Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Camping always helps... We're at the Palace campgorund in Galena, Il now, me, my DW, oldest and youngest sons, and life is good.

I don't worry about making a living, I have the skills, and can hit the ground and make some bucks anywhere I choose. This campground, they lack full wireless, I could set em up ina week or less, and make a couple grand plus a free campsite...lol.

And a lot of what I do every day could go on the road.

It's just a question of downsizing.

We live in a million dollar house with a $400k mortgage, for sale for 600k...
Including her studio and the motorhome, We're $800k in debt...
And it just drags me down.

A vast majority of the population goes to work every day, does what they do, earns thier living, and goes home. My BIL is 10 years younger than me, a terminal [Moderator Edit], who lives for his job and his lawn....

I don 't want to be like that. I wasn't afraid to toss security out the window and start my own business 20 years ago. I've done well, but I think it's run it's course. I'm not afriad to downsize, to start anew, to reconfigure my needs...

But I don't want to be stuck where I am...
To "Bleed out" here without making the move I need to make to move on to the next place.

I love the badlands. They inspire me. Rapid City is wonderful, but there is a KOA on the east side of the national park, south of Wall, that is just paradise. Iwas there once, traveling alone on business.
I'd love to take my family there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I had a good weekend camping. Wish the same could be said for my DW, oh well.
We all had a fewq very good meals, cooked and eaten outside of course.
#1 son enjoyed some beers and margaritas with me and many new friends we met at the campground.

I don't know why DW got mad at me for not wanting to watch a movie inside and then go to sleep at 9:30...
#1 son and I had a good time, walking from campsite to campsite, meeting and talking to our fellow campers. It is absolutely amazing how many campers will offer cold beer to complete strangers whose whistles are obviously dry.
And of course I did return the favor, I make the beter margaritas there are.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #31

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Glad to hear it! Maybe the DW wanted some time with just you, give her some of your time, just listen.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Glad to hear it! Maybe the DW wanted some time with just you, give her some of your time, just listen.
I agree with this to a point. From the DW perspective, if DH is spending time with kids I'm all for it. Past years working hard left little time with kids and grandkids. When we are camping, even now with fulltiming, if it's a pretty night I want to be outside by a fire, or walking around camp as well. Now if DH is totally ignoring me and just out doing his own thing, than yes I am going to be a little put out. But as others have said before, go camping alone with DW, sit down and TALK!!. I have found that we are not mind readers and don't always see what is right under our noses. Good luck to you.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Visiting neighbors is fun but always remember "If momma ain't happy no body's happy".
Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #34

Jim... Here is the reply you do not want to hear... Take three deep breaths...give your head a shake & get back in the game! Are you kidding me... you are underwater 800k and you think the answer to your "funk" is to go full-time RVing. By the time your creditors get through with you you'll be lucky to be full-time tenting & hitchhiking... Have you asked the wife how she feels about that!

You need to focus on what appears to be a good business & get it productive... Focus on what appears to be a good marriage... and make some realistic plans for going full-time once you are debt free and some money in the bank. Unless I am missing something, the job market for +50 yr old owners of failed businesses is pretty crowded. Have you added-up what you need to clear every month to maintain anything close to your current lifestyle.... Is it $30k? You are going to need to do a lot of campground Internet IT if you expect to drag-in 360k after tax on an annual basis.

Wow...if you think life looks bleak now... Wait until you business goes under and your looking at bankrupcy proceedings & the divorce lawyer is on the other line! You got the ball...don't fumble it.

Good luck.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #35

I've been there a few times.
Best advice from a 'survivor'; do what your gut tells you..... now!

I started life over 3 times and after a bunch of mistakes, am doing well now.

You are in the position of final decision. Wait too long and someone may/will make the decision for you.

All the rest is uckempucky.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
ya, I'm still here. And thanks for the comments. And no I'm not complaining (much) I know damned well I've got it pretty good.

I do have to hang until the property sells, that's not an issue. It doesn't make me happy, but it's what I gotta do. Once the properties are sold, that 800k neg becomes a 200k or more positive, after paying off the knight.

In the meantime, I do have to make some hard and foreseeably unpopular decisions areound the office. Unfortunately my 2 employees, including my wife's sisters husband and a woman the wife went to high school with, are going to be on the recieving end of that. I really don't see a choice though. Company hasn't made a profit since April, and I've had to pay this year property taxes out of my savings rather than out of cashflow.

As for that 30k monthly someone said I need to live on, it's more like half that. Once the properties are sold, my 8k monthly debt service is gone too.
Of course, that's a big part of my definition of downsizing, reducing the load.

Ya know, it's really crazy. I've worked hard (and still am) and done well, better than I ever dreamed I could. I got stuff, ya know.

What I don't have and miss the most is freedom.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post

In the meantime, I do have to make some hard and foreseeably unpopular decisions areound the office. Unfortunately my 2 employees, including my wife's sisters husband and a woman the wife went to high school with, are going to be on the recieving end of that. I really don't see a choice though. Company hasn't made a profit since April, and I've had to pay this year property taxes out of my savings rather than out of cashflow.
Those decisions may be "hard" and "unforeseeable," but you have to do what you have to do. If those folks were in your shoes, they'd do the same thing.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote