Carry on, my friend!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ah SeaJay: You just need to sound GQ (I saw that in a movie once) and all the IRV Vets would be following Wayne the Marine to cover your back.
Speaking for my Wife and myself you make us proud how you honor our Country and those who served.
Have you ever considered purchasing a LAW on the black market before 09/11/12???
Old 09-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Good for you, sir. I admire your spunk. A lady Marine here. I had an ex-Navy boyfriend once, I know all those cuss words. Nobody disses the colors around me. I don't cuss, but I can get my point across.
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And my wife is a former Marine. So be careful.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
totally sympathize Seajay. No one disrespects the flag.

Went to concert once and saw some POS using the flag like shawl/blanket. Politely (honestly) asked him to remove it, he then made the mistake of asking so what ya gonna do if I don't. Well if a picture is worth a 1000 words a demonstration must be worth 100,000.

Was a bit worried that the DW was going to be pissed when she had to bail me out, But she was ok with it all god love her. Mind you i was in my 30s then.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #9

God love all of you ! Might have had an attitude in the late 60's but enlisted and will always respect our flag (Old Glory and the Red White and Blue) and all it stands for.
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All I can say.. If you don't admire the Red, White and Blue, move, to Korea or China or .. Well any of those places where factories are flocking because workers get pennies a day for 20 hour days.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a jerk (I'm choosing my words carefully here) down the street from some friends of mine in San Marcos, CA who is flying a very tattered U.S. flag upside down at half mast under the Tea Party's Don't Tread on Me flag. Lessee, what laws is he violating?

1. Flying the flag upside down when not in physical danger.
2. Flying the flag in bad condition.
3. Unauthorized flying of the flag at half mast.
4. Flying the flag under another flag on U.S. soil.
5. Flying the flag at night without illumination.
6. Flying the flag in inclement weather.

While I agree with the disrespectful idiot that our country is in distress, it does NOT justify disrespecting my flag! I would have confronted the sorry piece of work but I do not want to cause any trouble for my friends. I would notify the police but, unfortunately, San Marcos contracts its police protection with the San Diego County Sheriff's Dept. and they are worthless as sugar on fertilizer, mostly due to being overworked and understaffed. I seethe everytime I walk or drive by.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Notify one of the veteran motorcycle clubs.

I stated that because the U.S. Flag Code is a voluntary guideline and does not provide any enforcement. So a veterans organization may be able to contact that person and ask the "politely" to voluntarily abide by the U.S. Flag Code. The first thing I would ask is if he truly is a patriot.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
There is a jerk (I'm choosing my words carefully here) down the street from some friends of mine in San Marcos, CA who is flying a very tattered U.S. flag upside down at half mast under the Tea Party's Don't Tread on Me flag. Lessee, what laws is he violating?

1. Flying the flag upside down when not in physical danger.
2. Flying the flag in bad condition.
3. Unauthorized flying of the flag at half mast.
4. Flying the flag under another flag on U.S. soil.
5. Flying the flag at night without illumination.
6. Flying the flag in inclement weather.

While I agree with the disrespectful idiot that our country is in distress, it does NOT justify disrespecting my flag! I would have confronted the sorry piece of work but I do not want to cause any trouble for my friends. I would notify the police but, unfortunately, San Marcos contracts its police protection with the San Diego County Sheriff's Dept. and they are worthless as sugar on fertilizer, mostly due to being overworked and understaffed. I seethe everytime I walk or drive by.

Do you think he is snart enough to know what he is doing? Maybee a flyer placed in his mail box will help educate him. May be a couple of pages out of the Boy Scout Book. Just ideas to pass along
Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
Do you think he is snart enough to know what he is doing? Maybee a flyer placed in his mail box will help educate him. May be a couple of pages out of the Boy Scout Book. Just ideas to pass along
I'm sure the clown knows quite well what he is doing.