Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a trooper once who nabbed a drunk on his way to his assigned patrol area.. Before he could get to the spot where he turned around he nabbed a 2nd, After turn around he nabbed a 3rd (We had to send a 2nd patrol car for transport).

We had some training at the post and after the class adjurned to the patrol cars they had a contest to see who could nab a drunk the fastest.. The winner spotted his suspect while waiting for the automatic gate on the post parking lot to open, Nabbed im in front of the parking lot, and pulled back via the in gate, thus completing a loop.

And yes, the suspect was drunk.

The problem though with assuming drunk is many are suspected, and even arrested, who, as it turns out, were not drunk at all. There is a medical problem that mimics drunk in all but 2 symptoms. One is the test result.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #16

Wayne, that "designated decoy" email story, in the beginning was a rural Texas bar.
I remember many years ago I had a customized Chevy 3500 van. A bunch of us got off duty (Ft. Dix) changed clothes, and headed for the local bar in my van.. I was the designated driver. After everyone got out of my van and headed towards the bar a cop pulled up in front of me and said he just had to know something. I thought I was in trouble for something, but the cop merely asked how many people I had in my van because he thought he must be on candid camera as he counted 14 people exiting.
I guess he thought it was so funny he forgot to ask about seat belts for everyone, or I would have been SOL.
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
YC1

My wife is the DW. I am the DD. Designated drunk. I feel sorry for people that don't drink. In the morning that is as good as they will feel all day.

Seriously friends. I lost my best friend to a drunk driver. The pain never goes away. Take a pillow and blanket with you. The back seat is not so bad.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Please don't drink and drive! As a retired paramedic, I saw way too many drinking and driving incidents, and coping with the family and friends of the injured and deceased.
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #19

A girlfriend of mine lost her son to a drunk driver. The driver got a lecture, 6 months in the slam, and is out. Her son is dead.

For her, glamorizing drunk driving is about as funny as ridiculing military personnel. I guess it's human nature to pick and choose that which is offensive.

I know a lot more innocent people will die as long as we regard drinking and driving as funny.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lost my dad to drinking and driving, some 19 yr old was drunk and run my dad off the road and dad died and drunk kid lived. I was 26 days from turning 8 years old, I was getting to spend the weekend with my grandma on the farm which was the BEST thing in the world I thought. The last thing my daddy told me was "I'll see you Monday morning" that Monday morning never came. Please don't drink and drive and if all possible, don't be out on the road at closing time because someone else might take your life who has been out drinking.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
..... he forgot to ask about seat belts for everyone, or I would have been SOL.
Many years ago (your words) we didn't have the "nanny state" we do today, and seat belts weren't mandated by law (except in the air).

If it was truly "many years", you probably weren't in violation.

Of course, I have no idea how old you are.

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. In the morning that is as good as they will feel all day.

Take a pillow and blanket with you. The back seat is not so bad.
"Frank Sinatra said I feel sorry..." Great quote.

About the blanket and pillow. Good idea but we worked with a guy that did just that. Went out of a bar and decided it would be a good idea to just sleep it off in the parking lot. He was awakened by a NY state trooper who promptly gave him a DUI (DWI in NY) because he had the car keys and the ability or intent to drive. Some nonsense like that. So if you do that, bravo but give the bartender the keys or hide them somewhere outside the car. Kind of sad that the guy did the right thing and got punished anyway. How his lawyer couldn't have beat that I do not know.

Back to jokes. A guy walks into a bar, orders 5 shots of scotch and downs all 5. Then he orders 5 more and does the same. The bartender asks him if something is wrong since he is drinking like that. The guy replies if you had what I have you would drink like that too. The bartender says oh my God what do you have? The guy says 50 cents.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Holiday Season is fast upon us. Merriment is the word of the day.

I remember when: When I was young and foolish, and also very lucky that neither I nor anyone else was ever hurt. Maybe there is some of that in all of us. In my case, "I fixed stupid." Both DW and I will not drink and drive. One of us will be the designated driver, most likely it will be me. Just offer me a Coke Zero and I'll be satisfied.

So for those of you who indulge in a little merriment, please, please don't drink and drive. The life you save may be mine.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I clicked the New Posts link and the thread right below this one is "Whiskey Please"
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee
I clicked the New Posts link and the thread right below this one is "Whiskey Please"
Since I started the Whiskey Please thread - I will point out the title was not - whiskey please hand me my car keys. Always drink responsibly and never drink and drive. But I'm sure you know that - just wanted to stress that. It is ironic juxtaposition though.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
It is ironic juxtaposition though.
I just thought it was funny they came up together
Old 12-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Whas yust a posihtion?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Now that the optometrist fixed your hearing we need to get you to the audiologist to have your eyes looked at.