Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
down to the wire..

we (the Dw and I) are getting down to the wants, as well as comments from my neighborsire...
our HOA doesn't allow parking motorhomes long term.

i'm pretty convinced from her endless bitchy statements, that it is she who doesn't want our motorhome parked in my driveway.

as broke as we are, i do not understand her comments.

i personally feel if any of my neighbors object to my chosen use of my property, they can just go and pound sand...

i just dont have no money for this crap....
if SHE don't want her motorhome parked in our driveway...

i'm not sure where to go...
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

I don't understand what you're talking about. Who doesn't want the RV in the driveway? Your wife or the HOA?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #3

If you live in a community with a HOA that does not allow RV's to be parked
in your driveway or on your property or live in a city that does not allow the
parking of said RV on your property......you do not have a choice other than
to store it elsewhere. Most HOA's or cities that have any rules on RV's do
allow for 24 to 48 hrs before and after trips to load and unload.

So please explain to us what your problem is? If it is just a bitchy neighbor
and not HOA or city rules, then yes she can just pound sand, but if it is a
rule in the CC&R's of a HOA or a city rule then you will need to find other
storage for your RV elsewhere.

I've lived other places that do have HOA rules on RV's, now I do not live
in such a place.
Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #4

Once you've lived in a hoa neighborhood, you'll make sure your next neighborhood isn't as restrictive.
24hrs M-F and weekends are generally common for hoa's but find the bylaws and read them before agreeing to buy that house.

I have a friendly (not!) neighbor but I know my rights and we get along just fine. If not, join the board. Lol
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunysz513 View Post
Once you've lived in a hoa neighborhood, you'll make sure your next neighborhood isn't as restrictive.
l
Not universally true. We just bought a stick house last year and intentionally sought out one with a "restrictive" HOA so we could live in an environment with like minded individuals who share our values, and not have to deal with four families crammed into the house next door with cars parked on the lawn... and yes, RVs stored in the driveways.

Just different strokes.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The HOA has the right to restrict almost everything, even house color and flag flying. If your HOA restricts RV parking you have a few choices:
1. Store it elsewhere
2. Store it elsewhere till you get the rules changed.
3. Sell and move.

Our covenants said we could park RV's behind the front line of the garage and luckily we have room up to about 50', we're at 41'. The covenants ran for 20 years unless renewed, they were never renewed. Wouldn't even allow rental houses, had to be owner occupied, which was nice as we have some rental houses now and they aren't kept up very well.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Not universally true. We just bought a stick house last year and intentionally sought out one with a "restrictive" HOA so we could live in an environment with like minded individuals who share our values, and not have to deal with four families crammed into the house next door with cars parked on the lawn... and yes, RVs stored in the driveways.

Just different strokes.

Rick
Since when are all non-HOA homes to be found in such areas? Stay out of the low-income and welfare non-HOA areas and you will find nice homes in goodneighborhoods and no HOAs. You looked in the wrong neighborhoods.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Since when are all non-HOA homes to be found in such areas? Stay out of the low-income and welfare non-HOA areas and you will find nice homes in goodneighborhoods and no HOAs. You looked in the wrong neighborhoods.
Not sure what you mean, but I certainly did not imply ANYTHING about "all" homes, HOA or otherwise. I assume you misread my post.

We looked in exactly the right neighborhood and couldn't be happier with our home, our neighbors, and our environment. We also rest easier with HOA restrictions that eventually carry the force of law, to ensure that the neighborhood doesn't change. Certainly not for everyone, but it works for us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I'm with you Rick. I don't want to live in a neighborhood where my neighbor might have a couple of cars on blocks in the front yard or paint his house pink.

To the OP. Did you read the HOA documents BEFORE you bought? As a HOA board president, I can almost guarantee that people that buy into a HOA never read the rules until after signing on the dotted line. Then the whine starts.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had problems with town municipalities as well. Some towns/cities won't even let you park your motorhome in your yard for more than a few days ... although our problem was more that we were bookdocking it in our yard while we were helping our kid and their new baby. We have some terrible neighbors that complained that we were living in the motorhome and we got a visit from the inspector.

His words .. "we never hear about these things unless someone complains, we have better things to do". We explained our situation to him and got a waiver for a couple of months.

But now we're back at our country place - no real neighbors to speak of or to complain. Here, we use the motorhome as our guest room since the 3 bedrooms here are all spoken for.

Hey Jim, if you find you need a place to store it, we have plenty of room here ... That DP Monaco is a nice unit - just make sure you leave the keys so we can "ahem" start it up and make sure the tires are in good running order once in a while.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
we (the Dw and I) are getting down to the wants, as well as comments from my neighborsire...
our HOA doesn't allow parking motorhomes long term.

i'm pretty convinced from her endless bitchy statements, that it is she who doesn't want our motorhome parked in my driveway.

as broke as we are, i do not understand her comments.

i personally feel if any of my neighbors object to my chosen use of my property, they can just go and pound sand...

i just dont have no money for this crap....
if SHE don't want her motorhome parked in our driveway...

i'm not sure where to go...
I'm not sure I understand the problem. HOAs are there to keep home values up by imposing certain restrictions. If you knew this, but can't afford to park your MH elsewhere, sounds like you should not have purchased a MH.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #12

HOA's as well as "Deed Restricted" areas need to be researched throughly BEFORE you invest. That means reading the by laws that are in place and not taking someones word. I asked a realtor if the home I was looking at was in either of these restrictions and of her reply was nooooooooo you can have a motorhome here. Which was not true.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #13

When I lived in a condo where the existing board took care of their own needs first and gave me a hassle with having my dog in my own backyard (rule was must be under control at all times - their interpretation was that meant it couldn.t step on the grass in my backyard and had to stay on the patio). I and a group of others got elected to the board and eventually ousted the old members. Result being a more congenial community and my dog got to walk on the grass in my backyard. Other pet owners were being pushed also and were glad for the reprieve. No one moved out because of us and general improvements were made to the property because of us. And actually, we managed to lower the monthly operating costs.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just went through the same situation and researched the HOA rules & regulations. Guess what? There was nothing in their rules & regulations about the motorhome, and not being parked at my residence. I even went a step further and researched the local codes. Local codes did have some restrictions, which I complied with, but my compliance was not good enough for someone in my neighborhood. I was having daily conversations with the local patrolman [who was very nice & considerate]. But it started to become a pain in the butt for him & me. The policeman had to follow up on the complaints, no matter that he knew I was in compliance.

Bottom line, I simply rent a storage space a few miles away, but bring it home for a few days at a time [when we're not on the road], just BECAUSE I CAN!!!