Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #15

Hey, I can LIVE on $2400 a month! Send it to me instead of pouring it into the "business"; you won't be any worse off, and I won't have to worry about losing my job .

1998 Alumascape 30RLS FW
LibbyLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, you guys r something. Thanks to everyone who had something to say (so far). holy cow 2 pages in 2 1/2 hours!
Too bad that tiny keyboard limited how much sense I could make?

It's my wife's business that loses $2400 a month, which is the payment on her studio that she has never made.
That building is currently for sale, not a single looker yet, and we are perhaps $50k upside down when/if it does sell.
She is ready/willing to pull her shingle down, disturbs her not to get paid for all her work too.

Our house is for sale too, for $200k less than it cost to build, and $200k more than it is worth these days.

My business is the one going down the tubes, and the one that just lost an 80k annual contract.

I am just sick of it. Sick of having to earn $30,000 a month "profit" just to break even.
Sick of walking past my "office manager" to see her cruising facebook and msn 5 hours a day...

Mostly just sick of being responsible for so many...
Wife... ok, not a problem there, 'cept she's really not into fulltiming in the rv.
22 yo son, just got out of prison (a week ago, see other thread)
19 yo son, plays video games... a lot. took 4 jr college classes last year, got zero credits. been looking for a job unsuccessfully for 4 years.
13 yo son. cute as a button, just starting to get that teen aged mounth on him!
52 yo brother in law, worked for me for 20 years...
his wife, never had to work.
his daugther and her bf, came home from california recently, she quit a job, he quit college, both moved to BIL's house.
Office manager Deb, went to HS with wife, family friend longer than forever.
Her husband, one legged unemployed electrician, out of work over 2 years, on the verge of losing thier house...

Damn it sounds good to just drive that fancy bus into the sunset.

Shortly after I made the original post, I called the wife, suggested we go camping this weekend. She's all for it. Sounds good, I could use to get out for a bit.

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Jim, Camping is the answer only you and her! Lay out your feelings in a non accusatory way. She should know how you feel but may not and vice versa. Tell the inlaws it's time to go, family and business is hard but a bad employee has to go no matter who their related to.

Camp, talk, relax, little fun and leave the TV off!
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, just have the DW read this thread. You won't have to say a word! I sure hope you can get your problems solved. It's not good for anybody to be under that much stress. Good luck & God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #19

Every now and then you have to take a real serious look at your situation and make some real hard decisions. I don't know about everyone else but I've had to make some unpopular decisions in the past to get myself & spouse out of debt. May not make you popular but sounds to me it you continue you as you have been you are adding to the long range problem. Bottom line is you have to do what is best for you and your family even if "they" don't approve. Just my personal opinion.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Decided to go camping this weekend. That always helps my stress level.

Really tired of being tied to the "Sticks and bricks."
The longest we've ever been away is a month, a good portion of that spent screaming down the highway to get to a destination.

We'll see. Our house and her studio have been listed for sale for a month or so. But the real estate market around here is pretty sad, and our debt level pretty heavy.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Get as much cash as you can, payoff Moho and jeep if they are not. BK, dump house and studio, sell business and tell your wife you are finically done, and you would like her to come Fulltime with you. if she says no, ask her for a better plan. if she says yes, take off. You could always home school the kid.

I know sounds easier said then done.

Just an idea, probably not a good one, but one.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
2013 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD
2014 Jeep Wrangler
Full time in 2013
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #22
if your business is causing this level of stress and you can't sell wife's shop, maybe filing bankruptcy could be something that you could look at and the two of you and your son, living in rv for awhile and just get some relief from the worry of hanging on to something unprofitable and stressful. letting go of possessions /material things could give you a whole new lease on life and perhaps after a few months the two of you could either workcamp or come up with jobs that do not cause undue stress while you take a few years to just enjoy life without so much responsibility. just don't give up on things getting better, just hang in there and find someone you can talk to.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #23
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The thought of starting life over again can be defeating. The thought of starting anew and finding happiness may be an enlightening journey.

