Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club

Ok, I'm ggonne lay this on you guys, mostly because it's the only place I go that my dw never goes....

I am sick to death of my life.

We've been very fortunate, life is good no doubt, still, I just don't know how long I can deal with it.

I'm 53, my wife is 49. We married late, and had our last child really late, he's now 13 and just starting 8th grade.

We (I) own a business, and have done well.
We (she ) owns a business that loses $2400 a month and has never made aa dime.

My hobby is to collect ben franklins in an envelope in my deskdrawer, and wish I could just put them in my pocket and drive awAy. B 4 I bought the new coach there was 35000 n cash in my desk drawer. About 15k now.

For the last 3 years my business has been "fading"
We just heard that our largest customer is. Now renewiing his $80k service contract.

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I hate this tiny android keyboard....

I have 2 employees, my brother in law and a friend who went to hs with my dw. Both think I amm richer than god, hate me for it, and are perfectly happy to sit around, do nothing, qand collect a days pay for it.

Some days... I just wanna put my cash and passport in my pocket, hitch the ole jeep behind the knight, and just ride off into the sunset, leaving all my responsibilities in the dust.

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Did you mean he is NOT renewing?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Time to get out of any "business" that loses $2400 a month and has never made a profit!

1998 Alumascape 30RLS FW
LibbyLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Wow ! Talk about being in a bad situation.

1. LibbyLA is absolutely correct, losing $2400.00 a month is inexplicable.

2. Immediately fire that dead overhead(2). If you are a legit business no more paying unemployment or SS.

3.Your wife must show a profit in two of five years or the IRS will be knocking on your door.

You've got to do something drastic or shortly you will be out of business, then what ?

Good luck as you are going to need it.

two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
You don't ever have to show a profit. Charter Communications proved that. I haven't for 12 years.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can totally relate to what you are saying. My career was grueling and literally killing me. (I had a minor stroke) Wife mentioned to me as a joke, "we should buy an RV and go full time. I replied laughing "yep and we could go anywhere and do anything we want" It took a few weeks later until we said to each other "were you kidding about the RV thing?"
That was 2 years ago at age 52. Too soon for the average retirement. Too soon for our old dream of paying off our house and retiring there. (dying there) I suppose I was somewhat luckier then you because my wife felt the same way I did, but maybe your wife is ready for a change?
All the equity was gone in the house but decided to get rid of it anyway. My 21 year old son was still living at home with us. We had plans to help him with college but be wasn't really into it. Our whole family thought we were crazy to sell all of our stuff and buy a motorhome, but we did it anyway.
Bought the MH cash with savings, performed recon and hit the road January 7th this year. Have a small amount of retirement money we are living on and have not had any regrets so far. Just happy we are finally doing something for ourselves. There is a certain amount of fun/danger not knowing where you will be in a month, a year, or 5 years from now. Besides, I can always be a Walmart greeter later, but I may never have a chance to do this again.
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Thor Owners Club
I know you"ll hate this answer..but get an attorney today...If she ( DW ) is not contributing anything to the relationship...financially, physically, emotionally...You don't have a marriage anyway..cut your losses...your son will understand.
Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
He didn't say he was unhappy with the marriage. Don't go the divorce route. Some other dude will be driving HER around in YOUR RV.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Sorry you are feeling unhappy with your life right now. I don't know the specifics of your life or relationship(s), but you must be feeling pretty down to reach out to the forum. I hope you will consider telling your wife exactly how you are feeling, she may be struggling too Please remember there is ALWAYS a solution to any circumstance (usually many solutions/options)...sometimes it is hard to see any, but you just opened the door to the possibility of hearing and/or validating some things you may already be considering. Telling your wife what you are feeling and thinking may change everything and maybe she will come work with you so you can let go of the dead weight employees and business that is sucking $2400 a month out of your budget
Sending you good thoughts to make it through a rough spot
"The mark of success is spending an entire day on the bank of a river without feeling guilt" ~Anonymous
Cherylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Times are tough for almost everybody today. How would you like to have been out of a job for the last two years? Throw in the towel and go on unemployment if you can or hold on until things turn around. See if the two saps you have working for you want to buy you out.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
Wait a minute, you have a buisness in ILL? Fall down and claim workers comp. I had a guy fall down, not really, just said he did because he knew he was getting laid off, over in Belleville Ill. Found out workers comp pays 97% of your gross with no taxes. No wonder Ill is broke.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
Just take a few weeks off and get out of town. Refresh your outlook my friend.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Sorry for all the stress you are under. Hope you can get out from under it before your health is affected. My husband sounded very similar to you last year. He was able to retire in March and is now stress free and we are fulltiming. I am not retirement age yet, but I quit my job, sold all our "things" and we have to watch our money carefully, since we have to live on his piddling SS check, but would not do anything differently. Sending best wishes your way.

Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote