RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #29

You can drive all across the US on US 20 from Boston to the West Coast. It’s the longest US highway and definitely Main Street USA all across the country. The downside is that there are some overpasses that may have to be avoided if you have a tall rig.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 07:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
Yes, you can.

Wow, that is literally "the road less travelled."

Old 10-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #31

Just did it from FL to ME & back over 2&1/2 months in a 34 FT class A towing. Roads were in much better condition than the interstates. The speed is slower so I had time to see the sights while driving & there was a lot more to see than on the interstates. It also seemed much safer with so many high speed accidents on the interstates these days. We plan to travel this way as much as possible in the future.
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #32

Hwy 2 is one that a lot of people have done. We did US82 from I75 to west of Dallas this last summer and I do not recommend it. US 27 goes from Miami to Canada I believe. Nope it stops at Ft Wayne IN. Wikipedia is a valuable resource on this sort of thing. And here is some interesting info from there:

"U.S. Route 20 or U.S. Highway 20 (US 20) is an east–west United States highway that stretches from the Pacific Northwest all the way to New England. The "0" in its route number indicates that US 20 is a coast-to-coast route and major route. Spanning 3,365 miles (5,415 km), it is the longest road in the United States,"

So look for roads that end in zero, Hwy 20 and 50 for example. Hmm Hwy 2 does not go all the way it is broken in the middle.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #33

Sshh! Don't tell a lot of people that back roads are so good to travel because those interstate folks will start to follow you and put pressure on you to move faster. It's so enjoyable to go slower and not have all that rush rush traffic around and behind you. You can even stop in the middle of those old roads and not fear a rear end crash and if you just want to pull off and enjoy a scene, you can do so without fear that traffic will be backed up. Besides-RV's don't belong on freeways anyway, that's for rush hour traffic, and who needs to rush in RV life.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Some roads can be a bit extreme for an R.V.
We got a bit stuck on one in the high desert when we went looking for a Nevada hot springs.
We found it but sunk deep in the mud coming out and had to dig ourselves out.
Just make sure you have RV towing insurance and plenty of time; then go for it. It is not like you are going to starve if you have to wait for help.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #35

It’s called “shunpiking” and this link may be helpful.
https://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/Fru...rs-Guides.html
ja_landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
We have tried to travel on US Highways rather than interstates, whenever possible. Last month we traveled US 387 south out of Rapid City. What a beautiful road. We've done 50, through middle America and enjoyed it immensely. Less traffic messages a much more stress-free journey. US highways were made for big trucks so the number of possible obstacles, narrow bridges, low overpasses, etc. is minimized. There are websites you can check for this info, by state, to be sure.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #37

Newport OR. to Boston MA. via hwy 20. Haven't done it yet, but soon!!
totam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #38

Sure........done it dozens of times.

Just don't do Jerome AZ or climb / descend the cliff at Mexican Hat, or exceed he ferry lengths along the Gulf.

(or camp / potty / fuel up withing 50 miles of St. Louis / Chicago / Baltimore)

Superb trips are US 6, east and west.....100th meridian, border to border......and "leaf trips" slowly following the change from Eau Claire WI down the river road to Greenville MS. (pretty nice from Pittsburgh to Greenville, also)

On each of these, you will find food, dance, music, and wonderful PEOPLE you never thought existed.

As one raised in The Rockies.......home in WY, relocated to the Ozarks.....I have given up on my beautiful Continental Divide Country.

It is traveleable ONLY in clement weather, at which time is is PACKED with noise, lights, condescending californians, tacky tourist traps, kids and dogs. (but, if you are careful / lucky, there are sneaky places in NM and middle ID to find solace)

oz, grumpy old guy..........
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #39

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we use the Winnebago we rarely take Interstates. Just no fun! The HR is a bit different mostly due to size, but without the toad we'll go almost anywhere.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #40

In July 2019 we took US-2 from Bonner's Ferry, ID to Sault Saint Marie, ON. It was much better than the Interstates. Much nicer scenery & less traffic.
jsl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #41

I have a Class A motor home that I have put 30,000 miles on, so I know the cost per mile, but I took my Motor Cycle for this trip across America trip on back roads this summer. I went from Kelowna British Columbia (equal to Spokane Wa. for calculations) 90 percent on back roads on my Sport Touring Motor Cycle to New York City and back. Via Interstates, the internet says a shortest distance trip is 5,000 miles return. I clocked 11,000 miles 90 percent on back roads and took many side jaunts to see special places. Get the best out of your time and fuel cost by skipping the back roads in Nebraska, Kansas and Arkansas and any other place where there is really nothing spectacular to see or do. It will eat up your time and cost a lot more for fuel than if you took the Interstate. Your total distance traveled will be 50 percent or more, than if you were mostly on the Interstates. Also you GPS will not work in many of the really out of the way areas and the sophistication of the GPS does not work in the odd towns, so be careful and use a back up map or Google on your cell phone or you could lose many hours backtracking to get on a proper secondary road. The Great Smokey Mountains for one. Enjoy.
Allan I Kelowna, B.C.
lowflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #42

Two friends and I rode our bicycles and pulled a 19' TT from Florence, OR to Yorktown, VA in 2008. Saw fantastic sights, met fascinating people and have stories that will last us the remainder of our lives. Didn't get on a freeway until my wife joined me in VA to return our pickup and TT home to northern California. The backroads are highly recommended! Check out Adventure Cycling Association's Transamerica Trail map series that we used to get across the country.

donstipp is offline   Reply With Quote