Hope all goes well this weekend. Perhaps a heart to heart with DW will help?
The best to you and the path you chose.
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #24
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ii just posted the stuff below on another thread:
Well, maybe, maybe not.
I retired in 1998 with a pension and went back to work. We had planned to go full time when we both reached 65 (I'll be 65 in Jan and my wife in Dec 2012). Then my parents got sick and died within a month of each other. So we "inherited" all their worldly goods and the calls from creditors. No money left after their sickness and giving most of it away to my son.
Then, my step daughter died three years ago so we "inherited" her worldly goods, calls from her creditors, 3 cats AND two grandsons (9 and 16). She was on public assistance so the "worldly goods" weren't much. And no savings there either.
One grandson is out of high school but got grants to go to college and plans to keep living at home (without paying any room and board nor even his cell phone bill). The youngest is just going into the 6th grade.
Kind of ties us down!!
Our income when we fully retire will be over most couples working wage without touching any of the savings or IRA's
So, as you can see, money isn't keeping us from full timing! We are considering doing schooling for the youngest as we travel though. Schooling as we travel to various natural wonders and sites would be a real boon. I know it was when I was young!
And frankly I'm about to say "chuck it" myself! Kick the older grandson out, sell the antiques and Hummel collection, the artwork, the house, one car and GO!!!
We closed our part time business down three years ago. The inventory is in the living room and the shelving etc is in the garage. Step daughters stuff is on the back deck, my parents stuff is in the living room and family room. All of it needs to go but I can't get my wife to help at all, she's too depressed over her daughters death.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #25
Vintage RV Owners Club
Jim, you need to have an office meeting and explain to your employees the business is not making it and you may have to close the doors and let them know they may not have a job much longer. Your first responsibility is to your family (and your sanity), obviously the wife's business is toast and must be closed thus saving $2400 a month. I too am in business for myself and know the worries you face on a daily basis, there are no easy answers and it's hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel. You have to close down the wife's business now, get rid of your employees and take a hard look at your business. I wish you and your family the best.
92' Holiday Rambler 1000
The wife, me and two furry kids
If you have it, a truck brought it.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #26

Times are tough like others said.......however what are the priorities?
First to the minor...you made them, to the wife you took an oath so unless she has violated the oath you still have to honor it. Contarcts, you made contracts with others such as banks, employees etc. Sounds like the employees violated their contract but also sounds like you set the climate over the past 20 years and failed to give them leadership on expectations. Yes today there are all sorts of ethical relative means to absolve you of your responisbilities it depends on you. Time to decide.
Forest River Fifth Wheel
Ford 350 Dually, King Ranch
New Puppy Camper Boy
Helotes2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #27

This is a good thread. And I suspect many are in a similar situation, sick and tired of being sick and tired of their surroundings, work, and overall working life. When we get sick and tired of somethng we tend to take action, prior to that we often are too comfortable. I would certainly let the employees that are not worker bees know that it is almost over and that you are looking at closing or retiring the business. If they want it, that it fine; if not they are on alert that they will need to move on soon. Relationship issues can be tough but in the end you need to do something as the same old stuff is not cutting it anymore. Sometimes change is good for us albeit a little scary. Get a fresh start with the wife and let the employees fend for themselves perhaps for the first time ever. Everybody understands that you will some day retire, why not now, and effectively deal with several issue all at the same time. After you think about it for a few months or even a few years, you might restart a business, watch who you hire or rehire and move on. Life should be good not something we hate.
2005 Dodge, Cummins 4x4 quad cab, auto, white, dually 3500. 2009 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299bhs.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #28
I have a brother inlaw who closed his sporting good store, now living off of his wife for three years what a dead beat. I also have a uncle who closed their gmc,Pontiac car dealership made them sick, the good news they owned the building now renting it, they seem to enjoy the less stress now it's gone. The economy has a long ways to go.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote