Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Wasn't being born a bozo once enough?
Not with these two. You have to live here to understand.

Too hard to explain to a non valley person.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
The problems with using an RV as an "Escape Pod" will be many! You can't cross Rivers , Lakes or Oceans as the Roads will end where the Bridges collapse. If there is no fuel it isn't going to travel far anyway.

A Better choice if you Live on the Coast might be a Sail Boat! It would have to survive the Explosion and any Tidal Waves of course.

Don't You ever watch "The World Without People"? Not much Hope I'm afraid!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Most of these wingnuts are convinced we are decending into a permanent state of lawlessness and societal chaos.
Because they have nothing better to do with their time.

Quote:
I would think that the best use of your resources to survive/deal with disasters, storms, etc, where basic services are unavailable is your RV. Hunkering down in a fixed place is kinda putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. I mean, if your bunker is flooded, then all your supplies are gone and you are screwed! Much better to keep your RV ready to go and hit the road to a safe place if need be, right?
You better make sure you hoard plenty of gas if you plan to "bug out." There probably wont be any gas stations open if that day ever comes.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
You talking to me?!

As others have said, the lucky ones will be the ones who die first. If you're well prepared with lots of survival supplies, you'll be killed for them.
I would think anyone with any sense at all would keep quiet about their stash of food and supplies. But it seems the people into this survivalist/prepper movement can't seem to stop talking about it. I would think that's the worst thing to do if you don't want people coming to your home or farmette when they're starving and want your hoard of goodies.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #33
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Please, please tell me that it will not be the end of the Internet!

All my friends live here.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

I figure we need several thousand miles of string and a couple of tin cans and that way we can stay in touch and remain environmentally sensitive.

I could be your only friend then ......
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
The problems with using an RV as an "Escape Pod" will be many! You can't cross Rivers , Lakes or Oceans as the Roads will end where the Bridges collapse. If there is no fuel it isn't going to travel far anyway.

A Better choice if you Live on the Coast might be a Sail Boat! It would have to survive the Explosion and any Tidal Waves of course.

Don't You ever watch "The World Without People"? Not much Hope I'm afraid!
Not true... First there was once a movie, I forget what it was called but it's an "After the war" movie, I think Tornado Alley may have been it's name.. A group of military types who were in a bunker when the balloon went up survive and take off in a Mil-Spec RV to search for fellow survivors.

They did cross rivers, and such.

Of corse that RV is fiction.

The Terra Hydra.. Is not. It too can cross rivers, lakes and such.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Can the "Terra Hydra" traverse an entire city whose streets are plugged with cars/trucks/what have you, all of which have run out of gas and been abandoned?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

The internet is like roaches!
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
The internet is like roaches!
How so?

Is it hard to light if you drop it in the john?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The key I think, is to think like a survivor, eliminate the defeatist attitude, don't just give up. Life is too precious to just give up and go out in the first wave.

As Dylan Thomas wrote "Do not go gentle into that good night"

Be prepared, learn to adapt and overcome.

Survive if for no other reason than to be there for your family, children, grandchildren, etc...

Humans survived for hundreds of years before the discovery of oil and the establishment of trading posts. If your plan involves the MH think of it as a shelter rather than a mode of transportation. Without fuel you still have the option to walk, ride a bike, ride a horse, etc... You can hunt for food, plant a garden. There are better options than giving up.

I don't have bunker but I am pretty well stocked, including BOBs, not necessarily for the apocalypse, but for natural disasters.

I don't understand the give up mentality, I will break my toys before I quit.

At 54, I doubt the apocalypse will come in my lifetime, if it does, it does.

In the mean time I will be working on the boat/airplane conversion for the RV.

This of course assumes we are all here on the 22nd
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
On a slightly different, but somewhat related, subject there is a show they play once and awhile on PBS called "Alone In the Wilderness". This guy moves to Alaska and builds a cabin all by himself with hand tools. He really knows his stuff. I have it recorded and we watch it at the campground when it rains. I wish I owned the full DVD of it but, it's always so expensive. Anyway, if it all comes to a end I want a guy like that around.
That guy is my HERO, the guts it took to undertake that adventure, he must have been a very self confident person
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #41

AH, I see the good 'ol "Normalcy Bias" is still alive and well!

That's the comfortable assumption and belief that if one hasn't SEEN or EXPERIENCED a certain thing, it surely doesn't exist - or CAN'T happen...

You know - like the Biblical flood, the Holocast, and many large-scale catastrophic natural events like Tsunamis, floods and earthquake - also large scale collapses of nations such as the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia - and others...

I can certainly assure you, the steadily, DAILY deterioration of national and world-wide political, economic, and social events can and WILL create instability and upheaval in proportions unseen on so large a scale in past history. To deny that possibility and likelihood in the face of daily news events is just that - living in denial of what is clearly happening all around us!

SO, SOME are preparing - the WORSE that can happen to them, is that they will have provided extra food and lodging that is very usable - but maybe unneeded (sorta like that RV?)

BUT, if some of us are RIGHT, we'll be all cozy INSIDE the Ark, while the "smart and educated folks" OUTSIDE in the rain and rising waters of anarchy, are pounding on the doors wanting INTO the very shelter they so smugly and humorously ridiculed so short a time before!

But too late!

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
BUT, if some of us are RIGHT, we'll be all cozy INSIDE the Ark, while the "smart and educated folks" OUTSIDE in the rain and rising waters of anarchy, are pounding on the doors wanting INTO the very shelter they so smugly and humorously ridiculed so short a time before!

But too late!

Hey!

I saw that Twilight Zone episode, too!