RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 12:35 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Only caveat is to ensure those backroad bridges can carry your vehicle...
And make those 'special' stop plans with something like:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
When you were in the Battle Mountain area did you see the giant letters on the side of the mountain.... BM

We always laugh at that, biggest BM we ever saw.
Ha, yes we got a chuckle out of that too the first few times we saw it.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:06 PM   #17

For us the journey is as important as the destination, so we avoid interstates as much as possible. I do most of our planning ( what little we actually do) starting with a 1957 road atlas, A surprising number of the old US routes are still intact though often they have been resigned as State or County routes with different numbers. A route I rode much of on a motorcycle in 2007 crossed the southern US to the west coast. Starting from US 82 near Brunswick Ga to US 70 Alamogordo NM west on US70 until it meets US 60 east of Phoenix AZ. West on 60 till it meets up with I-10 in western AZ. You have about 40 miles on Interstate 10 before you pick up California 78 all the way to La Jolla CA.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Only caveat is to ensure those backroad bridges can carry your vehicle...
And make those 'special' stop plans with something like:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/
Good reason to stay with a smaller rig if you like traveling back roads and staying at campgrounds that are off the beaten path.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Drive Cross Country Without Interstates

I travel a lot for work. Sometimes 5k miles a month in a car. I use the interstates for time, but nothing is like a good two lane road. Small towns, hole in the wall dinners in buildings that are 150 years old. Town squares where the county seat has a clock tower. Smell of the dirt or the crops.
We travel two lanes in the coach when we can too. But one won’t try again in the coach is Oatman to Kingman (Old 66).
When we retire, we plan on using two lanes to truly see the county.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
Good reason to stay with a smaller rig if you like traveling back roads and staying at campgrounds that are off the beaten path.
"Go small and see it all !"
Old 10-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We avoid interstates as much as possible and probably have 95% of our travels on US highways, State Highways and county roads. So much more to see!
X2. More to see, and easier to change your mindset from "gotta make time" to "look at that!" along the way.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
What about steep hills and length restrictions on some of those roads?
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
We use our Garmin (set for our RV specs) and a truckers atlas to keep us out of trouble with roads, bridges, tunnels and underpasses. Knock on wood on nearly 25K miles never a problem.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #24

Don't forget the Extraterrestrial Highway...

https://landlopers.com/2016/09/13/ex...strial-highway
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #25

The back roads can turn in a bad dream thing . One time I was making a delivery somewhere down south .I was on a wide road with houses on both sides and as I traveled the road slowly narrowed until I found myself getting on the brakes and traveling about 50 feet on a dirt road and by this time the houses had ended , my route sign had vanished somewhere a few miles back . Something was very wrong I thought .The bigger problem was getting a 53foot trailer and a 15 foot tractor turned around. This happened so long ago I cant remember how I got turned around but I did . It happens that the hwy .dept. made some changes but never changed the signs . No, at that time I had no G.P.S. ,or smart phone just a flip phone which I was able to call the company and they got me into their facility.
Gearjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #26

Avoid interstates like the plague. Not that we’re scared of them but you done see much this great country has to offer. State, county and township roads. In MN and WI we use DeLorme Gazateer map books, also have a 40 yr old “Guide To Fun In Minnesota” map book. Mostly for toad cruises tho, still use some common sense where the MH goes but amazing where it can. Haven’t been bit yet but fingers always crossed!!!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
It has always been a dream of mine to drive from one side of the country without the use of an Interstate and wondered if anybody has done it or if it is even really possible? Just curious.
When I'm in the truck, with the bike in the bed, towing the camper behind me, I tend to use the interstate system. It's a great tool to get from Point A to Point B without any surprise 10 foot clearance bridges, tight radius turns, or excessively steep climbs/descents.

Once I get where I'm going, unhitch, and take the bike out of the bed of the truck, I avoid interstates at all costs.

In fact, I'm back where I used to live down in south Louisiana. To get from Sulphur to Lake Charles, you can take the I-10 bridge over the river. It's a little 10 minute drive over one of the poorest sections of interstate road in the country. Or you can go through Westlake and Moss Bluff (Old Spanish Trail to highway 378) then take highway 171 down into Lake Charles. That's about a 30 minute drive. The latter is much more fun and over better roads.
You certainly can go coast to coast without using interstates, but it will take you longer. If you like road trips, it will be a great one though. I say, go for it and take some pictures while you're doing it.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
In the early ‘60s stationed at Ft. Carson I used to drive ~ 1100 mi one way to Chicago, home at the time, JUST to see a girl. Then back again for Monday before the bugle sounded.

The routes were either US 24 or US 36, over to US 66. These routes have moved since then.

We like Interstates. Plenty to see, no one crossing double line on curves, fuel easier to find, etc.

Been RV’en since ‘74 and the roads have been improving all the time, (most of them).

See SOME of you on the Interstate, I hope. Peter